Occasional Contributor
ander

Toshiba Recovery Media Creator doesn't work

Hi,

I have a new NB255-N250 netbook. I've tried to use the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator to create a set of recovery files to reinstall everything to factory defaults.

I run TRMC and it asks me to insert a USB drive of 7.3GB or greater. I insert my (blank, FAT32 reformatted) 8 GB USB drive, and the TRMC seems to proceed normally. But when it reaches about 1/3 of its progress, it stops and says:

An unexpected error occurred.

Error Code: 040EAE-05-00000000

(That doesn't help much, does it?) Does anyone know what's wrong, and how I can fix it?

Also, I've bought an SSD to replace the netbook's spinning hard drive so it will operate faster. Assuming I eventually make the recovery images, will I have any trouble restoring them to the SSD instead of the original spinning drive? Or is there some Microsoft and/or Toshiba weirdness that will interfere with that? (As far as I know, Microsoft's license allows you to reinstall Windows on the same machine, as long as you've upgraded only one or two components, but I've read strange things about this kind of situation.

I've tried several times to call Toshiba's tech support (800-457-7777), but there is no answer, no voice mail, nothing. Thanks for your help!  Ander

Regular Advisor
Rickez

Re: Toshiba Recovery Media Creator doesn't work

I'm *pretty* sure that swapping hard disks will not affect product activation.

Your right I don't know what 7734 that error means, but you may be able to manually construct the USB. Prep the drive manually. That is make sure it formatted (NTFS or FAT32) and that the partition is active. Now reboot the machine, (leave the drive in the machine) and as the machine starts to boot hit the <F8> key. You should eventually be prompted with a "Repair Your Computer". Hit <ENTER> and go through the logon screens until you see a menu. Open up a command prompt from the menu and then with the command prompt box still open go back to the menu and now launch the "TOSHIBA Recovery Wizard". Once you see the first TRW menu. Go back to the command box. You need to identify the drive letter of your USB and the TRW drive letter which is most likely "Q:" whose volume label will be "HDDRECOVERY". Copy (robocopy Q: <USB>: /E) all the files from this drive to your USB drive. Close the command box, exit TRW and then click the click the <Shutdown> button on the menu. Now try booting from you USB. If it boots and launches TRW then, power off the machine, insert the new drive and try recovering to the new drive.

Rick...

Occasional Contributor
ander

Thanks for your help—I'll try this as soon as I have a chance!

Occasional Contributor
ander

Rickez: Wow, it worked! I'm impressed. Thanks very much!

Here's my next question (well, several, actually, but I'll try to keep it short):

I'd really like to have the recovery files on DVD too. Now that I have them on the USB drive, can I somehow burn them to a bootable DVD? Or must I still order a $30 recovery DVD from Toshiba? (Toshiba's webpage says, "There is no charge for the software itself, for which customers already own licenses...", so apparently I'd be allowed to save my own copy.)

If I can't burn a bootable DVD, can I at least copy the partition to DVD so I could, if necessary, copy it back to the USB drive to do what you've described here? That'd still be better than having to switch the hard drives (and hoping the original drive's data was still intact). Thanks again!

Regular Advisor
Rickez

There in's the irony. You shouldn't have to purchase the media because that's what the RDC is for. <shrugging> You could do as you say and if you had to copy from the USB to the HDD partition. You might try the RDC again, but before you launch it, try temporarily disabling some things, like the anti-virus, etc. The only way I know to develop the DVD on your own is to turn the files into an .ISO and then burn it. To my knowledge, this requires a couple of proprietary Microsoft tools. There may be some third party apps out there though. Finally, you can copy the files to DVD, it just won't be bootable and so the actual recovery process may not work like it does from the USB, but again you could copy it back to USB and you suggest.

Rick...