Occasional Contributor
ssblackcat

Windows updates after recover

Satellite L655D S5050

Model No PSK2LU-001003

Windows 7 Home Premium (32/64) 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

After spending hours trying to fix a previously troublefree wifi connection, I opted to do a recovery on hard drive. All is well but as my laptop is a year and a half old, reverting back to the original out of box state means I have about 100 Windows updates that would like to download and install. I went ahead and did this but don't think that was a good idea as my wifi starting acting up again. So I did a system restore back to before the updates and my wifi is again working perfectily. How am I supposed to handle this situation with Windows updates?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Windows updates after recover

The only way I know of to find the offending update is to install all 100 of those updates one at a time in groups of 5 or 10 maybe. Then try your wireless connection after each group.  When the wireless goes south, you will have narrowed the offending update down to 5 or 10. Then, install one or more at a time and recheck wireless until you find the one that is causing your problem. Uninstall that one and do not install it again.  Then you can let the remainder of the 100 go ahead and install.

If anyone else has a better way, please chime in.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Occasional Contributor
ssblackcat

I was afraid someone would suggest that. :smileyfrustrated:  I'm willing to try that when I have a few more hours to dedicate. I have to say that during this whole troubleshooting process, I've learned a ton and I appreciate the help I've received from these boards. I'm glad I discovered it and I'll continue to use them. Thanks!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Satellite L655D-S5050

Seems like Service Pack 1 should take care of most. I've attached a list of the hotfixes and security updates included.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
ssblackcat

Jerry - before I tried this, I decided to update my wifi drivers. I went into device manager and had it look for current adaptor drivers on the internet for both the Realtek 8191SE and Athenos adaptor that my machine uses for ethernet. I tried one and then the other and both times my wifi stopped working so I rolled them back. How important is the order that I install all of these updates? There is also a BIOS update for my machine that I have not installed either. Recoverying back a year and a half means I've got a lot of catching up to do to be up to date. It's a big pain in the rear end. There's gotta be an easier way.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I went into device manager and had it look for current adaptor drivers on the internet for both the Realtek 8191SE and Athenos adaptor that my machine uses for ethernet.

I don't recommend that. Better to go here and use those that Toshiba has tested. Laptop makers are reported to tweak chips and drivers themselves. 

I'm not convinced, BTW, that the newest driver is always the best one.

How important is the order that I install all of these updates?

Microsoft updates pretty much look out for each other. But Toshiba's drivers are a mystery to me. To be really safe, I suppose one needs to reinstall the basic video and chipset stuff before anything else.

The BIOS is another matter entirely. When you change things on the hard drive, the BIOS doesn't know it. I do not upgrade the BIOS on our machines unless I have a reason. If that procedure should go haywire, there's no easy recovery.

-Jerry