clackey3
Accepted Solution

Windows did not detect any networking hardware, Windows 7, New Hard Drive

Message "Windows did not detect any networking hardware"
Satellite P505 S8980 Windows 7 Home Premium.

I replaced the Toshiba 500 GB HD with 500 GB Seagate.

Device Manager icon for any device with yellow exclamation mark,
Click on "Update Driver".  Lan eNet details as follows:

Antheo - R8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

Browse to the folder where the setup program has the driver...
(But the yellow exclamation mark still harasses me.)

--- Go to "Setup new connection" ---
"Choose a connection option"

Click on "Connect to the Internet"

Response: "Windows did not detect networking hardware"

As near as I can tell, that translates from error 0x8E5E0247

I have this same error on other yellow exclamation marks respective of what kind of device it is.

=> To test my sanity, I put the old hard drive (same size) back in and except for the impact of slowness due to error retries, everything works okay.

Note:
Same issue (hardware not detected) for Video adapter and Audio.

I bought new USB Wireless adapter to test, and the driver installed but not activated because "not digitally signed", and that same issue fits all the above hardware.  I down loaded them from Toshiba, and they are confirmed installed, but not accepted with digitally signed.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled with same results.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Windows did not detect any networking hardware, Windows 7, New Hard Drive

Satellite P505-S8980

I replaced the Toshiba 500 GB HD with 500 GB Seagate.   ...   "not digitally signed", and that same issue fits all the above hardware.

Those are symptoms consistent with restoring to a new disk having advanced-format technology.

See my message about that.

At this point, you may need to repeat the restore from the beginning and then immediately install the new storage driver.

-Jerry
clackey3

Thanks for the suggestion..
I flattened the issue of Advanced Format before I posted the request for help.  Seagate started using Advanced Format on larger capacities as of Jan. 2011.  This 500 GB HD does not have it.

I do have more inforamtain, and now have exhausted ALL ideas on how to narrow down the issue of what came first, the chicken or the egg.

After this new information:  I am at end of rope.

One of the issues exposed: Message...
"A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting"

Event Logs have no useful messages.

How do I find what is causing: ?
"An error occurred while troubleshooting"
"A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting"
Error Code 0x8E5E0247

It looks to me like the diagnostics are powershell from C:\windows\diagnostics\system\Networking\...

If I RMB click on a test and run,
It pops up a CMD Prompt window that quickly closes.

I see rapid flashing of red text across the command prompt screen.  I bet the 0x8E5E0247 error is related to that.  Clearly I am in over my head here.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Seagate started using Advanced Format on larger capacities as of Jan. 2011.  This 500 GB HD does not have it.

If not that, I have no idea what's going on.

-Jerry
Richard218

Hi Jerry

I have the exact same computer and am getting the exact same errors. I just insatlled a replacement hard drive from Toshiba and got recovery disks form them as well. I have read your suggestions and will give them a try nothing to lose 

clackey3

Re: Windows did not detect any networking hardware, Windows 7, New Hard Drive (conclusion)

I received my Toshiba provided restore set of discs, and used them to format

and restore the Windows 7 factory system onto to the new, no A.F. logo

I had all the same failures!

Don't count on the AF logo to be on hard drives!

I located a Seagate 320 GB hard drive dated June 2008, but lives on a shelf 98% of the time; and restored to that one, and ALL IS WELL!

I service a LOT of machines.  I have been been recently harrased occasionally

with hard drive backups that are seldom used, but if needed, the restores goes

well untill right at the end, then I get a message of a data file problem.  I

now suspect it is the A.F. issue.  (I feel so dumb now!)

I use three different backup applications: Powerquest Drive Image (and Ghost is

same), Acronis, and @active Drive Image.  The problem has been so troublesome

and random, I have been doing backups (related to servicing a machine) from two

or more backup applications, hoping that... if I need it, maybe one will work. Both fail.

Now I understand.  It is related if the target machine has an old hard drive or

Advanced Format that gets imaged, then restored to AF drive.  

The factory provided restore discs were probably imaged from an old format hard drive.  Of course my Partition 3 restore image that I copied to the new hard drive was original format data copied to AF format hard drive... so it failed when used to restore.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Richard218 wrote:.

Good luck, Richard!

-Jerry
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Windows did not detect any networking hardware, Windows 7, New Hard Drive (conclusion)

Don't count on the AF logo to be on hard drives!   ...   Now suspect it is the A.F. issue. 

Exactly.

-Jerry
Richard218

Hi Jerry

I am very happy to report that the fixes you suggested worked perfectly.  Thanks for your help!

I guess I am suprized that Toshiba would not include this kind of information either with the new hard drive or recovery disk.

Anyway thanks again

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You're welcome, Richard. Happy that things worked out well.

-Jerry
clackey3

I'm discovering I am not as well as I thought... running on the  AF hard drive which was built with a copy drive from old format drive which was the product of system recovery disc set.

