F4FZG
Accepted Solution

Unable to format drive E

As I mistakenly partially reformatted the second partition of my HD, I tried to reformat it completely to be able to use it, by using the "format" utility in  windows explorer. I'm running VISTA home edition on Toshiba L 300 laptop. However, it won't work:

At the first attempt, after a few hours the computer crashed because of an "access violation"

At the second attempt, I checked the "quick formatting" checkbox. After only a few seconds I got the message "windows cannot format this drive"

At the third attempt ("quick formatting" unchecked) It took an hour or so until the green progress bar was almost at the end. Then the whole process would hang forever. I needed to turn power off to regain control. Of course, formatting was not done.

Any ideas ? Are there alternate utilities to format the drive ? Thanks, Fred

Regular Advisor
Rickez

Re: Unable to format drive E

I need to ask what is on the second partition (E:smileyhappy: on your hard drive? If this machine has a factory setup, the second partition of your machine is the OS partition (C:smileyhappy:. Normally, on a factory setup, the other two partitions on your factory drive are partition 1 (WinRE) and partition 3 (Recovery), neither of which would be natively visible to the OS. Or do you have a custom partitioning scheme on this machine. You can always use "diskpart" or "format" from an administrator command prompt to prep a drive or partition. I suspect that the reason you are seeing the "access violation" message is because something, possibly the OS has locked the partition you are trying to format. There may be a swap and/or hibernation file on that partition.

Rick...

F4FZG

Thanks, Rick. In fact drive C is the original OS partition, still intact. Drive E, used to be drive D, I belive, did contain recovery info. The partitions are factory set, I never touched them. The problem started, when I accidently started to format the recovery drive. It was impssible to stop the format in time. Now, the drive shows up as "local disc" E. Anytime I try to access it, it asks for formatting.

Any solution other than a complete restore from the CD's ?

jkmiller42

Sorry, you'll have to manually reformat via another system! I suggest a pc tech. cause it will have to be took out, formatted, and then set up with original software & drivers, basically the same as when they put the system together at factory!

F4FZG

Thanks, I'll keep the system as is, as long as drive C keeps working. Fred