wscott52

Satellite P775-S7320 Recovery Disks

I recently had to reinstall Windows 7 due to damage caused by a virus. The recovery went well enough but brought up a question. The Make Recovery Media application created 5 DVDs. The first one was the Windows Recovery Environment. The next four appear to be the actual backup dvds. The last one was not used at all. Does anyone know what the purpose of this 5th DVD is? I could just stick it in the drive and boot to it (it appears bootable) but after spending all day yesterday restoring this thing I'd hate to cause problems with what I've already done. Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite P775-S7320 Recovery Disks

Satellite P775-S7320

The last DVD should contain drivers and utilities. Look it over from Windows.

Best to get those from the website, since many are updated from time to time.

-Jerry
wscott52

Thanks for the reply. That occurred to me to but that's not what's on it. This is:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/wscott52/LastDVD.jpg

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Mystery to me. I don't have a Toshiba here. With a little luck, either Peter or Rick will stop by to explain it.

In the meantime, I can tell you what those names look like to me based on what most OEMs have. The WinREPartition would probably be the 1.46 GB partition marked Active on your drive. Microsoft calls it the System partition.

It contains the Bootmgr file and the Boot folder (which contains the BCD file). I have no idea what the Source folder is (what's in it?).

When you boot Windows, the boot sector of the active partition branches to Bootmgr, which consults the BCD and then turns control over to Winload.exe to start Windows.

That partition also contains the WinRE.

-Jerry