Occasional Contributor
Dosser

Satellite L775D (Windows 7) Will not boot

The message "Windows has encountered a problem with a device connected to your computer"

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite L775D (Windows 7) Will not boot

Use your repair disc to boot to WinRE. Be sure to disconnect all the peripherals.

Startup Repair

Which Satellite L775D? There is a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Dosser

I bought this for my grandson for Christmas. We have no repair or restore disk. I read all the material that came with the machine from Staples Business Depot and there was no advice to create such disks. Toshiba had told my grandson to download something onto another computer (he does not have one) - but we now cannot get any response from Toshiba (Canada). The customer service/tech support people will not answer or return calls - if you do get through they hang up. We have already complained to Toshiba about the service and rudeness and they agreed, said they would have someone contact us - that was 3 days ago. The thing is under warranty and has already gone back for a failed hard drive. My grandson will lose all his programs and data AGAIN but it looks like this machine is heading back to the store and we shall be going with DELL with whom I have never had a problem - ever. The L775D IS from the label on the bottom.

I also bought a Toshiba laptop for my nephew to go to University 3 years ago - that had a hard drive failure after 2 months as well. I guess that Toshiba is not a very reliable product. Reading all the posts in this forum does not reflect well.

Thanks for replying but I am not forking out more money to buy recovery disks for this machine - it's going back.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The L775D IS from the label on the bottom.

There should be a part number which looks like PSK40C-01R004 or PSK40C-06P004.

Do you have 32- or 64- bit Windows 7?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Dosser

64 bit Windows 7

Laptop is at office - did not have time to persecute Toshiba "service" today. Will get those numbers tomorrow. Thanks for your interest. I read the forum and other help sites extensively - tried re-boot with 0/F6/F8/F10/F12/DELETE/ESC and nothing worked.

9:31 pm now - will post tomorrow.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Download a repair disc by scrolling down to the link Windows 7 System Repair Disc 64-bit here.

Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

Then try a Startup Repair and a System Restore from the Windows Recovery Environment.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Dosser

[ Edited ]

Other details:

Part # PSK40C - 01R004

Serial# - XXXXXXXXX

Windows productkey - XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

To apply the fix you kindly reference, I must know whether it is 64 bit or 32 bit Windows. Hopefully the product key can help as none of the material or stickers we have tell us which it is and the invoices from Staples do not tell us either.

[Moderator edit to remove serial and Windows key.]

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L775D-01R (PSK40C-01R004)

To apply the fix you kindly reference, I must know whether it is 64 bit or 32 bit Windows.

You told me in this message that it is 64-bit Windows..

64 bit Windows 7

In any case, try that disc first.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Dosser

You are right I did say 64 Bit but am not sure now - MY laptop is 64 but this is the grandson's. Staples does not know. A after explaining the no boot issue to Microsoft and giving them the product key their reply was to boot the computer and press START! Do not know what part of "will not boot" they did not understand.

Downloaded the Repair Kit from site you referred to - here is what I got

Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

That computer should have 64-bit Windows loaded. It's configured with 4 GB of memory and can handle 8.

Downloaded the Repair Kit from site you referred to - here is what I got

Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

Don't follow you here. Here's the procedure.

1. Download the 64-bit Repair Disc ISO file and burn it to CD.

2. Start the computer with that disc loaded while pressing the F12 key.

3. Select the optical drive for boot.

And what happens?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Dosser

Having Googled what an ISO file is I now realise that I have to burn the contents to a CD or DVD and that, somehow, (miraculously?) will release a bootable file. Now have to travel to the city to buy a CD or DVD.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Having Googled what an ISO file..

Sorry about that. It's very hard for us to guess the computer knowledge of the people we help.

Burn a CD or DVD from an ISO file

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Dosser

I appreciate your patience and persistence.

I have now got my CD and burnt it and it has booted a bit - it has been stuck at System Recovery Options for 4 hours - the wheel keeps on spinning but we are getting nowhere.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

1. Turn on the computer with the CD already loaded.

2. Hold down the F12 key and a boot priority list should appear.

3. Select the optical drive (might say something about CD or DVD).

You're looking for a screen like this one.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Dosser

I never got to a screen like that.

I have read elsewhere that when you download your system repair disk and burn it it has to be done on a windows 7 computer - I downloaded onto USB in Win7 but burnt the CD on an old XP as my windows 7 PC CD burner did not work. If that is enough to screw it up then I will have to start again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..burnt the CD on an old XP as my windows 7 PC CD burner did not work.

That explains a lot! Windows XP cannot burn an ISO image. So you just copied it.

You must use a third-party utility. We use BurnCDCC from TeraByte.

TeraByte Unlimited Freeware

Download the file Burncdcc.zip. Decompress that and run the executable Burncdcc.exe.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Dosser

I did burn it - I downloaded free ISO burner from a site I found through Google. I will try again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Okay, try the whole process again.

Explain in more detail what you're looking next time. We cannot see your screen.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Dosser

the site for ISO burner is www.freeisoburner.com

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Yes, any burner like that should work.

-Jerry