rubydash2
Accepted Solution

Toshiba Recovery disc vs Windows 7 disc

[ Edited ]

I was having problems with my computer loop booting (Toshiba P745-S4320) and so I turned my laptop over to my sister to try and fix it.  I guess she "reformatted" the hard drive and put a new operating system on it called ubuntu (sp?).  I want my Windows 7 back so I took the laptop over to best buy because it is still covered by warranty and Best Buy told me Windows 7 is no longer anywhere on the pc and that I have to order a Toshiba recovery disk.  If I order the recovery disc will it reinstall windows 7 even though there are no windows 7 files anywhere on the pc, or do I need to order a new Windows 7 disc and install windows 7 using that disc? I do not want to have to pay for both a Toshiba Recovery Disc and for a windows 7 disc.  

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Toshiba Recovery disc vs Windows 7 disc

[ Edited ]

Ruby, the Toshiba Recovery Disks will return the computer to what it was when you first brought it home (see specs below). The Operating System will be Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. You need to back up any personal files from your current setup because they will all be lost when doing the Recovery. I've also given a link to your User's Guide which gives complete instructions on how to run a Recovery beginning on page 62 . Finally, there is a link to the Toshiba site where you order your recovery disks.

P745-S4320 Specifications

P745-S320 User's Guide

Order Recovery Disks

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
raven2099

ubuntu linux is far more secure then windows, and if your pc in under warrenty toshiba should give you the recovery disk totaly free like dell and hp and microstar , and ibm does....

or you can goto walmart and by windows 7 for about 100$

deep_saur

[ Edited ]

I just fixed my sister's laptop; the problem was the boot record of her laptop was corrupted (possibly due to some malware). I had the Windows-7 recovery disk prepared as part of creating recovery disk. I just put the recovery disc and booted the system it automatically fixed the boot and everything was perfect, starts working as it was before boot record got corrupt.

WaveRunner

Wrong !!  One should exhaust all efforts that provide FREE repairs and recovery discs first.  Many Toshiba laptops have a "hidden partition" on the hard drive that allows one to CREATE their OWN Recovery Discs. In addition, should the laptop still be able to "boot" the individual can either Retore to an ealrier point OR Boot up from the "hidden partiton" and re-install Operating System The original owner was at fault like my self for not being aware of Toshiba registration and support website. In addition, being sure that one has recovery discs is the first thing one should do when buying a New System. 

Yet..I agree that the original owner should be able to back to the retailer and for a small charge--$20 -- reinstall original OS with Apps and Programs that came with it originally.

Regular Advisor
MadRN

The recovery disk set is only $35 or $40.   But to save having to pay the manufacturer, the computer buyer (portable or desktop)  should sit down and make probalby 2 copies (at least one set, 2 is better)   of recovery disks just as soon as that computer comes out of the box.  Then you have them when you need them.

normbar

I bought a Win7 64 Bit HomePremium (EN) for my laptop at the cost of £20.55 and when I received it it was scratched on the back of the disc.  I contacted Toshiba stright away but they have not even replied or sent another disc out.  The disc came from arvato bertelsmann......Come Toshiba we expect better back up service this is not acceptable.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Toshiba and Windows have provided you with all the proper tools to recover your OS. If you care not to follow the guide lines, then it's your own fault. I'm really tired of hearing all these complaints. Recovery discs should be made right after taking the PC from the box and turning it on. There is also a hidden recovery partition provided my Toshiba. There is a little bit more responsibility to owning a computer than just knowing where the power button is. This reply makes no sense to me??

Quote.

I bought a Win7 64 Bit HomePremium (EN) for my laptop at the cost of £20.55 and when I received it it was scratched on the back of the disc.  I contacted Toshiba stright away but they have not even replied or sent another disc out.  The disc came from arvato bertelsmann......Come Toshiba we expect better back up service this is not acceptable.

PS Great reply CB. You covered all the bases!!

Dokie!!

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
machaz

Is recovery media dvd same as window 7 installation disk?
Can recovery media dvd be used on window boot manager screen?
When recovery media dvd restore laptop back to new, does it still have or give the hidden recovery factory setting to laptop? ( satellite P755-S5120 )
Please reply Really need to know
Regular Advisor
bmurray

machaz wrote:
Is recovery media dvd same as window 7 installation disk?
Can recovery media dvd be used on window boot manager screen?
When recovery media dvd restore laptop back to new, does it still have or give the hidden recovery factory setting to laptop? ( satellite P755-S5120 )
Please reply Really need to know

No they are not the same.  The Windows Installation Disks are much more useful.

