mikemangue

Toshiba Recovery Media Creator Error Code 020150-20-00000000 (Satallite L755-S5308)

We just received 2 - Toshiba Satallite L755-S5308 Laptops over the thanksgiving holiday from Best Buy and the first thing we normally do after powering up the laptops is to create our recovery disc sets to DVD's. However, both laptops are giving the same error message on both machines at the same point in the creation of the Recovery DVD Disc 4 when using the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator. Please See Eror Message Below:

Failed To Read The Following File.

D:\ZZImages\ZZImages\Preinst18.swm

(Error Code: 020150-20-00000000)

If you are getting this error message then you will not be able to restore your laptop factory software and operating system (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

Peter

Re: Toshiba Recovery Media Creator Error Code 020150-20-00000000 (Satallite L755-S5308)

First, let me just say thank you for making the discs right away. That step is commonly skipped!

I have noticed that the recovery media creator is extremely picky about blank DVD brands. Try switching to a different brand. Usually higher-quality (and, unfortunately more expensive) discs seem to be luckier.

- Peter
AAndy42

Re: Toshiba Recovery Media Creator Error Code 020150-20-00000000 (Satallite L755-S5308)

Peter

I've read a whole lot of excuses about this piece of "software". 

As one who has designed & implemented Software on a number of systems, I think I can say that software that is "picky" about the diskette quality &/or preferring a DVD-R is pretty much untrustable.

The fact that what ever this thing produces won't be tested until there is a critical problem is almost criminal.

For each of us that have bothered to write in and question or, in my case complain, there are ten's & probably hundreds  who just ignore it.

...And the fact that IT ALLOWS YOU TO CONTINUE AFTER A FATAl ERROR is inexcusable.

Is this just a way to get us to shell out an additional 30 or 40 dollars to purchase them from Toshiba?

regards

Andy Schmitt

Peter

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that it allows you to continue after a fatal error. It is telling you that the media creation failed. I'm assuming that it's having an issue with the particular discs because it's happening on two notebooks. If it was happening at one, I'd question the hard drive.

I don't have any other information about the software. I definitely didn't write it!

- Peter
AAndy42

Re: Toshiba Recovery Media Creator Error Code 020150-20-00000000 (Satellite L755-S5308)

No, it actually has an option to Ignore the error & continue on writing the next disk.

Who ever let this software out into your customers is guilty of incompetence if not gross negligence!

A user might very well think it's acceptable to accept the error & continue only to find these disks to be garbage when they are needed. 

I used 2 different types of quality DVD's and got failures in both.

So I take it there isn't any way to get this "secret" partition off the drive w/o purchasing several different manufactures blanks & trying them one at a time OR buying them from Toshiba...

Both the DVD & Hard drive on this laptop are functioning perfectly with other software. 

Blaming the hardware is not a good option. 

Peter

Re: Toshiba Recovery Media Creator Error Code 020150-20-00000000 (Satellite L755-S5308)

I understand your frustration, but I don't have any other information.

You could create an image of the entire HDD onto another drive, but this can be a headache for a lot of users and would require specialized hardware and a HDD enclosure. As such, it's not a feasible solution.

- Peter
AAndy42

That's what I did... Paragon makes some really nice, reliable & eaasy to use software for this...

Occasional Contributor
artfd

[ Edited ]

However, both laptops are giving the same error message on both machines at the same point in the creation of the Recovery DVD Disc 4 when using the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator. Please See Eror Message Below:

Failed To Read The Following File.

D:\ZZImages\ZZImages\Preinst18.swm

(Error Code: 020150-20-00000000)

If you are getting this error message then you will not be able to restore your laptop factory software and operating system (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

If this is coming from a brand new laptop and the machine is telling you you cannot restore your original factory software and operating system, then it is defective out of the box.   Toshiba either owes you a new machine or a free copy of their Recovery DVDs -- ones that will work. 

Of course you may never need the recovery discs, but when you suddenly discover the need, it will be a bit too late.

Occasional Contributor
artfd

You could create an image of the entire HDD onto another drive, but this can be a headache for a lot of users and would require specialized hardware and a HDD enclosure. As such, it's not a feasible solution.

Oh,come now.  You can buy 'specialized hardware' -- an HDD enclosure -- from a widely known online computer store for $12.99 with free shipping, and a spare plain old Seagate 500 GB hard drive (nothing very special about it, except that it costs more since the flooding in Thailand) running at 7200 rpm from a different widely known online computer store for $99.99 (shipping extra).  Seagate gives away its branded version of Acronis True image for free.  It is not that hard to use.   I believe the L755 has a 500 GB 5400 rpm hard disc drive, so this Seagate may make the laptop run faster under some conditions.   Creating an image of the laptop HDD onto this 2nd HDD mounted in the enclosure may take hours, but consider the only other alternative, below:

Anyone who thinks that solution is not feasible can just wait until their one and only hard disc drive fails or develops a software problem.    Without usable recovery discs, the machine must be dropped off or mailed to a service center.  Compare the waiting and the expense to have someone else solve that kind of problem with the effort and expense of preventing it.   If you don't mind being without your computer for a few days or weeks, go for the simple way.

By the way, even the best home-burned optical discs are prone to develop unexpected failures after they are created.  I've never had a factory pressed optical disc properly stored develop a late failure.  If these work out of the box, they work a couple of years later.   The technologies behind a home-burned disc and a factory-pressed disc are different.

Getting back to my original point, should your 1st HDD fail, and should you have a 2nd HDD with the cloned image of the 1st HDD, your recovery takes as long as it takes to remove HDD #1, installed HDD #2, and reboot your laptop, involving about 5 minutes of your time and perhaps a small screwdriver.  You can test whether or not your cloned backup works the same way, by installing HDD #2 and seeing if it works.   If you only have a single HDD, there is no good way to test your recovery media, since they overwrite your original HDD.

complady

[ Edited ]

I just had this happen on model S5381 and I called Toshiba's 24 hour customer service number which is 800-457-7777.  I was transferred to tech support where she took control of my new computer and went to the utility folder as the user's guide instructs and proceeded to the place on the computer where one can create a recovery media DVD.  She unchecked the box before the word verify at the bottom of the screen and everything was created all 5 DVD's.  I don't know what the verify does but she said it wasn't needed so hopefully this is correct.

jkmcmu

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem, did you ever figure out the problem? Mine happened on Disk 3.  I was able to make all of the recovery disks except #3.  I did as the first person did and started my new laptop right out of the box trying to make the recovery disks as directed.  I'll try removing the verify.

jkmcmu

Removing the verify check box worked. Thanks!!!