Occasional Organizer
sam82
Accepted Solution

Why does this Satellite a665-s6094 fail to boot up? It had been working just fine . . .

[ Edited ]

Is this a software problem?

When I hit the power-button on my Satellite A665-S6094 (Windows 7 Home Premium), the "Toshiba"-name eventually flashes across the lower-portion of my screen; followed by a flashing-cursor in the far upper-left corner.

This blinking cursor will go on ad infinitum, unless I choose to strike one of the "f"-keys.  Hitting "F8" gets me a window displaying, "Boot Menu":

Boot Menu

HDD/SSD        Toshiba MK6465GSX

CD/DVD          Optiarc DVD  RW  AD-7703S

<  Enter BIOS Setup  >

------------------------------

Striking the "F10" key, yields:

Boot Menu

HDD/SSD          Toshiba MK6465GSX

CD/DVD            Optiarc  DVD  RW  AD-7703S

FDD

LAN

<  Enter BIOS Setup  >

[ HDD/SSD          Toshiba    MK6465GSX  ]  is failed

--------------------------------------------

under "< Enter BIOS setup >",  it reads, --- ---- -----   -------->:           System Time   [19:23:35]

System Date    [02/16/2012]

CPU Type        Intel(R)    Core(TM) i7

CPU Speed       1.73 GHz

HDD/SSD         Not Installed

ODD                Optiarc  DVD RW

AD-77035

Total Memory Size          4096 MB

System BIOS Version       2.20

EC Version                     2.20

Language                     English 

Is it a hardware problem, or a software problem?

I have been unable to locate any of the discs that may have

come with the laptop when it was newly purchased from

Best Buy? I'll continue to try and locate the one disc that

I remember coming with the purchase (i.e., Windows 7); 

however, I do not recall if there were any recovery disc

or restore disc.

Please help. Instruct as to what to do next. Toshiba Tech Support says that it is unlikely that Hard Drive failed; and that it is likely to be a software issue {software not communicating with hard drive}.  Warranty expired November 2011.  Best Buy says that they will sell me a new hard drive; and install it under my Best Buy Tech Support {formerly, "Ask An Agent"}. I said, no, to their offer; and decided to learn more about the issue. Please help.      

-sam82             

Peter

Re: Why does this Satellite a665-s6094 fail to boot up? It had been working just fine . . .

The HDD is listed in the boot menu, which is a good sign. You could using the recovery partition on the hard drive rather than the recovery discs. Hold '0' (zero) while booting to load the recovery utility.

- Peter
Occasional Organizer
sam82

Re: Why does this Satellite a665-s6094 fail to boot up? It had been working just fine . . .

Thank you, Peter:

I held down the 0 (zero)-key while powering up.  It took a minute, but this is what appeared:

" OemHddRecoveryCallback Start . . .

Locate Handle Buffer with B1kIo  Ok . . .

Get B1kIo Protocol  Ok . . . 

Read Mbr . . .

Is MBR . . .

Read OEM MBR Region  Ok . . .

Get BootOption ()  Ok . . .

Get BootOptionInfo ()  Ok . . .

Get PciFunDev ()  Ok . . .

IsBootOrder1Hdd clean up  Ok . . . "

This is displayed for 3-5 minutes. Then the screen goes blank.

A flashing cursor then appears momentarily. It is followed by:

"  Boot Failed.    P1-TOSHIBA MK6465GSX

Boot Failed.    P4-Optiarc DVD  RW  AD-7703S

Boot Failed.    FDD  "

[ Thank you again, Peter.  I've tried repeatedly; but it seems to begin loading the Recovery Utility, but then end in this same sequence time and again.  I'd be grateful for any further feedback or insights you may have.  I am looking across from my desktop, and can see that the Toshiba has, again, flipped back into the "Boot Menu", where it continues to display:

HDD/SSD    TOSHIBA MK6465GSX

CD/DVD      Optiarc DVD   RW   AD-7703S

FDD

LNN

Once I enter the BIOS Setup, though, it continues to indicate ---->  " HDD/SSD          Not installed "

-->  " ODD                       Optiarc DVD RW

ADD-7703S  "          ]

Any further ideas?  I cannot tell whether the source of the problem is hardware or software, or both.  It's confusing because on the one hand, the machine seems to register a hard drive (& optical drive); but on the other, it seems to "not see" that hard drive.  Please help.  Thanks again.  -sam82 

Peter

It is an odd problem. I suspect a hardware failure of some sort. Either the HDD is failing or there's a deeper problem with the systemboard. I'd suggest seeking service.

