sammyj

Toshiba won't boot up

Hi, 

I have a Toshiba Satellite C655.  I am having trouble getting to my desktop and was wondering if anyone could help.  

When starting the computer, I get the normal Toshiba welcome screen along with the chevron logo etc.  Then, after about 3 seconds, it goes to a black screen with a white cursor at the top.  The cursor is NOT blinking.

On the Toshiba welcome screen I am only offered to hit F2 for Setup Utility or F12 for Boot Manager.  Both of these buttons will take me to the InsydeH20 Setup Utility screens and Boot Manager Screens respectively. 

However, I really don't know what to do from there.  I see lots of options but as a novice I don't know which options might help.  Can anyone give me some directions?  

PS - I have tried all the other stuff, unplug, take out battery, etc.  I would be happy to provide screen shots if needed.

Thank you so much!

Sam

Peter

Re: Toshiba won't boot up

After entering setup, there should be instructions telling you what buttons to press to reset the settings to default. Do that, and then save and exit.

Is there any change after doing that?

- Peter
sammyj

When I hit F2 and enter Setup Utility, at the bottom of the screen it says to push "F9" for setup defaults.  Nothing changes.  See screen shot of what I get when I hit F2.

http://twitpic.com/88kx9y

Thanks!

sammyj

And yes I did hit "Save & Exit", it just booted right back up and went to the black screen with the cursor.

Peter

Which C655 do you have? There should be a label on the bottom.

You could attempt a recovery. Recovering your laptop to its original, out-of-the-box state is a great way to eliminate software as a possible cause of the problem. Note that doing a system recovery will return the laptop to its default conditions, completely wiping your data. Information on how to perform a system recovery can be found in your user's guide. Most likely, holding '0' (zero) while booting will start the recovery tool.

- Peter
myster

Try this:

Unplug from the power source. Take out the battery and let it sit for a min.

Plug the battery back in. Plug in the power and turn on the power. 

Cross your fingers and hope it works. Good luck!

sammyj

I have the S5137 model.  I will try and use the manual to restore the computer to original settings.  Pressing zero at start-up did not work. 

vadeux

did you resolve your issue?

i am having a similar problem with my satellite l300d.

one thing of note is that on my main setup utility page, where it says hard disc drive the status to the right says "none".

is that your case?

i am wondering if my hard drive is dead or has come loose inside the machine.

i have tried the setup default etc and all of the tips in the responses above.

it remains a mystery.

MikeG1

Checo Youtube hard drive to see if it is loose. If not it could be the connections are bad or your hard drive is. I purchased an adapter kit at that has a power supply so I could connect it to a USB port on my desktop to see if it was good an to back up the drive to an external hard drive. My sisters laptop is doing the same screen. Recovery disc did not work and neither did a stick. Time to check the mother board. Oh what fun.
MikeG1

I suspect the BIOS are corrupted.