Malkavian99

Satellite L455D-S5976 no recovery utility

I'm having a problem with a Satellite L455D-S5976 and the recovery utility.  I have tried the press zero while starting and get the "HDD recover mode" flash on the screen.  Then windows 7 starts.  I get the win7 startup animation then blank and the mouse pointer appears.  The hard drive has been blinking up until this point then stops and nothing else happens.  It just sits there. 

I'm out of options. I don't know what to do now.  Anyone else have any thoughts.

Michael

Regular Advisor
Rickez

Re: Satellite L455D-S5976 no recovery utility

Have you tried <F8> instead? Power on the machine then press and hold the <F8> key until you "Repair Your Computer", hit <ENTER>. Hit <ENTER> to get past the two login screens and then you should see a menu. Click on "Command Prompt". At the command prompt type "diskpart". The following is non-destructive, At the diskpart command prompt type:

"sel vol c" + <ENTER>

if you do not receive an error

"sel par 3" + <ENTER>

if you do not receive an error

"det par" + <ENTER>  WARNING: Do NOT type "DEL" it's "DET". Typing "DEL" will delete the HDD recovery partition!

Check what it says for "Type : ?" If this is NOT 17, then type:

"SET ID=17" + <ENTER>

if you do not receive an error type:

"exit" + <ENTER>

"exit" + <ENTER>

Now shutdown the machine and try the "0" key process again.

If this IS 17, then type:

"exit" + <ENTER>

"exit" + <ENTER>

Select "TOSHIBA Recovery Wizard" to launch the recovery process.

Malkavian99

I have tried that and get "Operating System Not Found".  I pulled the hard drive and determined that the drive has been completely wiped, not sure how that was done, but that is where we are at.

I'm now going to check to see if I can get recovery CDs from Toshiba and possibly the Windows Key, it's rubbed off the bottom of the laptop.

Thanks for the information.

michael

A104

turn off first, start the computer up and hold down the zero key and f12 .this should get you what your looking for friend. hope this helps

AO25

I am having the same exact problem (michael) just wondered if your figured out on your repair?

kaylajane0

Thank you for posting this method, I've tried many other ways and almost gave up. This worked great! I highly recommend it for anyone who reads it.

amazingblonde

I have to replace my hard drive. I wondered if this works for installing an operating system and drivers that I had. I am computer "illiterate" so to say. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

irapackrat

What is the "0" process?? My system is having the same problem and trying the solution you have posted. Will this affect my files and documents??

sagiguy33

So what if you get an error when selecting par 3, it says there is no partition selected. Do a do sel par 2 that one worked is it right 

Alik1900

I dont get either options. If i press f8 i only get safe mode and other crap. No repair computer option. The whole holding 0 key takes me to f2 and f12 options loads windows files... goes back to black screen