bfloyd1984

Satellite L555-S7001: recovery media cd after hdd failure question

does the recovery media have the operating system (windows 7 home premium 64 bit) in it or does it have to be bought separately? my hard drive just completely died and id hate to spend a fortune on a new operating system and hard drive if the recovery media doesnt have W7 64 on it...

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite L555-S7001: recovery media cd after hdd failure question

Satellite L555-S7001 

When you restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media, everything (including Windows itself) is restored. All the bytes on the drive are returned to their initial state.

-Jerry
bfloyd1984

is that cd thou? if so, that saves me a lot of money

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The recovery media typically consists of several DVDs. It's also on the hard drive in a hidden partition.

See the section Recovering the Internal Storage Drive, which begins on p. 60 of the User's Guide.

Satellite L550 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
bfloyd1984

what happened is that the drive entirely died, so i have no access to any of my stored (and hopefully safe) files, including that hidden partition. if the recovery dvds do in fact have the windows 7 OS, that saves me about $100 from having to buy the win 7 home prem OS from online sellers and can get my laptop back to original from using an 80 gb with vista as a backup. would it be recommended to look into SSDHDD's over traditional mechanical? as seeing how i would hate to have another drive die on me as this one has (not even 2 years old).

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

what happened is that the drive entirely died, so i have no access to any of my stored (and hopefully safe) files, including that hidden partition.

What makes you believe the files are safe? If the drive is really dead, your files are too. It can be very expensive to rescue files from a dead drive. We're talking at least hundreds of dollars.

If the problem is simply that you cannot boot Windows, then it's not hard to rescue files.

-Jerry