pendu1
Accepted Solution

satellite c660 unable to create recovery disc

I bought the above laptop yesterday and today decided to create the recovery disc before doing anything else. However, I have tried 3 times and keep getting different error messages. These are:-

1)

Failed to read the following file

E:\zzlmg\14476xsp2.swm

error code:20150-20-00000000

2)

Failed to open the following file

E:\boot\bcd

error code:020123-f1-00000000

3)

Failed to read the following file

E:\boot\fonts\chs_boot.ttf

error code:020150-20-00000000

I have so far wasted 3 dvd's and am looking for advise. I am using Maxell dvd-r discs which, i have successfully used over the past few years on my pc and previous laptops.

Peter

Re: satellite c660 unable to create recovery disc

Please include your full model number when posting problems on the forums. It can be found on the bottom of your laptop. The number you included is only partial.

It seems like some people have better luck when changing discs, but this is just an observation from watching the forum. I'd suggest trying a different brand. However, if it's a read error from the hard disk, I doubt that's the cause of the problem.

If you can't solve your issue and no one in the community can help, contact support to speak with a tech support agent at (800) 457-7777. They might have some tips.

If there is something wrong with the hardware, you might also just want to exchange it since it's so new!

- Peter
pendu1

Hi Peter,

I already called the technical support line yesterday and they suggested the same thing as you. I was able to successfully create the recovery discs using a different brand of DVD's. Having said that, the 1st disc created OK then, subsequent 2 discs were rejected with similar error messages. Finally the 2nd disc was created OK.

I just hope that in the future - these recovery discs work OK if and when the need arises!

Thanks

Raj

Peter

I'm glad it worked out in the end!

- Peter