arach80012

Satellite L455 won't boot up or repair

I have a Satellite L455, that worked fine as of shutting it down on Thursday evening.  When I tried to start it up on Friday, it would start but only go to a black screen and show the pointer.  After an hour of this, I turned it off and back on.  When it came up, it gave me the message that it had shutdown improperly and that it needed to repair the startup files or to start up normally.  I selected the option to Repair the files.  Again, it came up to the black screen and showed only the pointer.  Nothing ever came up.  I turned it off again, booted up on the recovery dvd and it finally loaded that after about 30 mins.  I selected the option to got to a command prompt, and it went to the X drive for the recovery drive.  I could change it to the D drive also.  When I tried to change to the C drive, it thought for awhile and gave me a message that could not access that drive, due to an i/o error.  I have tried to repair the startup files from the recovery disk, but after saying it was working for 24 hours, nothing changed.  Is it possible that the C drive is dead?  Or is there another way that I can check this to make sure?  I have also tried to boot up in Safe Mode, but after holding the F8 key for approximately 2 mins it would not go into Safe Mode, but again came up and tried to repair the start up files.  I know the information is sketchy, but if needed I go through this all again to get the exact err msgs.  Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

arach80012

Re: Satellite L455 won't boot up or repair

I have also tried to do the HDD recovery, holding the "O" key while turning the unit on.  This time I chose the option to start Windows normally.  It went to the Starting Windows screen, and then restarted. It brought back up the option to run Startup Repair, or start normally.  I chose the Startup repair.  It has been doing that for about an hour again.  Will just wait to see what happens again.

brmccarty

Good luck with it, I've been trying to get Windows 7 back up for over a week now. I tried the same as you and even with two different sets of rocovery disk. I end up with a black screen and a white cursor. I can't believe that companies are cheaping out on couple dollars to include recovery media. Now it's crashed and the recovery on the hard drive will not restore it and the disk I had to buy and burn myself don't work. If I want it to work with Windows 7 again it looks like I'm going to have to pay for something that should have been in the box to start with.

I have managed to get my computer working so that I can use it by booting Linux Mint 9 Xfce live USB. If you have a decent size USB stick you can run it live and even save you settings and changes.

lineman410

I have checked the drive it is good but computer will not get pass first stage of booting the hard dirve and i get no video ,will not even go into bios, can u tell me what to try next . thanks, Bill