I don't know what you mean when you ask if the recovery disks can be used on windows boot manager screen?  What exactly do you mean by "windows boot manager screen"?

When you use the recovery disks, it will return to "out of box" condition which also includes the recovery partition if your laptop came with one originally. 

Hope that helps.

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
machaz

[ Edited ]

No they are not the same.  The Windows Installation Disks are much more useful.

I don't know what you mean when you ask if the recovery disks can be used on windows boot manager screen?  What exactly do you mean by "windows boot manager screen"?

When you use the recovery disks, it will return to "out of box" condition which also includes the recovery partition if your laptop came with one originally. 

Hope that helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can the toshiba recovery media cd works the same as window installation disk ( window boot manager need window installation disk in order for the laptop to work again I think ). 

How are toshiba recovery media cd different than Window 7 installation disk?

I thought toshiba recovery media cd gives the laptop the window 7 and return the laptop to original form (better than window 7)  Window 7 installation disk only gives the window 7 type and doesn't have wifi conect wifi programs, sound programs, hardrive , etc. (((((Check Attachments for Window boot Manager looks like on my  P755 laptop and cannot bypass))))))

Regular Advisor
bmurray

yes, the Toshiba recovery disks are intended to return your computer back to its "out-of-box" state.  However, I have personally experienced, and witnessed many accounts of the disks failing.  On the other hand, having the actual Windows Installation disks, I have heard very few issues with unless they have been damaged, or there is some hardware issue with the computer. 

You are correct in that the Windows installation disks do not provide the drivers that you will need to get the system up and running.  Namely, the chipset driver. 

If you don't have the Windows installation disks then it is a moot point.  Do you have the recovery disks?  If not, you can order a set from Toshiba.  You can also try and do a restore from the recovery partition if it is still intact.  See user manual for the procedure.  Prior to doing this though you will want to recover any/all of your personal information from the drive because when doing a restore, all data is wiped from the drive.

machaz

Please reply
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi Toshiba recovery to factory setting will eliminate soft ware problems. If you have hardware problems then no back to factory will not fix your problem.:smileywink:

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
machaz

Can I still used the toshiba media dvd if my laptop p755 has no cd rom on boot option?
Regular Advisor
bmurray

are you saying that the cd/dvd drive is not working or is it just not being presented as a choice when accessing the boot menu?  Toshiba also offers the recovery files on a flash drive.  It is a little more $ but is reportedly less error prone.

machaz

The cd rom is not present in the boot menu and is still working. Again would it work? I forgot how much the recovery media on the usb cost? What do you mean by reportedly less error prone
Regular Advisor
bmurray

well, can you go into the bios and see the cd/dvd drive in the boot order there?  Strange that the drive works but is not showing up in the boot order menu.  If you can't tell your computer to boot to a drive other than the internal hd, then your not going to be able to use the recovery media.

From what I have seen here in the forum, one of the common problems folks encounter is when restoring their computer with the recovery disks is that it asks for you to insert a disk for which is not provided.  This issue is never encountered with the flash drive recovery b/c the whole recovery is located on the one drive. 

TVulgaris

I notice you have an L305. A friend gave me one with a hacked Win7 Ultimate installed, and I'd like to just revert it to the OEM install, but I can't access the recovery image (if there is one) because the Toshiba recovery function is gone and the generic Win7 recovery can't see the Toshiba image format (assuming that wasn't overwritten too). Would you or anyone else know how I can get the Toshiba recovery-at-boot capability back (not the program to generate recovery disks, that won't help.) There IS a recovery partition on the HDD, I can view it with parted, diskpart, etc. and even see some kind of image file there, but that may have been made from the hacked install (in which case, it SHOULD recover with the Win7 RC, but doesn't.)

I'm not above buying a set of recovery disks, but that may not be necessary.

machaz

Thank you for everything you have done! I fianlly got my toshiba recovery disk and somehow I press f12 and click on O~ forgot the spelling but I click it and finally my laptop is restoring right now! Thank you bmurray !