lynnop

Satellite L305-S5957-- Restore

This laptop belongs to my daughter. She allowed malware access to it and I believe I will have to do a system restore.  Discs did not come with the laptop.  But I cannot find what I am supposed to do to do a factory restore.

when I try to hit "0" at startup, the system brings up the windows boot manager.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite L305-S5957-- Restore

Satellite L305-S5957

See the section Hard Drive Recovery Utilities, which begins on p. 60 of the User's Guide.

Satellite L300 Series User’s Guide 

Discs did not come with the laptop.

In case your model does not have the image file accessible with the zero key on boot, it nevertheless has the ability to burn the recovery discs.

Creating system recovery media using the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator utility

-Jerry
lynnop

Unable to recover.  Was advised by Tech support to replace harddrive.  Which I have now done.  I am not receiving the message: CDBOOT Couldn't find BOOTMGR.

I have a restore disc which I ordered from Tech Suport,  I replaced the harddrive but cannot get any further.  I went in to set up options to double check it was booting from the cd and not the harddrive.  Still same result.  Any other ideas?  Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I have a restore disc which I ordered from Tech Suport,  I replaced the harddrive but cannot get any further. 

You followed the instructions in the section Hard Disk Drive Recovery using the Recovery media on p. 66 of the User's Guide?

Do it again, and give us a step-by-step report. Quote any messages on separate lines. They must be precise; so we can look them up.

Look up that hard-drive model and see if it uses advanced format technology. Sometimes those newer drives make trouble.

-Jerry
lynnop

Tried again.  After pressing F12 message:

CDBOOT: Couldn't find BOOTMGR

I do not believe the laptop has Advanced Format Technology.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Seems like a BIOS or hard-disk problem to me. Try flashing the BIOS.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.10 for Satellite L500D/L505D (PSLV6U) 

I do not believe the laptop has Advanced Format Technology.

It's the new hard disk I'm talking about. What is its complete model number?

-Jerry
lynnop

Toshiba HDD2J95   C SL01 B

MK2576GSX

s/n 51pxb17pb mw6 ec.a

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

That hard disk does not appear to have the advanced-format technology.

-Jerry
momchi

Jerry,

this is NOT a HDD or BIOS issue!!! This only means that the NEW hardisk that the guy replaced the original from TOSHIBA does NOT have the BOOTMGR (boot manager) installed (it is hidden in the first few sectors after the Master boot record normally)... Which is completely understandable -- as the disk is NEW...

He simply needs to get an OEM Windows Vista/7 installation disk from TOSHIBA, to complete a reinstall of his OS... The only thing is that he does need to ask for an OEM installation DVD, to match his licence key...

Be careful before you advise other people to re-flash their BIOS or whatever... Poor guy, I think that he should not have even replaced his original disk as the problem was solvable there....

momchi

Thanks for the advise to press "0" until the computer boots into its RECOVERY partition software... This did help get to it, as after my firs failed recovery, the option to "Recover" was NO LONGER in F8 menu...

Just make sure you shutdown your laptop completely, not restart. Then press "0" (and dont let go), press power ON button, wait until the recovery starts, you may get a few "keyboard-stuck-key" beeps, if you keep it longer, but it is still useful key to use.

Thanks for the info, everyone.