Mate

Satellite p750 Not Booting.

Hi Guys, I have just registered because my computer a toshiba p750 wont load up. It comes up with windows loading files then goes "start up repair is checking you system for problems after that a start up repair window pops saying start up cannot repair this computer automatically, send information about this problem(recommended) and dont send.. It does a have a bit that says veiw problem details. which reads

Problem Event name : Startup repair offline

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03: Unknown

Problem Signature 04: 9

Problem Signature 05: Auto Failover

Problem Signature 06: 1

Problem Signature 07: NoOsInstalled

Os Version:

I tried system restore point and went back a few months and it doesn't work, so i can get to the System Recovery Options.

Is there anyway i can restore back to how it was but keep my programs and files, photo's etc

Another thing is which might make it difficult Is I let a mate have a look to fix (which was a silly idea as he knows about as much as me, which is bugger all)the above problem and he installed some Ubuntu 11.10 which because I know sweet F all I' am  guessing it's some operating system different to windows. Anyway I can start my computer with Ubuntu I did get online with it, but that's about it. I can't see any photos and only some files, but they seem to be in a different format or code and **bleep**. So the bottom line is my ol mates I am after abit of help to get my baby back up running with windows or at least so I can access my files.  Any help would be much appreciated.

I wrote down a error code i did see some where on start up saying windows/system32/winload.exe  Status 0x000000f

Mate

Re: Satellite p750 Not Booting.

Anyone? Where does that Jerry bloke hideout?
Super Advisor
miker643

That Jerry bloke often doesn't bother to answer people who don't post their full model/part number, and Windows version.

Whenever you post a problem here you should always post your full model number and part number, like Satellite P750-BT4G22, PSAY3U-08703H, look at the Toshiba label on the bottom of your notebook. Also, you should always post what version of Windows you are using, like Windows 7 64bit edition.

With that info, we may be able to get your system to restart. But, you may lose all your user files. Do you have a backups?

Mike

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

That Jerry bloke often doesn't bother to answer people who don't post their full model/part number, and Windows version.

<chuckle>

Welcome back, Mike!

-Jerry
Mate

G"day Mike and Jerry, sorry for the lack of info. This is what she says on the bottom. Satellite p750 part no: is PSAY3A-02J001
Window 7 (I'm not sure if it's 32 or 64bit).
Super Advisor
miker643

Mate wrote: so i can get to the System Recovery Options.......Is there anyway i can restore back to how it was but keep my programs and files, photo's etc....Another thing is which might make it difficult Is I let a mate have a look to fix (which was a silly idea as he knows about as much as me, which is bugger all)the above problem and he installed some Ubuntu 11.10 which because I know sweet F all I' am  guessing it's some operating system different to windows. Anyway I can start my computer with Ubuntu I did get online with it, but that's about it.....

Satellite P750 PSAY3A-02J001

Mate

Do you have a backup of your user files, photos, etc, from your hard drive?  Can you still get to the System Recovery Options menu?  Did you ever create a set Toshiba Recovery Media, as described on pages 1-14 to 1-15 (adobe reader pgs 35-36) of your P750 User Manual?

Let us know.

Mike

Super Advisor
miker643

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

<chuckle>

Welcome back, Mike!

Thanks Jerry! Good to be back, just had been quite busy with work the last couple of months.

Mate

Hi Mike, Thanks very for your reply. Unfortunately I didn't get around to backing up any user files, or photos of our new born as I"d just put these photos on and about 2 days before the above problem happened. Yes I can get to system recovery options menu. No I dont remember creating any recovery media. If worse comes to worse is there anyway I can access user files when using Linux?. Thanks for your time Mike, it's very much appreciated.
Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Mate wrote:....Another thing is which might make it difficult Is I let a mate have a look to fix (which was a silly idea as he knows about as much as me, which is bugger all)the above problem and he installed some Ubuntu 11.10 which because I know sweet F all I' am  guessing it's some operating system different to windows. Anyway I can start my computer with Ubuntu I did get online with it, but that's about it. I can't see any photos and only some files, but they seem to be in a different format or code and **bleep**. ...

Mate, I'm not sure what your buddy did or didn't do to your system. But, he should NOT have installed Ubuntu to your hard drive. He should have created an Ubuntu boot disk, or bootable USB thumbdrive, then you should have been able to copy your photos, etc, to some external media.

Where is Ubuntu installed on your computer? How are you booting up into Ubuntu?

