Occasional Contributor
rbockman

recovery, a joke?

I've been trying for two days now to to recover my son's Toshiba Satellite L505D-LS5005, I bought for him nearly two years ago, he'd tried for a couple of weeks and gave up. We tried the procedure of starting with the zero key held down and now I've been trying with recovery disks. Either way at the end, when it gives the message "configuring system" the computer freezes. After a new startup the computer is right back to where we started. I see that there are numerous inquiries from users trying to use the recovery function. I'm sure that Toshiba knows how to put together a good computer, but the recovery strategy is pretty bad. I do hope I can get this machine back in service, it's too new to abandon and when it's working it's pretty good. My original thought was to just reinstall the OS, but the product code is worn off, Toshiba places it on the bottom on the machine. Right now I've chosen the recovery wizard to delete everything on the hard drive. Did you know that is a 15 hour operation, 15 hours to format a hard drive!!! The recover wizard has finished and "reinstalled the system" except it does not work. It is just going back and forth between "setup is preparing computer for first use" and "configuring system". It's just going in a circle. What now? Can you describe how to reset the bios back to its original state, it asks for a password that I don't have? goodheartedsociopath@gmail.com 

L'enfer c'est les autres
Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Re: recovery, a joke?

[ Edited ]

Hello rbockman.

Can I just tell you of > MY < experience ? I had to use Recovery on two Toshibas and it worked fine in both cases. Do please, find out what your son has done to the Recovery partition or whatever is the Recovery path.

Where did you get your Recovery disks ? Your next step is to get a new set from Toshiba, yes, there are a few $$$ involved. I had to go that route for one of the a/m laptops but it ran fine and I am no wiz in this binary world. These two Toshibas are still in use after 18 months since the Recovery was made. YMMV but I hope not. 

What password is it asking for ?  If it is a HD PW, give up and get a new HD, slip it in and go again. A BIOS PW can be reset by removing the small button cell that keeps it alive, a techie process unless you are handy with a small screwdriver.

Trying to really help.  JP.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L505D-LS5005

the computer freezes  ...  15 hours to format a hard drive!!!

I'm surprised you are still struggling with that. When recovery doesn't work, it means something is wrong with the hardware.

The long format time suggests that the hard drive is dying. It repeatedly accesses the drive for a single successful read or write.

Locate a Toshiba Service Center

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
rbockman

Jerry, I did not time the operation, the program gave a message that it would take 15 hours and it did. I don't own win7, but I do own a copy of vista ultimate I'm doing a vista install now, hope it works. Thanks for the reply.

L'enfer c'est les autres
Occasional Contributor
rbockman

Re: recovery, a joke? update

Had to update this trial. I'm convinced that the recovery files on the drive are defective, whether I tried to recover from the hard drive or disks made from the hard drive it was a failure. Somehow I was able to do a format from a dos window, don't know how it allowed me to. I acquired a copy of win7 ultimate and it installed flawlessly. I'd still like to put it back the way it was, but I guess that's not possible. The hardware is not defective as Jerry assumed. I still can not figure out how to revert the bios back to it's original state without doing surgery. So, it is true Toshiba's recovery strategy is a joke for this machine. 

L'enfer c'est les autres
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you're correct about the hardware, you should have no difficulty after obtaining new recovery discs from Toshiba.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
Daopa

rbockman, hello.  L'enfer est souvent nous-même !

You can work on the BIOS. There is a site here where a user was able to do just this. Redo his BIOS, change the small programme in the CMOS, in DOS, with the proper one from the laptop maker, it involved getting the BIOS update and then by hitting the "F" key on start up, it would evoke a smaller BIOS subroutine, to seek the new BIOS programme from a USB key-drive. I read it here but I have no time to find it for you, Google for it. It has been done, that small subroutine is something new to me too but it is a great progress toward saving a machine.  JP.