gabs83

System restore to factory settings without discs

I have a Satellite L40 - 187 and need to do a system recovery but Ive lost the discs that came with my laptop, can i do this and if so how?

Ive no idea where to even start looking! 

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: System restore to factory settings without discs

[ Edited ]

Satellite Pro L40-187 Specifications

Satellite Pro L40-187 Downloads

Yours appears to be a European model, so I am not sure if you can still get the disks for this or not. But, I do not think there is a recovery partition on your model, so I do not believe you can do it without the disks.

Ordering Recovery Media

Good luck.

Mike

spencerwromano

Hello,

I would like to restore my Toshiba laptop M305 S4910 back to factory settings without using CD's (using recovery partition). What button do I need to hold down while rebooting or how do I go about doing this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Spencer

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite M305-S4910

You need to first back up all your data, user files, music, etc. Then,  make a set of Toshiba Recovery disks in case of emergencies as is described on page 61 of your user guide, you'll need at least 3 DVDs. Finally you can run the Recovery Utility by pressing and holding down the '0' (zero) key until you see the Toshiba Recovery menu, as described on page 62 of your user guide, to return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box state. Attached is a copy of your user guide.

Mike

SoVA

I've got used Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4830 brought from U.S. without Vista distr.
Can anybody post an image of original disc at some file sharing? Serial No. needed also - the license sticker has gone

Regular Advisor
MadRN

[ Edited ]

The Windows COA sticker and the computer serial number are two different things.    Order Recovery disks here, using the serial number, which is on the same sticker that shows the model number:

https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/serviceUnitVerification.jsp?orderType=SFF

"Original disk" of Vista or Win7 won't help you much if you don't have a valid code to activate.  You can't download Vista isos anymore b/c Microsoft has stopped selling it.  But, you can get Windows 7 isos free, though you still need to buy a valid key to activate them.

M505D-S4830 sold w/ Vista but had a free upgrade to Win7.    The Toshiba Downloads for that model have an instruction set for manually upgrading to Win7.   So, If  you don't care about having an exact restore w/ the recovery partition, or Office  or other software that it shipped with:

• download the Win7 iso w/ Service Pack 1 from Digital River (Google for links)
  • burn it to disk
  • then go to the Downloads section for your model & d/l all the Toshiba stuff (except Intel storage driver if you still have a HD that uses 512K sectors.   Not an "advanced format" drive.  You need the Intel driver for advanced format.  It translates the larger sector size of the drive to smaller ones for the older PCs, or something like that.  It slows the system down, too.)
  • go to Toshiba support, downloads;  print the Windows 7 Upgrade instructions to use as a guide to install theToshiba stuff
  • install your "generic" Windows 7 on the Toshiba
    install your Toshiba model's stuff
  • use to COA number on sticker on the bottom to activate  --  or -- buy an OEM Windows 7 license, with or without installation disks, and activate with that     (You can run the d/l Windows 7 unactivated for 30 days but it will nag you all the time that it needs to be activated and isn't a genuine Windows.  And I think that it also takes some mysterious pauses every now and then, just to irritate those who are using it free.)   
  • burn a disk image / backup of it as soon as you have it tweaked and updated and running just right

That should work.   I think I listed all the steps.