OllieB
Accepted Solution

System Restore/Completely wipe compute back to factory

Hello I have a Toshiba Satellite l455-S5975 and I wanted to completely wipe the HD. I don't have a recovery disc because it didn't come with one. It's running Windows 7 Home Premium. If I wipe it will it still run Windows 7? If you can help me, please give me a walk through. Thank you!

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: System Restore/Completely wipe compute back to factory

They didn't include recovery disks with that system, and haven't done so for several years on most models.  You have to create a set of recovery disks from the hidden recovery partition by using the Recovery Disk Creator.  Go to "Start - All Programs - Toshiba - Recovery - Recovery Disk Creator".  Information on using the Hard Drive Based Recovery Process and creating the disks normally begins on or about page 58 to 60 of your User's Guide.  The User's Guide is found on your hard drive in Adobe Acrobat Format and can be downloaded from the Product Support Link at the top of this page.

If you didn't make them and can not do so now you'll need to purchase a replacement set as per this post.
http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/Recovery-media/td-p/9148

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

OllieB

Thank you! I looked at the user guide and it offered a way to recover backto out-of-box state without the disc. Is that safe?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Yes, but I would still make the disks.  If the hard drive ever fails or the recovery partition becomes corrupted you'll need them. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

OllieB

Thank you very much! I'll make them right now.

JAVIERCITO

HELLO!

My name is Javier. I do own a satellite toshiba laptop L455-S5975. I want to recovery the computer's system to the original factory. I did make the recovery dvds, but when I inserted the dvds the system says something about "system image backup no found." I thought that the dvds were damaged or something like that, so I made another set of dvds. The result is the same.  what is wrong? how can I restore my compute to the original factory?

thanks

Occasional Contributor
wkitty42

JAVIERCITO wrote:

HELLO!

My name is Javier. I do own a satellite toshiba laptop L455-S5975. I want to recovery the computer's system to the original factory. I did make the recovery dvds, but when I inserted the dvds the system says something about "system image backup no found." I thought that the dvds were damaged or something like that, so I made another set of dvds. The result is the same.  what is wrong? how can I restore my compute to the original factory?

thanks

javier,
you need to be specific in your details of the procedure you followed when booting the machine to your recovery dvds... we are not there to look over your shoulder and all our crystal balls are in the shop for repair... starting with the machine turned off, what did you do which brought you to that error?
=================================================================================================================
I'm a user, just like you but i'm here on a volunteer basis without compensation from toshiba or anyone else... my crystal ball is in the repair shop and i cannot look over your shoulder to see what you are doing. the more specific you are, the better the answers can be :smileywink:
ginger01

I have read a few of the questions on this forum and am wondering if you have to be a smart ass to answer

questions or does it just seem that way

Cheers

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

If you saw some of the ridiculous questions posted you would understand why it seems that way.  It's unbelievable how little information a lot of people will include when asking for assistance and how upset they get when they don't get an answer that solves their problem.  When you read and respond to the amount of posts that some of us do you would understand why some of the replies seem to be flippant.   

nealfjr

Ginger. Really girl?  Lighten up.   This is a "community forum" and most of the experts on here that help people like me and Javier are volunteers and are offering their suggestions and assistance as such. 

Many people with questions and problem expect these volunteers to take over their computers and do all the troubleshooting for them, which would do nothing but open them up to a hell of alot of lawsuits and harrassment.  If you get a solution try it and then follow up.  Don't expect a one size fits all answer. 

I am very appreciative for any and all help I receive.  I have been saved by these experts many times. 

nealfjr

[ Edited ]

Hello.  I have been having many problems with my computer, especiallywith  internet explorer (issued by yahoo),  computer freezing and explorer shutting down and restarting.  There have been other issues as well, too many to list here. 

I have consulted with The Microsoft Community,  Yahoo Community and have not been able to resolve the issues, even though they all worked tirelessly to help me..  It seems that I made many mistakes that created all of these errors like running wiping the registry every time I ran a computer scan, downloading "unauthorized and bad programs", and other items. 

Would a total system restore back to factory setings eliminate these issues?  If I do a system restore, will I still retain all the programs that were originally installed?  When doing a system restore, is it like restarting with the computer as originally received. 

Of special importance and not is that I did not make nor do I have any recovery discs.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

Sincerely,

William Neal

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

No way to know for sure if that would fix the problems, but it would be a good place to start. Note that this will only work if you have the Recovery Disks that you were supposed to make when you first got the system (and it appears that you don't) or you have the original Recovery Partition intact on the hard drive and can access it. If you can access it, then backup any personal files as the process will delete everything on the hard drive, usually to an unrecoverable state.

If you don't have the disks and the recovery partition is not accessable or working you will need to order a set of Recovery Disks from Toshiba. Not sure what they are charging these days, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Select the Restore or Recover to Factory Default State (wording may differe slightly, but you should be able to figure it out when you get to it) as that will do what it says. It will leave the system exactly as it was when it left the factory. Now install a GOOD Anti-Virus solution (I recommend Avast Home Free of you don't want to pay for it or Kasperski if you do) and update it.

Next do a complete Windows Update to make sure everything is up to date.

After this is completed start installing any other applications that you need, but be mindfull of how you do it. Any programs that you download from the internet must be installed with care using the CUSTOM or ADVANCED option to disable (not install) any of the toolbars or unwanted extras that they try to force on the unsuspecting. Not doing this causes more problems than you can imagine.

Next, do NOT install ANY Browser Toolbars period. None of them are worth a darn and 99% of them are nothing but spyware, slow your system down, and/or cause instability.

Stay away from any software that claims to fix your registry or make your system run faster. NONE OF THEM work. NONE. Anyone who tells you different is wrong or lieing to you.

CCleaner is okay to install, but stay away from the Registry Cleaner as it can cause more problems than it fixes unless you know what you are doing. Essentially, if you know enough to be able to use it you would do it manually and if you don't know enough to be able to do it manually you won't know enough to be able to tell if if is going to make a change that it shouldn't. Everything else in Ccleaner is okay to use as it shouldn't do anything that would cause a problem the way it is configured by default.

The other option is to install a Linux Operating System that won't be nearly as susceptible to Malware or Registry problems. One of the 'Buntu's is normally a good option for anyone that isn't familiar with Linux. I would suggest one of the LTS (Long Term Support) versions as they tend to be more stable and are supported longer. Right now 12.04.4 would be my choice as the new 14.04 LTS has only been out a week and not all of the bugs have been found or fixed yet. PCLinuxOS is another good option for a new Linux user.