Simo44

Unable to downgrade to Win 7 from Win 8; Satellite L755-S5365

I have a copy of the Toshiba Recovery Media for my laptop and was trying to downgrade back to Win 7 from Win 8 which I had recently installed. The laptop under Win 8 refuses to boot from the DVD/CD and always launches Win 8. Looked at the posting under "How to do a clean installation from Windows 8 to Windows 7" but it refers to a UEFI Setup Menu. My laptop comes with the Insyde H20 setup utility and there is no "Secure Boot" option. How do I get the Toshiba to boot from DVD/CD?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Unable to downgrade to Win 7 from Win 8; Satellite L755-S5365

Satellite L755-S5365

Windows 8 does not do a complete shutdown unless you tell it to. Hold down Shift when clicking Shutdown to do so.

Restart also shuts down completely before restarting Windows.

-Jerry
risestar

If you have Windows 8 or or upgrade to it, it allows you to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro.The regular Windows 8 does not, so if you dont have Win8 Pro, you need to first upgrade and get the upgrade key which should be stored in your bios.

You must disable secure boot in PC settings, then go into bios and disable UEFI and switch to traditional bios as well as doing the same for the bootable discs in the bios settings,or your system won't even detect your Windows 7 install disc.

Now, download the windows 7 install.iso from the microsoft site or here

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-link...

and download the microsoft windows 7 dvd tool

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

to burn the .iso to a DVD or bootable USB stick. You must delete all the existing partitions on your drive and create new ones as the windows 8 and windows 7 ones aren't compatible. Make sure you burn your Windows 8 restore discs first or you'll lose the ability to go back to Windows 8 in the future if it ever becomes useful. Once you install Win7, you might have to call microsoft if you have trouble activating it and explain the downgrade and they'll activate you.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

if you dont have Win8 Pro, you need to first upgrade and get the upgrade key which should be stored in your bios.

Did you use a key from Windows 8 Pro to activate Windows 7 Professional?

It says here a Windows 7 key should be used.

Understanding downgrade rights

-Jerry
risestar

[ Edited ]

No, you can use the Windows anytime upgrade to bump you up to Windows 8 Pro if your OEM computer only came with regular Windows 8 installed

What they are talking about there is if you use a regular retail Windows 7 disc to install, it may ask you for a product key as you install if it does not detect your key from the bios.  What I did was downloaded the Windows 7.iso from Microsoft and added the $oem$ folder to the sources folder using Ultra ISO and then burned it to a DVD and it installed and activated without a hitch.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/15733-Windows-7-DVD-%28Multi-Brand-Multi-Edition%29-Activat...

Otherwise, you will just need to use a Windows 7 key that came with your retail version of Windows 7.  If another computer is still using that key, it is ok as you can later call Microsoft 1-800 number and explain whats going on and they will activate the install for you.  The key is just to get you past the install screen.

With mine, the only issue was that the Toshiba site didn't list many Windows 7 drivers for my Laptop, however a similiar model was the same laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed and I downloaded and used the Windows 7 driver for that model and all went ok. 

Example  My model was P870-BT3N22  == Windows 8 preinstalled

So I used the drivers for model P870-BT2N22 == Windows 7 preinstalled 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..added the $oem$ folder to the sources folder using Ultra ISO and then burned it to a DVD and it installed and activated without a hitch.

Very good. Thanks.

-Jerry