Occasional Contributor
Mwillit

Satellite a665-s5170 wont start windows

I have a Toshiba Satellite a554-s5170 and when I turn the computer on, it goes to the "starting windows" and that's when it gets stuck. There is no loading bar, nothing. If I leave it there for ~1 hour it will restart and go to the "Windows Repair" part and scans. When it is done it will then say "Startup Repair could not detect a problem"

My hard drive already failed once before, Back when I first bought this laptop it failed 3 weeks later and the place I got it from replaced it for me. That was a little over a year ago and the warranty expired back in May. If I click "view diagnostic and repair details" on the startup repair screen, earlier it was saying something like "A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting" but now its saying it could not find a problem.

I have tried starting it in Safe mode but stops loading the files after the second one. I have no idea what I should try or do at this point. I could try buying a new harddrive but at the moment im really tight on money since I lost my job recently. So I will get one if its the only choice. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite a665-s5170 wont start windows

Satellite A665-S5170

Can you reach the Windows Recovery Environment?

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

If so, try System Restore first. Then if necessary Startup Repair several times. Then come back here.

If not, come back here.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Mwillit

I have been able to reach that screen. What would you prefer I do there? I was able to open command prompt there and do a "chkdsk C:" but found nothing out of the ordinary right away but a line saying "the type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is TI105957WOF."
But right now I'm letting it verify file data
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

As I said before, the first thing to try is a System Restore to before the problem occurred.

If that doesn't work out, try Startup Repair. Sometimes it takes several times to work.

At the command prompt, run this form of chkdsk.

chkdsk c: /r

Then try Startup Repair again.

Report back what happens for each.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Mwillit

I have been to that screen before, when I tried the Startup Repair, it will scan and come up with something like "windows cannot fix the problem automatically" it's given me that almost every time now. When I tried the System Restore, it was able to restore it to a previous date but windows still wasn't able to load. It would stay at the Starting Windows and stay there.

But I was able to open command prompt and do a "chkdsk C:" but found nothing out of the ordinary right away but a line saying "the type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is TI105957WOF." Right now my computer is verifying file data, and has already 'replaced bad clusters' quite a lot of them now. It's about 18% and I don't know if it's a bad idea if I stop it now or not because it has not made any progress for about 2 hours now
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I was able to open command prompt and do a "chkdsk C:"   ...   Right now my computer is verifying file data, and has already 'replaced bad clusters' quite a lot of them now. It's about 18% and I don't know if it's a bad idea if I stop it now or not because it has not made any progress for about 2 hours now

No, don't stop it. If necessary, let it go over night.

What switch did you run chkdsk with? This is the right one.

chkdsk c: /r

Chkdsk Syntax

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Mwillit

Okay, I put the right chkdsk in, and it is very slowly making progress. Would chkdsk c: /r and chkdsk /r c: make any difference?
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Would chkdsk c: /r and chkdsk /r c: make any difference?

I don't think so. Never tried it.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Mwillit

Okay, I'll update you with the results when the computer finishes the scan
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

After chkdsk, try booting normally and then try Startup Repair again.

If neither work, put this in at the command prompt and let us know what happens.

bootrec /RebuildBcd

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Mwillit

Here's an update so far. It's still verifying the free space. It is at 14,139,071 out of 147,454772. How long would you think it'll take? It's been doing this all day
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Let it go all night.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Mwillit

I let it go all night, but sometime throughout the night I'm not sure if it finished or not because I found it dead. I turned it on and windows started! Im at the login window right now
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Im at the login window right now

Can you log into Windows? What's the situation?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Mwillit

I just tried to log in and it came up with a popup saying "windows detected a hard disk problem. Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk."
But behind that is the usual windows background
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I would trust the message! Back up everything you need if you can and plan on a new hard disk.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Mwillit

Crap. Okay, well thank you very much for the help
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good luck!

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Mwillit

Update, I got the new hard drive in today. I put it in, and it went to the restoring screen and got stuck at "copying files" for well over 4 hours. I thought it was stuck so I restarted it, bad idea. Now it's saying
"BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
I tried the 0 on start up, f8, and taking the hard drive out and putting it back in. It keeps saying the same thing. What should I do?
Occasional Contributor
Mwillit

And I just put the old hard drive in, it worked fine. I put the new one in and same thing popped up