JSteeleAZ
Accepted Solution

USB Recovery of Netbook (NB505-N500BL) w/o USB Boot Option

[ Edited ]

I recently recovered from malware, and would really like to recover the netbook to out-of-box state.  I've found the links to order the recovery USB (this netbook does not have a DVD drive).  The manual suggests creating/using recovery media on either DVD or USB.  

In checking out the boot menu though, it doesn't appear to have a "Boot From USB" option.  It only shows HDD/FDD or LAN.

The only thing I can think of is, when a bootable USB is attached (at start-up), the boot menu will recognize it, however, my experience with BIOS/boot menus, this isn't expected behavior (it should show up as an option whether or not something is connected).

Is there any way to do recovery of this netbook?

Refers to: Toshiba NB505-N500BL Netbook with Win7 Starter Pre-Installed

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: USB Recovery of Netbook (NB505-N500BL) w/o USB Boot Option

mini notebook NB505-N500BL 

The only thing I can think of is, when a bootable USB is attached (at start-up), the boot menu will recognize it..

I think you'll find that when there is a drive plugged in, the BIOS does indeed show USB in the boot sequence.

Notice in the section Restoring from recovery DVDs/media, which begins on p. 60, you are instructed to insert the USB flash drive before turning on the computer.

-Jerry
JSteeleAZ

Bang!  Yes, there it is.  It's funny how I thought I "tried everything".  Everything but the one thing that I didn't expect to work.  Thanks for the quick response!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You're welcome. Happy to help.

-Jerry
jcapduhan85

sir, good day, can i have a copy of this recovery software for NB505?

I cannot format my new NB505-N500BL to a new Windows 7 Starter OS.

Thanks for your advance help.

wimpy002

Hello, do you have the link where we can order the recovery USB for the NB505-N500BL? (A clean install of Windows was done on mine & I can't access the recovery partition.)

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

-Jerry
Rado_sa

Hi,

I bought my NB505-N500BL in USA, but I am living now in Bulgaria.

Do you know how can I order USB recovery, when my country is not in the ''country'' list and the form is not accepting my actual address?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I am living now in Bulgaria.

So far as I know, you will need to make arrangements with an acquaintance in a country Toshiba America ships to and have it reshipped.

Order recovery media message

-Jerry
Rado_sa

Thank you Jerry!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good luck!

-Jerry
arttam54

can someone pls send me an iso of the nb505 recovery media,  mine was corrupt when I made it and i can not get it to complete.   arttam54@gmail.com   thank you.   U will be saving me from my sisters revenge.  Her system does not have a dvd so an usb iso is best