john_arms

Unable to restore laptop to factory settings

I'm very sorry if this is a total repeat post, but everything I have read prior has been unhelpful for my situation.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S6816, and recently many of my drivers have become corrupt and the computer has been working poorly in general, so I thought restoring it to the factory settings was in order, but I have been so far unable to.

I have already backed up all of my files and tried the method of pressing F8 upon start up and navigating to the Toshiba Recovery Wizard, but when this loads it just prompts me for the recovery discs, which I don't have, and I don't think they came with the computer, which was bought in 2008.

I have also tried holding the zero key while the computer boots, but this just freezes the computer at the startup screen and does not load the recovery tool. 

I still have access to my computer and have read that you can create restore discs using the Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator, but there is no such tool on my computer. 

It looks like the problem is that either there is no recovery partition on my hard drive or it is inaccessible, and I don't have the restore discs either, so I don't know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Unable to restore laptop to factory settings

[ Edited ]

Satellite A215-S6816 Specifications

Satellite A215-S6816 Downloads

Your system is from the time when Toshiba was just making the transition to consistently putting recovery partitions on their HDDs. As well, your specifications make no mention of the including the Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator software. However, the HDD recovery partition/utility is mentioned in your User's Guide, starting on page 57, with the proviso 'Available on certain models'. So, perhaps you have it, perhaps not.

Click on 'Start', type in   diskmgmt.msc  , and click on this file. If you have the recovery partition you should see at least 3 partitions, a 'System Reserved' NTFS partition with no drive letter, C: drive NTFS boot partition, and another small partition with no drive letter that is not NTFS.

If you want, attach a picture of that here for us to check. Use PrtScr (Print Screen), paste that into Paint, save it as jpg type file, and attach it back here on your next post.

If your system did not come with a recovery partition, you would have received recovery disk(s) with the system when it was new, which you apparently no longer have, assuming you ever got them.

Whether or not your system has a recovery partition, if necessary, you can still order the recovery disks to rebuild your system:

Ordering Recovery Media

You could also try these third party recovery media suppliers. But, we have no information on them so use caution.

Digitalmedia-labs.com

MyRecoveryCDs.com

RestoreDisks.com

RestoreCD4u

Good luck.

Mike

john_arms

Ok, I opened up the disk manager and couldn't see any partitions, but I couldn't see my C drive either. I attached a picture.

I also think my computer might be older than 2008 though because it says the diskmgmt.msc file was modified in 2006, in which case there would be no partition on the hard drive.

I know this is off topic, but since my main problem is corrupted drivers (sound, network, USB), could I just fix this by downloading these drivers on another computer, transferring them over, and then installing them?

Last thing - I found a recovery disc file for my particular model available for download online (probably illegal, I know, but I really wanted to see if it would work), and since people said they were able to successfully recover their computers, I gave it a shot and burned it to a disc. But my computer would not take it even after putting the DVD to the first boot priority and trying to load it from the Recovery Wizard, so this just makes me nervous about investing in an actual recovery disc. 

john_arms

Ah, quick update. I have miraculously found my recovery disc buried under all the crap in my office, so I'll put the disc in and see if it works.

Super Advisor
miker643

Good news. Give us update once you've finished running the recovery.

Mike

john_arms

Ok, the recovery finished and everything seems to be working fine now. But what's odd is on the recovery disc it says "the software included on this Recovery disc was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory" which I assume refers to the partitions, and yet I was never able to access them.

I attached another image of the disk management window, and it has the C drive this time. Does it look like it has the partitions?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Glad to hear you were able to get everything working. That's great!

I don't think the recovery partition is there John. I think the small 1.46GB partition is for Windows, but then on second thought I think it should be NTFS if it is for Windows. But, I'm not sure in truth.

Click on 'Start', type in   recovery  , if you see it click on the 'Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator', if it's there and starts, then you should have the recovery partition.

I would advise you to download and install Vista SP1 and then immediately after Vista SP2 to save yourself a lot of grief. First, disable automatic Windows Updates, click on 'Start -> All Programs -> Windows Update', click on 'Change settings' on the menu at left, under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and select 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and click OK.

Windows Vista 32bit SP1

Windows Vista 32bit SP2

Then manually run Windows Update until there are no more updates. Check each of the Important & Optional updates very carefully, and never let Windows Update change any of your hardware drivers.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

In your computer, John, the 1.46 GB EISA partition contains the Windows Recovery Environment. You can usually reach it this way.

How to launch the Windows Recovery Environment

There is no recovery partition containing the disk image.

Toshiba has pictures in Support Bulletin 98082629.

-Jerry
john_arms

Sorry for the late post, but thanks for letting me know what's on my computer. I installed both the service packs fine, and my computer seems to be free of problems now. I have everything backed up now in case I have to use the recovery discs again. 

Thanks for all the help.

Super Advisor
miker643

You are very welcome John. Thanks for letting us know. Just glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Mike

tpiwins

First time on here, I am having almost the same problem, but I have a satellite L505D I am having problems with the sound drivers and the USB drivers. I was trying to do a back up to save all the pictures and music. That is all I really need from it. So I can restore to factory settings. But during backup it says there was an error and then froze. I did this twice and the same thing. So now I see the Toshiba media recovery disc creator   do I have to save this to DVD and also do a back up before I restore? I checked and I have 3 partitions?

thanks