NigelR

Toshiba L305 Not Booting

Hi all,

I have a Toshiba L305 S5919 Satellite laptop...It froze and after a ctrl alt del shutdown it has failed to boot back up.

I do not have recovery cds so I am unable to recover my system

I tried an L300 recovery cd but that did not work.

Every time I turn on the system it states that there is no bootable device and hence cannot turn itself on...

I need some advice....

where can I get these recovery cds to buy? Opearting sytem software and drivers?

Also would any L305 recovery disks work even though the model# may be different?

Please help....!! Thanks folks

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Toshiba L305 Not Booting

First off, you don't have your recovery disks because you failed to create them.  That model (as well as most laptops from all of the various manuracturers) come with a recovery partition with a program that enables the owner to crreate seperate recovery disks.  All of this is covered in the User's Guide that is on the system in Adobe Acrobat Format.  Since you didn't create them you'll now need to purchase a set from Toshiba as per this post

You should check out this support document for details on using the Recovery Process.

But that message leads me to believe that the hard drive has failed.  Power up the system and immediately go into the Bios Setup by hitting the F2 key.  Look at the main page to see if it detects a hard drive or not.

If it does see a drive you ahve a chance by using either the Recovery Process mentioned earlier or by using the Recovery Disks once you get them.  But before you do that you need to determine what brand of hard drive it is, go to that manufacturer's support site, download their Self Booting Diagnostic CD ISO Image, create the disk according to dirctions, then boot to it and run the most exhastive test to determine if the drive is failing or not.  If you don't know the correct proceedure for burning an ISO image then see this page.

If it doesn't see a hard drive you'll need to replace it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

NigelR

Would an L305 S5961 recovery cds work on an L305 S5919 machine?

Would an L305 S5961 recovery cds work on an L305 S5919 machine?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Would an L305 S5961 recovery cds work on an L305 S5919 machine?

See my answer in your other post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.