Occasional Contributor
vaisforlovers

need to re-install win7, no installation disk

I need to re-install win7 to a factory reset with formatting the hard drive. I do not have the installation disk nor can I make recovery disks because there in not an HDD recovery area. The only possible solution I have is Acronis True Image. But does that allow me to make a start up disk? I really need some help. This system is completely messed up eg Firefox with no add-ons and no way to add any. So any help ya'll can give me is appreciated. Thank you. Joanne
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: need to re-install win7, no installation disk

Which computer is that, Joanne? 

there in not an HDD recovery area.

How do you know?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
vaisforlovers

How long can you be on here before you have to sign in again? I just lost a very long reply. So I will try to do it succinctly and hope you can understand. I use a Satellite 455-S5000 laptop win 7 prem 64bit. I tried to make recovery disks and received the message that there was not an HDD recovery area. Then I went to computer management and found the HDD recovery area and C: healthy boot and page file. This looks I have what I need to do a re-install of win7 with formatting the hard drive. This was suggested by Microsoft after not being able to fix a problem with IE8. I just don't know what to do. Thank you for your help and I hope you can understand all this. Joanne
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L455-S5000

Joanne, see the possibilities in the section Recovering the Internal Storage Drive, which begins on p. 60 of the User's Guide.

Satellite L450 Series User’s Guide

If all else fails, order the recovery discs from Toshiba.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
vaisforlovers

Thank you for helping me.  As soon as I have backed up everything I will try to do the factory reset.

I will let you know if I am having problems.  I say this because I have tried the "hold down 0 key while you start the laptop" thing and it didn't work.  It just went to my desktop.  But maybe now it will work. :smileyhappy:

Joanne

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You can ascertain whether you have the recovery partitions by running Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).

1.46GB partition and other small partition are for the System Recovery Options and the factory softw...

Good luck, Joanne!

-Jerry