Mike

Mate

Hi Mike, yeah I'm pretty pissed off with my friend and more so myself for letting him put Ubuntu on the hard drive or even letting him have a try fix it in the first place. I have asked him what he did and he said he installed Ubuntu onto my computer and left it at. he said some partion bit is 50%-50% whatever the **bleep** that means.
Ok when I turn it on it says this
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-12 generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-12-generic(recovery mode)
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+,serial console
Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1
Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2
Windows recovery environment ( loader) on /dev/sda3

I click on the first one and it opens up to Ubuntu and has a few desktop icons that came with Ubuntu by look of it. It has a home folder with some of my stuff in it but I'm not sure how to open them. Thanks mike for your time
Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Given he installed Ubuntu on the hard drive, I'm thinking we could try a few more things, go through a lot of grief, and still not be able to get your photos & files back mate. Unless it's vitally important, I'd be writing this off to a hard lesson learned.

You could try to run the Toshiba Recovery Utility, to restore your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box setup. To try this, power off your unit, then press and hold down the '0' (zero) key as you power the unit back on, keep holding the '0' key until you see the Toshiba Recovery utility menu (see page 1-15 of your User Manual). But, buddy probably wiped out or corrupted the recovery partition when he installed Ubuntu.

So, you could order the recovery media from Toshiba Australia, ain't cheap mate! See the bottom of the FAQ thread link.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Mike

Mate

Thanks Mike, I have a invoice2go program that has stuff on it for my tax, which I would really love to try keep and some photos. I can see the program in the home folder on Ubuntu and I can read a few pages but it seems to be in a different format or something. There is also folders saying windows etc. Do you think it's possible that I can somehow retrieve anything at all. What would if I deleted Ubuntu? Thanks again Mike for you info. I'll look into maybe getting them disks or from the recovery options.
Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Hi, mate.

Just a wild guess here, I have Ubuntu in use here and it will honour Windows files/folders and will show them to you in a compatible format. Now let us hope that this is a backward capable mode. If you save them to any medium while still in U'u, you could then, maybe, Recover your Toshiba and Windows and it woud in turn honour your saved files.

Yes, I have done this here from a Win to U'u to Win machines. These machines are smart !

I do not let anybody fool around my keyboard !   JP.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Mate wrote: Thanks Mike, I have a invoice2go program that has stuff on it for my tax, which I would really love to try keep and some photos. I can see the program in the home folder on Ubuntu and I can read a few pages but it seems to be in a different format or something. ...

When you  boot up in Ubuntu, none of your invoice2go program user files are probably going to look right, even though there may be nothing wrong with them, if you try to open them in Ubuntu. You need to be looking at those files using invoice2go, with invoice2go running on a Windows machine.

If I use Microsoft Word to open a *.hwp file, which is a Haansoft Hangul Word Processor File, I wouldn't see many real Korean or English characters, I'd just see a bunch of computer gobble-deegoop. So, just because you open some invoice2go user file in Ubuntu, and it doesn't look right, does not necessarily mean there's anything wrong with ithat user file.

If you know the folder that your user/tax/finance files are in, copy all those folders/files to disk or usb stick, using Ubuntu. It will probably be in some sub folder of invoice2go called 'working'. See this link. But mate, if you had critical business/tax/finance invoice2go files on the hard drive, you should have been doing backups. See this link.

If you have invoice2go installed anywhere else on a working Windows computer, use that version of invoice2go, and see if can properly access the copies of the files you saved to disk.

Also a search for *.jpg files. That is, any files that have the file extension  jpg. This is probably the file type of your photos. Again, copy any files you can to disk, and so on with any other files you want to save.

Let us know what happens with that. Do NOT copy anything else to laptops hard drive yet. Good luck.

Mike

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Just thought I'd mention that boots into Ubuntu are used routinely to transfer files from dead Windows installations.

Using Ubuntu Linux to Rescue Windows

Once you get the hang of it, you should have no trouble.

You cannot rescue a (non-trivial) application of course.

-Jerry
Mate

Hi Guys. I found my user files on Ubuntu. I have found all my photos and put them on a external hard drive I also put the invoice program on the external hard drive I'm not sure if it works yet. I just want to thank everyone for your help especially mike. I'll keep you people posted. I might try the system recovery now.
Super Advisor
miker643

Good work mate! Thanks for letting us know. Keep us posted on the complete recovery process.

Mike