debster11
Accepted Solution

T115-S1100 netbook Recovery Options

Hi - looking for recovery options for my T115-S1100 netbook.

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

I'm suspicious it's either a virus (or maybe the fabeled Windows Black Screen of Death??) that is a cause of my problems, but can't be sure...

At any rate, when I power up the netbook, Toshiba splash screen displays.  I can select F2 to get into Setup Utility.  Boot choices are:

HDD/SSD: TOSHIBA MK2555GSX

FDD:

LAN: ATHEROS BOOT AGENT

I cannot use F8 to get to Windows safe mode.

When I power off the computer, it stays off for several moments, powers itself back on, then the cursor hangs, flashing in the upper left hand corner of a black screen.

I've read assorted posts about various function keys that might allow me to get into some sort of recovery mode. Ideally, I'd like to first try any mode that permits me to retain my files. I realize, however, they might be lost with some types of restores.

I have no external DVD.  Is there recovery software that will allow me to boot from a USB flashdrive and if so, is it downloadable from Toshiba and/or Windows? 

Are there any function keys for recovery that are appropriate for MY model of netbook that I should try before this?

Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: T115-S1100 netbook Recovery Options

[ Edited ]

Satellite T115-S1100 

Is there recovery software that will allow me to boot from a USB flashdrive

Get your important files this way.

1. Prepare a thumb drive formatted in FAT32. It doesn't need to be large. This stuff only occupies 130 MB on mine. 

2. Download UNetbootin to create the thumb drive. 

3. Download a Puppy Linux .iso file for the operating system. 

4. Run Unetbootin-windows-xxx.exe and point it to the Lupu-xxx.iso file to create a bootable drive. 

5. When you power on your computer, hold down the F12 key. That should give you the opportunity to choose the boot drive. 

6. For some tips, scroll down to the following sections at this web page. 

Mounting drives and partitions in Puppy Linux 

Copying your files to external hard disk or USB flash drive

To restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents, see the section Recovering the Internal Storage Drive, which begins on p. 58 of the User's Guide.

Satellite T110/T130 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
debster11

Thanks, Jerry. These instructions look excellent. I'll have to wait until the weekend to try them out but will post my success or questions once I've had a chance to try them. Again, many thanks!

MaryP

Safe Mode other than F8

My computer was shutdown when it was downloading windows update.  When it was restarted it goes to a black screen with curser.  I have tries to reboot in the safe mode using the F8 key but it doesn't work.  How can I get to the Safe Mode so I can reset the computer back to before the update?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good luck, Debster.

-Jerry
debster11

I was successful getting my data off the Toshiba netbook using the UNetbootin and Puppy Linux instructions. That's the (very) good news!  

However, I followed the User manual instructions to restore the machine to it's out-of-box state (hold the 0 key down as you power up) and it hangs:  "***** HDD RECOVERY MODE ********

Cursor blinks on a black screen, upper left hand side.  Several tries, same results.

Should I assume it's time to by an external CD drive and order the recovery media?

Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good news on the successful rescue! Those instructions haven't been updated for a while. Do you have any feedback?

Yes, order the recovery media. But maybe you can get it on a flash drive. Please let us know that too.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

-Jerry
debster11

Hi Jerry,

With regards to feedback on the instructions, the help.artaru.edu tips page on recovering files using Puppy Linux was maybe a smidge different (I'm guessing because of slightly different versions/releases of Puppy Linux) than what I saw on my screen but still easy enough to follow.

Toshiba Support tells me my model of netbook doesn't have recovery media on USB stick so I've no choice but to order the CDs.   

Thanks again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Toshiba Support tells me my model of netbook doesn't have recovery media on USB stick so I've no choice but to order the CDs.

Thanks for clearing that up.

-Jerry
20TREK00

Hi guys!, I think that a virus attack me and mi notebook doesn´t recognize the audio device, say´s that isn´t audio device is installed!...what can I do?...was working perfect couple days ago, and now  I can´t hear nothing or listen music.