jimmiek
Accepted Solution

satellite c655 hangup on system recovery

I've had occasion to use the system recovery partition on my Toshiba Satellite C655 to try and restore it to out-of-the-box conditions. It hung up on 15% and gave me an error. What are my options at this point?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: satellite c655 hangup on system recovery

1. If you can boot Windows, burn the recovery discs. See the section Creating recovery DVDs/media, which begins on p. 68 of the User's Guide.

Satellite C640/C650 Series User’s Guide

2. If you can't, order them.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

If you have more questions, tell us which Satellite C655.

-Jerry
jimmiek

Hi - 

It's a C655-S5082.

I ordered and got the system recovery disks. Upon booting up off Disc 1 I selected the "return to out of the box configuration" option. It got through all three discs, then started recovery. At the 15% point it hung up. Finally I received this error:

An error has occurred:

ERROR: 10-FC12-045D

Any hints as to what I should try next?

Thanks.

jimmiek

Another question - if I decide that the hard drive needs replacing, can I just use the recovery disks to restore the system once the new drive is in place?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C655-S5082  

..started recovery. At the 15% point it hung up. Finally I received this error: 10-FC12-045D

Bad news.

If that's repeatable, you have no option but to get a diagnosis from the shop.

Locate a Toshiba Service Center

-Jerry
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

can I just use the recovery disks to restore the system once the new drive is in place?

Absolutely. That's what they're for.

-Jerry
jimmiek

What if I just changed out the hard drive? Can I use the system restore disks to bring it back to the out of the box condition even though it's a new drive?

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

Jimmiek, hello.

Jerry wrote to you :     Absolutely. That's what they're for.

I will second the motion, go for it. It will also redo the Recovery partition on your HD. Some do, some do not as this is not needed anymore as you have the Recovery DVDs. My Toshiba free upgrade to Win-7 from Vista did not rebuild the Recovery partition as the DVD is in hand. YMMV !

Have fun. Jean.