RussellS

Toshiba Satellite a505-6005 hard drive issue and questions regarding options I may have

Issue: start up computer and windows does not start. It eventually goes to a startup repair screen and eventually says "resolving disk errors...", and that's if it even gets to that screen. Unfortunately I never made a recovery disk or system image discs (I know that was not smart). I did however kept my files backed up so that was good.

Steps I took: Took it to Best Buy and the tech advised me that the Black Tie 2 year protection had expired on Jan 30th 2012, and so it could not be repaired for free. I asked the tech there how much it would cost to fix and they had advised me that it was most likely a hard drive issue and that it would cost nearly $400 to replace/fix it. So I decided to buy a new Asus K53E-BBR14 laptop since it was not much more. When I got home and loaded everything up and got the computer to how I want, I went ahead and made a recovery disc and system image disc's. I tried using the recovery disc that I had made with my Asus in the Toshiba laptop and boot it from the dvd drive and it did not get anywhere. So I ASSUME that it really is a hard drive error because the RAM worked just fine in my new laptop and "repairing disk errors.." means something is wrong with the hard drive:

Now that you know the background of what has happened my questions are as followed:

1. Can I buy a new hard drive for the Toshiba and use the recovery and system image disc's i created on the new hard drive that i install in the toshiba? and just removed the bloatware from Asus (or does that not even get added to the disc's I created)?

2. If so, will it prompt me to enter the Windows 7 product key? and therefore using the product key located on the bottom of the toshiba?

3. What other steps could I take to make this toshiba laptop salvageable? This way i can turn around and sell it.

Thanks,

Russell States

RussellS

Re: Toshiba Satellite a505-6005 hard drive issue and questions regarding options I may have

Also,

I noticed that i can purchase (well pay the shipping anyways) recovery media from Toshiba. Can I use that on a new hard drive installed in the toshiba?

BTW ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and no problems were found with the memory. and i do not care about the old hard drive as I have MY files backed up. I just want to try to get this toshiba laptop back to being "like new".

Thanks,

Russell

RussellS

Re: Toshiba Satellite a505-6005 hard drive issue and questions regarding options I may have

Did the "pressing 0" thing and it gets all the way to preparing the recovery and then it gives me Error: 08-0E89-0000. According to previous posts, that error means the hard drive is bad. I'm done fussing with the hard drive. Cant I just get a new hard drive and order System Recovery Media from Toshiba and get this thing back to working? <-----please answer that question.

RussellS

if all youre going to do is copy and paste the same thing twice then dont reply at all. I'm done seeking help from these forums since all I get are copy and paste replies that do not help!

RussellS

I decided to order the Recovery Media for the computer and then once i get it in i'm going to go get a new hard drive and go from there.