marktosh

tecra a3 won't boot with new hdd

hi

tecra a3 model no PTA30E-02G008EN

i have a new 250gb hdd that has a clone of my previous (when working ok) hdd using EASEUS.

but it will not boot. after the BIOS it has a blank screen with a flashing white cursor top left.

the hdd appears ok using a usb caddy.

are there any obvious problems such as a maximum hdd size, or a BIOS update i need? Might it work if a split the 250Gb hdd into two partitions?

thanks for your help

mark

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: tecra a3 won't boot with new hdd

Tecra A3-151 (PTA30E-02G008EN)

I've not have lots of luck with clones, Mark. Sometimes they boot and sometimes they don't. 

In my experience, it's best to restore the backup image to the new drive after it's in place. I've never had that fail.

-Jerry
marktosh

Hi Jerry, thanks for replying.

This time I tried to restore using Macrium Reflect, with the new hdd in my laptop but exactly the same results (didn't boot windows).

Actually i tried twice with a partition the same size as the original hdd on second attempt.

*So i wonder if there is a problem with the hdd even though it appears to work ok in an external usb caddy? (if the disk is faulty i need to return it asap)

*And is anyone able to tell me the largest hdd size that a tecra a3 can take as i can't find this info anywhere?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help...

Mark

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Mark, it's possible (but very unlikely) that your BIOS does not support 48-bit LBA. If that were the case, the partition would need to be less than about 137 GB. The information is in here.

How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in Windows XP

Notice that large HDDs are offered for the Tecra A3.

250gb hard tecra a3

Sorry, I don't know why the restored disk doesn't work. You could try to restore it to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. I'm guessing that would work.

Toshiba Europe Backup Media Online Shop

-Jerry