lumpy

cant make a recovery disc on new computer

i have a new Toshiba satellite m645 and when I try to make a recovery disc I get a message "the medias speed is incompatible with the device. This maybe caused by using higher or lower speed media than the range of speeds supported by the device ( 0xC0AA020F )

any thoughts ?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: cant make a recovery disc on new computer

[ Edited ]

What kind of disk are you trying to use?  DVD-R?  DVD-RW?  I assume this is using the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator software?

Mike

lumpy

im using dvd-r and what i did was i went to programs then maintance then clicked create a system repair disc then eveything was fine until i clicked create disk then i got that message about media speed device. i was wondering about what kind of cd i should burn on because of the blu ray hardware im just using a sony 4.7 dvd-r

Super Advisor
miker643

Well, it shouldn't make a difference whether you have a Blu-Ray drive or not.  All I can think is that there is something wrong with your disk. Your drive's abilities, and the CD/DVD recording program itself choose the speed to record the disk at. I made all my disks on DVD-RW 4.7GB 4X speed disks with no problems. See this:

Create a system repair disc

A system repair disk can indeed be useful in emergency situations, and it's a good idea to have one.  But, you should also be making a set of Toshiba Recovery disks. You'll need 3 DVDs to be able to make this set. You do this with the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator program. Try to click on  'Start' and type in  recovery   then click on the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator to make your set of disks.

Good luck

Mike

lumpy

[ Edited ]

tried a different blank DVD-r and it worked must have been a bad DVD-r its brand new....wierd

how do you boot up the recovery cd ?  i put it in the cd drive and just gives me the files that are on it Should I restart the computer with it in the drive already?

Super Advisor
miker643

If you were able to make your Toshiba Recovery disks, then your Toshiba Recovery Partition on your hard drive is still intact and in good condition.  You only make the Recovery disks, as an emergency backup, in case your recovery parition becomes corrupted or is accidentally deleted.

Make sure you have backed up all your own user files, favorites, bookmarks, etc, before you run the recovery utility.

To run the Toshiba Recovery Utility from your hard drive, immediately press and hold down the '0' (zero) key on power up, while the Toshiba logo is still on the screen.

In the future, if there is a problem with your recovery partition and you cannot start the utility from there, insert Toshiba Recovery Disk 1 in your CD/DVD drive, reboot or power on your machine, when you see the Toshiba logo on the screen press the 'F12' key at the top of your keyboard, at the Boot Sequence menu choose 'Optical disk drive CD/DVD drive', you will then see 'To boot from CD/DVD press any key.....' with the dots at the end counting down, before the dots finish counting down, press any key and your unit will boot from Recovery Disk 1.

Here's Toshiba USA Downloads page. Surf there for your specific model number, look at your User Guide's Contents for your Recovery instructions page number.

Good luck.

Mike

Adriane

unable to restore laptop

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. I had to restore my laptop (Satellite L505-ASSESS) and for some odd reason would not allow me to setup a restore disks for the machine prior to it's failure. I then created restore/recovery disk from another Toshiba laptop that I have and everything seemed to be going well until I got to disk3. It gave an error could not find some type of image file ( it was a "z" type of file if my memory serves me correctly) and was stuck on verifying the file for quite some time. I bypassed the verification of the file and was able to go on to disk4. When I placed the disks in the other laptop in sequential order, on disk3 it gave me problems again this time giving an error of F3-F200-0002. I then tried the pressing the "0" key the same time I turned on the power to see if I could get it restore from the hard driver and that didn't work. I followed the instructions to go into the boot setup and select the cd/dvd option and I've tried to do a restore from there. So far the Toshiba System Recovery isn't working and the other option is the windows recovery.  I'm currently doing the windows recovery. If that doesn't work, can you give me any suggestions as to what I can try?

I've also received errors f3-ff00-0006 and 10-fc06-0002 and an error of .smn file not being found on disk3. 

Thanks in advance