karen1124

computer wont start up have a flashing curser in top left corner please help

[ Edited ]

i have a toshiba satellite L755 -s5216 it will not start up when power up curser in top left please help want laptop back in use

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: computer wont start up have a flashing curser in top left corner please help

Satellite L755-S5216 Specifications

Satellite L755-S5216 Downloads

Ahhh, the old black screen of death! Try a system reset. Power off the laptop, unplug the AC from the unit, remove the battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, replace the battery and AC, power on, if you see the Toshiba logo, press the 'F2' key to enter the BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, and then boot into Windows.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

karen1124

Re: computer wont start up have a flashing curser in top left corner please help

still goes to black screen of the death.  The computer int even a year old what to do next.  Tried recovery disk but spits out disk when started tried goin to hdd but locks up on yes and no ? nowwhat

Super Advisor
miker643

If you're willing to try a recovery, knowing you will loose all the user data on your drive, then we can try to run the Toshiba Recovery utility from its hard drive partition.

Power off your computer, press and hold down the '0' (zero) key, power on your computer, continue holding down the '0' key until you hopefully see the Toshiba Recovery menu, return the unit to its factory default out-of-the-box settings.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

karen1124

Re: computer wont start up have a flashing cursor in top left corner please help

Nope  did'nt work. Then i start the computer all i get is a flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner. Then I followed your instructions I get the black screen with a non-blicking cursor in the upper left hand corner. No recovery screen.  My husband can get to the HDD recovery area, but when it ask to select "yes" to continue the computer locks up.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: computer wont start up have a flashing cursor in top left corner please help

Can you give us any background on anything that might have preceeded this problem. A BIOS update, software install or update, a crash, etc. Anything you can remember might be helpful.

Mike

karen1124

we did a recovery going back three months it worked and then we shut down computer and the curser thing happened

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

First if there any user files you want to save from your notebook, let's try and do that. This will also tell us if your unit will still boot up using another drive, and if your hard drive is actually accessible.

1. Prepare a thumb drive formatted in FAT32. It doesn't need to be large. This stuff usually only occupies about 130 MB.

2. Download UNetbootin to create the thumb drive.

3. Download a Puppy Linux .iso file for the operating system.

4. Run Unetbootin-windows-xxx.exe and point it to the Lupu-xxx.iso file to create a bootable drive.

5. When you power on your computer, hold down the F12 key. That should give you the opportunity to choose the boot drive.

6. For some tips, scroll down to the following sections at this web page.

Mounting drives and partitions in Puppy Linux

Copying your files to external hard disk or USB flash drive

Let us know what happens with this, if you're able to boot up, access your hard drive and recover your user files.

Good luck.

Mike

ikhan16

Hello Mike,

Thank you for replying to this post. I have a similar problem to this issue above. I del my HD using the system restore tool from pressing '0' at boot.

Instead of restore to factory image, I completely erased my HD. Now I dl'd a win7 home ISO from the internet and am trying to boot from CD/DVD option. But after the laptop reads the disk it continues to go to the cursor at the top left of the screen which is preceded by 2 solid lines making an upside down 'L.' It appears I have even del DOS as I can not find a C drive.

I have tried to boot from USB as well. This did not work either...

Any advice?

dknite69

OMG! this is the exact same place I am at.  But mine occured after updating the BIOS to the newest which is 2.30, I believe.  Finally got Puppy to work, but it did not recognize the HD.  I am waiting on the replacement HD now since there has been no response. 

raven2099

ok wize guy how to open and find the battery on a Toshiba Satellite a665-s6094 ???

raven2099

I have a Toshiba Satellite a665-s6094

it got the blue screen of death saying that a hardware or software prob made it cut off to protect the laptop...

i tried the recovery disk, tried reformatting it again..

but it will not read from the CD/DVD or and booting in windows safe or recovery mode from the HD freezes and goes to the BOD...

now suddenly it has a soft low town beep, and puts out a ton of heat....

ideas?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite A665-S6094 Specifications

Satellite A665-S6094 Downloads

raven2099 wrote: ok wize guy how to open and find the battery on a Toshiba Satellite a665-s6094 ???

:smileysurprised:  See this picture, empty space at the top of the picture is where the battery goes, the two sliders on either side of the empty space are the battery releases.

...but it will not read from the CD/DVD...

cd dvd cleaner disc

Ordering Recovery Media

....now suddenly it has a soft low town beep...

Computer POST and beep codes

...ideas?

See the above. Also this might help:

Locate a Service Center

Good luck.

Mike

raven2099

THE HARD DRIVE DIED SO I BOUGHT A NEW ONE...

NOW THE RECOVEDRY DISK IS BRINGING UP ERRORS.. LOL...

TIME TO PULL OUT UBUNTU

enduserF45

Hello All,

I'm having the same issue with my Qosmio F-45-AV411 and I notice this happens only when I start the machine on battery power and plug in the AC adapter, or, if I start the machine on AC and remove the plug and switch to battery power. First of all, I have found after hours of troubleshooting that by removing the hard drive, booting the machine without the hard drive and then shutting down and putting the hard drive back and pressing F2 it comes up with the Windows is resuming" message and it starts. This is frustrating. I have checked the power options, the battery works, there is nothing wrong with the hard drive since I even tried replacing the hard drive and I still have the problem. OK so the question is, what is it that I need to replace? Is it the power jack? I can order one of those. I'm running Windows 7 x86 and the laptop originally came with Vista. Try removing and replacing the hard drive, but I would like for Toshiba to give a relavent answer in this discussion.

Thanks and good luck?

Daniel

GalinAZ

I searched all over the internet and here's what finally got mine back.  Its a NB205 mini Toshiba laptop.

It would power on, see the Toshiba splash screen, then go to a blinking cursor on all black screen.

I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes without the battery.

I took it out, plugged it in the AC power and plugged in battery and it came up.

Once I got it up, I downloaded the latest BIOS update and installed it.

No problems since.