- Peter
Occasional Organizer
sam82

[ Edited ]

Okay, Peter; thank you so very much. That was where my mind was going. I've just spoken again to Toshiba Tech Support &Toshiba Repairs. Toshiba says either ship it back to them, or visit the local Toshiba Agency {Gallagher Electronics} downtown for Out-of-Warranty Diagnosis &Repair.  They too said that It appears to be a deeper problem, or deeper failure.

As an option, I extended, back in January 2012, my BestBuy Tech Support on this, and other machines, purchased there.  BestBuy will look at this Satellite a665-s6094; and try and diagnose it.  BestBuy indicates that, depending on what it finds is the problem, it will go ahead, and install a new hard drive, to be purchased by me from elsewhere.  I want the diagnosis, more than anything else.

So a "free" diagnosis from BestBuy [not at all, "free", rather it required strategically purchasing another year's worth of Tech Support] ; and then, if necessary, delivering the machine to the Toshiba-agent Gallagher Electronics, downtown, for a $50.00 diagnosis, creditable or useable against the total repair costs.  Thanks, Peter. I'll post any progress in this situation.  Thanks again.

Peter

Sounds like you're definitely on the right track. Good luck!

- Peter
Y777

I got same issue. I have asked Toshiba to have it fixed....

ariellanng

I've been having the same problem and my one year warranty ended last month.  I've tried to reinstall everything using the back up disks that I purchased from Best Buy but that still didn't work.  I am a nervouse wreck because don't have the funds to purchase another laptop or hard drive.  Will Toshiba fix this problem even though it's our of warranty?

GRACIE3422

This sorta makes me mad..This has also happned to my SECOND toshiba!  For the price these comps cost..wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the top for both of mine..and for this to keep happening and they know about these faulty products yet keep putting them out there..Then if your do not have warrenty you are so screwed!!!!!!!!  Ill try to come back here and let you all know what my tech says..i didnt see where anyone came back to let us know :smileysad: 

The come I have is the S665-30V8  ~about $1700! this is so unclaaed for yaknow?!?!

oh n by the way..I keep getting a warning on mine saying it is the Toshiba MK6465GSX  and goes on with another screen saying to back up my system as this drive is about to die.

Anyways..good luck to you all and I will try and remember to come back after I get mine fixed so others can be in the know to what is happening.

We should all write into toshiba and complain..they should compensate their buyers for this when they are in the know they have a faulty product they are selling. :smileysad:

Peter

In cases like this, there's no need to consider the laptop gone. You can get a good hard drive for $100 or less. Hard drives have physical, moving parts and do wear out. Sometimes they wear out faster than others. Consider tires on a car. They wear down over time, and while sometimes they might wear down faster, it's to be expected that they do. However, you don't need a new car when your tires need replacing.

- Peter
brandon01

Hey sam...bottom line...toshiba hard drives suck...they last generally 1 to 2 years and thats about it unless you get lucky...so i would not let toshiba fix this for you because they will just put another crappy hard drive in there and charge you an outrageous price for it. my recommendation is go buy an external hard drive from seagate...take it apart (the hard drive inside the case is a laptop hard drive) and put that in your computer...you will need the recovery disks though (if you cant find them you can purchase them at best buy but itll be pricy so hopefully you have them) use the recovery disks to restore the new hard drive to out-of-box state and then you will have it set up just the way it was when you bought it...just with a hard drive that will last (and the reason i suggest an external hard drive is because you pay less than buying a laptop hard drive, and as i stated...once you take it apart...it is a laptop hard drive)
Occasional Organizer
sam82

Thank you, Brandon.  **bleep**, that was short, direct, and sweet. I like it.  Intelligent move.  I'll try it soon, i.e., as soon as I can squeeze it out of one of these pay-periods.  I'll let you and everyone know just how it works out.

Best Buy sold me another year of their Tech service, so they are offering to do it, "free of charge", under this tech coverage as long as I bring in a suitable 2.5" internal drive to drop off when I bring in the Toshiba Satellite A665-6094 for the repair.

I don't think that I'll ever want to purchase another Toshiba laptop.  Its been a grueling, frustrating, and costly experience.

It may take a little while, but I will get around to it.  Thanks again, Brandon.  -sam82

ercrimi

DO THIS BEFORE YOUR COMPUTER CRASHES

[ Edited ]

Good input from people here.  My satellite notebook hard drive crashed several times after only one year of ownership.  Both times, the computer miraculously came to life after repeated attempts to boot over the course of several days.  I ran "Data Lifeguard" diagnostic app and it reported that the HD had an error.  Windows 7 also warned of an imminent HD failure.   I decided that I had to do something before the next crash.

