fixmeup
Accepted Solution

re:blinking cursor -- will not boot up

cpu --- intel (r) atom (tm) cpu Nz80 speed 1660 mhz - built-in HDD/ssd:toshiba MK2555GSX-(s1) total memory

1024 mb  bios version v1.60

i think my son watched a movie and added on an viewer that erased the original drivers...now hd is gone and needs to be restored.  attempted several times going to f12 and changed configurations back to original default settings and pressed f9 to save and f10 to exit.

also attemped hdd recovery mode and there were to options to restore when pressing f8 advanced -- computer locked up; left overnight to see what happens and error message keeps referring to check cable.  have reboted with ac adapter and without (only blinking cursor) attempted to take out battery but unable to unscrew and attempt to use only ac adapter...

i know nothing else -- any tips will be helpful or it goes to local guy that hopefully can do a recovery....

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: re:blinking cursor -- will not boot up

Turn your netbook over and look on the bottom at the Toshbia label. What is your model number, like NB2550-N250? If yours is not a USA model, we also need your part number, like PLL2PU-00901L. In addition, were you still running Windows 7 Starter, 32bit edition.

If you want to try a Toshiba Recovery, and knowing that you will lose all your own user files, photos, music, etc, then power off the unit, press and hold down the '0' (zero) key, power on, keep holding down the '0' key until you see the Toshiba Recovery menu, and return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box setup.

If there are things you want to keep on this computer, or the Toshiba Recovery won't work, then post back with the above requested info.

Mike

fixmeup

model -- nb205-n230  // part #pll28u-00700y // made in china // windows 7 starter (unable to determine if 32 or 64bit edition)

I tried toshiba recovery many times and it does work.  systems says it is in ********hdd recovery mode********

and nothing happens after reboot.

thanks Mike for replying...will be waiting for your response

Super Advisor
miker643

mini notebook NB205-N230 Specifications

mini notebook NB205-N230 Downloads

Did you ever create the Recovery Media (in your case 16GB+ USB thumbdrive) as described on page 59 of your User's Guide? If so, use that to return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box setup. If you did not create it, you can still order recovery media.

Good luck.

Mike

fixmeup

no i never did; thank you for your prompt response and I probably will do as you recommend.  Local technican req $80.00 to repair; it would be cheaper to order recovery disk and have it around. 

thanks mike

Super Advisor
miker643

Thanks for letting us know what happened.

If it was a Toshiba Authorized Tech, I'm sure he performed the recovery for you. This will have restored the recovery partition on the hard drive, and will now allow you to make recovery media. Make your your recovery USB thumbdrive now!

Mike

fixmeup

I finally ordered recovery disk by following the link you recommended (just now, today).  Sure hope it works and will post either way to let others know there is a fix that works.

thanks

fixmeup

fixmeup

got the toshiba recovery disks today (2).  sorry but i'm still having trouble with this process.

steps to recovery

1. place the disc into the drive - Toshiba mini starter notebook does not have a drive.

2. power up the computer while holding down the "C" key

release the "C" key when the screen reads Toshiba

3. the computer will format the hard drive and install the factory image.  follow all instruction on the screen

4. Once the process is complete remove the recovery media and press any key to restart your computer.

I went out and purchase a Male to Male connector to transfer files.  Got one file in back of hard drive that has cd/rom drive and one on side of mini notebook.  Press and held down "0" to get to boot menu.  There is no choice to select, DVD drive or Flash Drive to highlight so that either one will know who to communicate with to make the

transfer. (ex: transfer recovery mode disks from d drive to c: drive on mini notebook).

upon inserting Recovery disk in d: drive; screen pops up that says AutoPlay open folder to view files from DVD drive E removable disk  instead of getting selection here to transfer files on d drive to c:mini notebook.

Do you know what the problem is?  please help if you can...I will be waiting.

thanks fixmeup