Review for context: Advanced Function HDD
Scenario that exposes harm caused by cloning data from 4K blocks drive to 512 bytes blocked drive (AF)

Toshiba supplied Windows-7 System Restore Discs: to factory state
Then I built the Windows-7 Repair  Disc... used later.

Hard drive was replaced when it caused SMART warning at every system boot.

Acronis was only utility that quickly detected problem (3 sectors had permanent read errors.) Active@Disk Image and Power Quest Drive Image (Ghost) did not detect the issue.

I tried Seagate 500 GB and Western digital 500 GB HDD drives as copy target.

That new drive would not boot: "Required source not found"

Booted My newly created Windows-7 repair disc, and used to to fix startup.

See images.

That worked and then the ST9500423AS disc booted.

Now... next day I discovered Window Update is not working.
I get message:

Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You need to restart your computer.

I ran Microsoft Fixit for updates.  It says it fixed two items.

I still have the problem.
The service shows "started"

Control Panel/ ACTION Center/ Maintenance/ Check for Updates
 "No action needed"

"Windows Update does not require any action"

I checked  Update History...
... It is empty, else window is vacant... blank.

Soooo..... for a sanity check, I swap out hard drive; go back to the old format (which is the one I copied).
It works!  7 updates to install, including SP1... but I did NOT install them.

Switch back to the AF drive... Update doesn't work. I am broke again.

Is this another strange problem caused by the Advance Format issue?
What to do?

By the way... I did install an Intel storage Matrix driver  update, but I do not have RAID chip, so that driver is not for me... unless I missed out on something.

Carl

clackey3

Interesting.... SP1 is supposed to handle this problem

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh848035%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I am still involved in swapping hard drives back and forth... so I can put updates and fixes on, then backup / restore to new HDD, and try it.

Nothing yet, and I am beginning to trip over other "little" discoveries that are broken.

Discover that Windows Update does not work on the new AFD HDD.  Says service is not running... but it is.  I spent most of a day trying to resolve... can't fix it.

Download an install a stand-alone fix does not work either. I can't install fixes on this broken machine.  I have to go back to the older HDD, install the fix, Image it, Retore to new drive, and it's still broken!

And it now reports "NOT GENUINE"

Also I discovered a lot of repetitive errors in Event Log, one of which is Cryptographic Services failed, error 583.
Another on Windows Search Service, 0c2004117f
Both those errors mention "database error"

Swapped hard drive back, and all is well, but now Windows update installed Service Pack 1.
Imaged drive, and restored to new AFD drive, and Windows Updates till not work.  Same error reported.

I think I need to start a separate thread?  ...regarding Advance Format Drives.  Clearly there is a problem bigger than me and my searching for fixes.

Meanwhile... how do I solve my problem?

Carl

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't know any more than I told you, Carl. Those fixes seemed to work for others. Sounds like you have more problems than just the AFT drive.

-Jerry
clackey3

Thanks for the comment.  I do realize I am beyond what you normall deal with, and I am not expecting to actually get an answer, but simply thought provoking ideas.  I am mainly trying to let other who discover this thread... to know that there are ,other issues than are obvious.  I have thread in other forums that are not drawing comments.

In this case, I have a Satellite P505 18" screen that is totally unusable with a new hard drive, and that factory recover discs do not fix it... when installed on the new AFD drives.  (I did not previously know about AFD)

I Do HAVE two  drives that do work, but one is 3 years old (ther original Toshiba), and every boot, warns me of "Imminent Hard drive Faiure" and indeed, the S.M.A.R.T. data does show sector problems, but Windows is performing correctly.  I have a 5 year old drive I am testing with... that shows no S.M.A.R.T. issues other than a lot of read retrys.  I simply want to install a new hard drive, and not get SMART warnings when I boot.  All other issues are exposed soley on the new Hard drives (I have tried TWO of them).

Another interesting ling lets me know that there are many issues at the driver development level.

(I am a retired programer / analyst; IBM, and feeling rather dumb about now.)

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/deploying-dell-systems-with-advance...

Carl

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I find it interesting that Windows 7 SP1 (after being patched with the current version of KB982018) can identify the physical sector size of drive C ("bytes per physical sector") by running this at an elevated command prompt.

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

I think you can still obtain drives without AFT. No mention of it here. (See the model numbers at the bottom.)

Seagate Momentus 2.5” Internal Drive

And see the specs here.

WD Scorpio Black

Also, the Western Digital 500 and 640 GB Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT and WD6400BEVT do not have it.

WD Scorpio Blue (1)

I don't see anything about AFT for any of the drives in the following.

WD Scorpio Blue (2)

I'm a retired IBMer too, Carl. Wrote a single-pass assembler for the 1410 in the early 60's.

-Jerry
clackey3

FYI... Information... how I made a "new" hard drive work... sort-of.

I purchased an Intell Solid State Drive, 240 GB.

Using the same image (acronis) that I restored to the new 500 GB Seagate hard drive, I restored ot to the Intel SSD model 330.

All is well.

The loss of hard drive capacity is a non-issue with  my notebook usage purpose.

Carl

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy to hear it worked out..

-Jerry