Fidknop
Accepted Solution

Satellite L775 Recovery With No Back Up Disks Created...

[ Edited ]

Just bought this LT and managed to get a nasty virus in the 3rd day of using (Thanks McAfee).

Since it's so new and I haven't gotten half of the configing done - just want to restore to factory. Been knocking myself out trying to figure out how to recover my system from the partition...

Help Anyone?

Fidknop

Re: Satellite L775 With No Recovery Disks Created

Ok... Well It seems I've Found it... I'm posting for anyone else who may have had difficulty finding this info:

Many Toshiba laptops come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special (hidden) area on the hard disk.  From this special hidden image, you can restore your computer to its factory-fresh software condition by following these steps:

To restore the original factory software image on your computer follow these steps:

1. Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
  2. Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
  3. Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
  4. Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer.  Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
  5. If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
  6. A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
  7. Click Yes to continue.
  8. When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
  9. Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary.

Please note that the process may vary slightly from machine to machine, that you may be asked to insert disks (multi-disk packages) and that the process may take one to two hours to complete.  The recovery process will require you to restart your computer several times.

As you use the recovery process you will have several options. One of these may be to create a custom size partition. Follow the directions on screen for this and other options as prompted.  When in doubt, it's usually best to accept the default, or pre-selected option.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Or simply read the section Recovering to out-of-box state (recommended recovery method), which begins on p. 64 of the User's Guide.

Satellite/Satellite Pro L700 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
usbharg

I Have a SATELLITE L775-111. I want to Recover my HDD with custom size partition. I tried "0" key at boot-up & Also "F8" at boot-up. In both method I only get 'Recovery To Factory State'
How do I initiate the recovery with custom size partition ? The manual Installed on the L775-111 does not indicate how to recover with custom size partition!!! Subsequently  the On-line "How To Document HTD1303440001R01" explains a wrong process (Using 'F8' at boot-up) which does not take me to recover with "custom size partition" !!! 

Please email me the correct procedure to recover with custom size partition at email address: rishi7@live.co.uk
boedica

Re: Satellite L775 Recovery With No Back Up Disks Created...

Many thanks! My L75D was going downhill fast, freezing before I could install any type of helpful program. Of course, the lack of any type of written material and lack of access to a computer that didn't freeze made it impossible to search for a solution. I was able to find your solution while at work, printed it off and restored back to a safe spot. 

Now to make this thing a bit more secure, and create a disk of some sort for any later emergencies.

patshrum1

[ Edited ]

Hello guys I have reinstalled Win7 (with a new install disc) and most all the drivers successfully except for the video/vga. I have tried 2 of the Nvidia and 2 of the Intel driver files with no success. I have no way to tell what video card is in there. There is about 2 dozen more video files. How do I find out which one is in my laptop?  Satellite L775 S7245   Ser# 7B****18R

I would truly appreciate any help with this       pat@patshrum.com

Regular Advisor
bmurray

your manual is here

did you install w7 using a retail version or did you use Toshiba recovery disks?

It appears that your computer uses the Intel Display Driver.  Go to the Toshiba support site and enter your model number, got to drivers and updates and click on display.  Download and install display driver.

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
patshrum1

I installed the W7 retail version and I entered my laptop serial number and it gave me about 18 different files to to download. I downloaded two of the intel files and they did not work. Do I have to download all of the other files and try one at a time until the right one works. I could be there for hours. Why does it have to be so hard to do this and how did you come up with the fact that my computer looks like it uses the intel driver. Can that be determined by the serial number?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L775-S7245

Best to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. All the drivers and utilities are properly preinstalled. Windows is preactivated.

If you failed to burn recovery discs, you can obtain them from Toshiba. Scroll down to Get Recovery Media here .

For instructions, see the section Restoring from recovery DVDs/media, which begins on p. 76 of the User's Guide.

Satellite/Satellite Pro L700 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
patshrum1

Jerry I tried more than several times to restore from the recovery partion and it would get so far and it would restart. I am thinking that there is something wrong with the recovery partion. The original problem was it would come up as not reconizing the hard drive either the operating partion or the recovery partion. I put a Hiren's disk in and the recovery partion did not show up so that is why I went with the retail version. When I was installing the retail version I was able to see the recovery partion so I left that partion intact and wiped out the other partions. I realize that the easiest and fastest and best way is with the recovery program. I have found all of the drivers that I need except for the video and that is why I am here. Any help would be appreciated Thank you very much     Patrick Shrum

patshrum1

Well Jerry I decided to go back to the laptop and see if on the off chance that the recovery partition was not as bad as I originally thought. So much to my surprise it started to work as it should and now I have the laptop restored to "out of the box,  factory-fresh software condition" and I am very happy but I cannot explain what happened to begin with. Thank you for all of your salesmanship (recovery discs $29.95)and for having this forum

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy that it worked out for you, Pat.

Thank you for all of your salesmanship (recovery discs $29.95)and for having this forum

We are all users here. Nothing to gain. And I don't even own a Toshiba computer.

-Jerry
Unioncrane-op

Hi every one, let me begin by saying that i tried everything possible and yet no abail, the toshiba hdd is gone, it wont even allow me to options like f2 or f12, it just seats there,so i installed a brand new OCZ SSD 480gb, but what keeps me wondering is WHY when i insert the recovery media purchades from toshiba it get me a error that states: PXE- MEDIA TEST FAILURE,  but if i insert the disk created on the laptop before it failed, it actually boots up to the window where i can choose the options of toshiba recovery wizard or system recovery options, and then after choosing toshiba recovery wizard when i insert the ORIGINAL RECOVERY MEDIA  it spits it back out and ask for 1st recovey media disk, so at this point i honestly dont know what to do other than maybe purchase another hdd and try to see if thats what seems to be the problem along with defective? recovery media disks from toshiba..........FML!

Anyway.... any help will be greatly appreciated

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi! Unioncrane I received your PM. Thank you. It would be better to start a new message of your own. This one has been marked solved and won't receive much attention. Thank you for under standing.

Dokie!!

PS I think you are confusing the system repair disc with the system recovery discs. You should have 4 to 5 recovery DVD's. I'm waiting for you to start your own message before replying further.:smileywink:

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Unioncrane-op

Ok heres the latest update in my ordeal, but at least....... light at the end of the tunnel, i was going to wrap things up for the day and pressed f1 momentarily and there it was, it woke up from the not doing nothing state, but no recovery mode yet, so i power down and pressed f1 and f12 simultaneously and the recovery page loaded up and is going thru the paces of doing a full out of the box recovery, although it did not happend with the OCZ ssd which i wanted but is a step at least.

Perhaps i could later on copy the contents of the unknown yet if it is faulty hdd or not to the SSD.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi ! I have told you several times "This message has been solved" Please start your own message! You are Hi-Jacking a solved thread and will not get any responses.

Dokie!!

PS Good night Vietnam!

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.