Really easy solution: After doing some research, I ordered a Western Digital HD with the same specs as (actually a little faster than) the original Toshiba HD.  It came with a free SATA/USB cable and cloning software on a CD.  All I had to do was hook up the new drive to the USB port and run the cloning software.  Running the cloning software was a piece of cake.  The software took a few hours to completely copy the old drive to the new one, bit by bit.  I then replaced the old drive with the new one, which was also very easy.  Booted up the computer and it worked seemlessly (actually it was faster than before, because the disk error had been slowing things down).

It cost just $90 to do this.  The only cost was buying the HD and cable/cloning software from NewEgg.com .  Note that some tech services were going to charge me almost the original cost of the computer to replace the HD, and the result was not going to be a clone of the original HD.  I would have had to reinstall all of my apps and also pay for a new Windows 7 license (!!)  

Occasional Organizer
sam82

Re: DO THIS BEFORE YOUR COMPUTER CRASHES

ercrimi, a good, sensible suggestion. My Toshiba Satellite never ever returned to actual life, however.  I'll try and see if the disk drive will spin or work. I would hate to end up back at that point in December onwards where I was attempting endlessly to reboot this virtually unused laptop. I would feel blessed if I could get to the point where I am able to run "Data Lifeguard" which I know is there, and was accessible when I first purchased and brought home the laptop.

ecrimi [http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/164474], it is important that you yourself here note that it is, in point of fact,  the original Toshiba harder itself that contains the "fatal" error.

I do recall clearly indications of an imminent error; indications from both "Data Lifeguard" and "Windows 7". I remember being alarmed about these warnings and indications since I had just then purchased, brought home, and plugged in (powered up) the Toshiba Satellite laptop.  Over the course of the next few days and weeks, I dismissed mentally these warnings as, pretty much, the machine's software just talking to itself, not realizing how important they, in fact, were.

I will try and build on your experience, and what you advise here; but I do hope to look forward to taking full, long-term, advantage of the i7 processor in this particular Toshiba machine. So I myself am considering one of the Seagate Momentus 7200rpm 2.5" hard drives. This has proved to be the "wait and watch" part of this long learning-experience, but I have patience, if nothing else.

The obvious issue with these particular Seagate products is whether or not they had ever been a part of flood-damaged inventory, with respect to the recent Thailand floods; and then, beyond that, how their pricing dynamics continue to unfold.

Several "herds" of end-users , like me myself, stormed in thinking that they could take advantage of the Seagate brand -distress, and upgrade. This culminated in an uptick that never really permitted the price to fall to levels that would truly reflect the risk of buying questionable (with respect to the issue of "possible flood damage"), jettisoned new hardware.

I'll enter the market when its sensible, looking toward a Seagate Momentus 7200 rpm.  [A Toshiba tech support guy, actually commented, "I wouldn't put that in this machine . . .  ", several months ago, nearly implying that this would be going too far for this level of laptop.] ( His sentiment was echoed by one or two guys on the Best Buy floor.)

Take it out, put it in :smileysurprised:. . . We'll see.  Still, I think your insight and experience points to yet another option, and a relatively low-cost one, at that, to addressing what should have been addressed by Toshiba itself, before these machines were ever shipped. (I'm thinking of the price tag, not to mention the "hype".)

ercrimi [ http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/164474 ], thanks again.  The different-levels of communication in these forums are priceless.

-sam82

rareexports1

Re: DO THIS BEFORE YOUR COMPUTER CRASHES

my toshiba died 4 days ago, it was about 2 years old. had it around june 2010. so what sam said is right, the lifepsan of the hard drive is 2 years.

went to tech and they told me it was hard drive failure. i was not able to save important files documents pictures. truly heart wrenching.

like other posters said, never again. i am not even looking forward to replacing the hard disk. that was a lemon and i dont want a daily reminder of how it screwed me over.

CinciKent

I've got a Sateellite C655-S5208 and have a similar problem.  Machine was working fine but when boot up occurs it shows the Toshiba screen and says it's loading files but then comes up with a BLACK screen with the white cursor.  I have tried everything and ented the recovery mode and bought disks from Toshiba but to no avail it ignores or doesn't try to enter the recovery.

I use the F8 and F10 buttons and it shows all the hardware and no errors that I can see.

Anyone out there have ideas?  At this point, it seems to me that Toshiba has a real problem if this kind of issue is so wide spread.