pohocker
Accepted Solution

Satellite L305-S5877...hard drive replacement and recovery guidance needed

Folks, I'm computer-challenged but will do my best to describe what's going on.

The laptop would cut off, reboot, not boot at all, etc., so I took it to a local repair shop. The tech diagnosed the problem as a not yet dead, but a dying hard drive. Their fee to repair it would be $250. Not wanting to sink that kind of money into a 4 yr old machine, I'd like to replace/upgrade the HD myself.

Tthe original HD is 200GB @ 5400 rpms. A very reputable on-line tech place suggested I upgrade to a Seagate Momentus 500GB, 7200 rpm HD.

Do you foresee any problems if I go to that upgraded item?

I'm not worried about moving personal files, photos, etc. from the old HD to the new one...just want to plug it in and go from there.

Also, with the computer came a disk entitled "Recovery and Applications/Drivers, Satellite L300 Series, Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP1." I don't know what all of that means...does this disk have all the software programs on it-Vista, etc-that came on the computer when we bought it? If so, can I expect that, if I install from this disk, that the computer will be, program-wise, like it was when it came out of the box?

Thank you for any guidance you can offer-this stuff gives me fits.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Satellite L305-S5877...hard drive replacement and recovery guidance needed

Satellite L305-S5877

First, if your hard drive is failing you should make sure you keep current back ups of your system, which you should do all the time anyway. Next, make sure what BIOS version you have. Click 'Start' and type in   msinfo32.exe   and click on this file. In the 'System Summary' you first see, look on the right side for 'BIOS Version/Date'. If you do not have the latest v1.50 then download this file and double click to begin installation.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.50 for Satellite (Pro) L305/L355

How to update the BIOS on Toshiba notebooks

There's nothing wrong with the recommended hard drive. But, really any 2.5" SATA HDD that is 9.5mm high will be fine.

Laptop Hard Drives

You might find this link useful in replacing your hard drive. While not exactly the same as your model, hoefully it should help you out:

Taking apart Toshiba Satellite L355/L355D notebook

Once the new drive is installed, insert your recovery disk in the DVD\CD drive, and on power up, at the Toshiba logo press 'F12' to enter boot sequence, use the up and down arrow keys to highlight 'CD\DVD drive' or 'Optical Disk Drive' and hit 'Enter', you'll then see a text line 'Press any key to boot from DVD\CD drive...' with the dots counting down, press any key to boot from the recovery disk, follow the instructions to restore your system to its factory default 'out-of-the-box' state.

Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

pohocker, hello.

I  have an L300D and even if it has been said that your machine is 6 year old, I doubt it. Mine got purchased in November' 09. it is running fine. You do not need to go top HD, I got a 160 G HD on eBay that would fit your Toshiba and it cost me $30.00 + S/H. Any 2.5 " HD and 9.5mm thick will turn the trick for you. There might have been a previous release of that 305, I ignore this.

The DVD that you have will save it for you, follow the given instructions, then DO A CLONE. This is much better than doing a full re-install. JP.

pohocker

Folks, thank you so much for you detailed and thoughtful responses-I really do appreciate it.

Miker, the machine won't boot up at all, so I reckon there's no way to do the BIOS update you mentioned...guess I'll have to wait until I'm back up and running to do that.

I'll let you know how it all turns out...thank you again.

Steve

Super Advisor
miker643

No worries. But, assuming you can still get into the BIOS by pressing 'F2' at the Toshiba logo at power up, you can still check the BIOS version there, without being able to boot into Windows. As well, if at all possible, you should use the bootable disk method to update your BIOS. It is the safest way to do it. However, this depends on your specific BIOS update program.

Best of luck again, and please let us know how it all turns out.

Mike

pohocker

UPDATE

Before installing the new Seagate, I checked my BIOS as suggested...it's version 1.4

I installed the new HD, then used the Recovery Disks to reintroduce the factory software. I thought I had run into a glitch because after a while, I continued getting a message that said "recovery complete" etc., but then it would launch into another round of recovery. I left it alone and let it run its course. It wound up working just fine-3 days out now and no problems with the computer's performance.

Should I still explore updating the BIOS?
Thanks one and all for your guidance with this project-I certainly would have been lost without you.

Steve

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

Hello Steve and congrats.

A recovery is not for weenees but no rocket degree needed either. One has to be patient too as it takes a while to load all the stuff. If you are on W-7 and run the SP1 update, that will take a while too so be patient again as you have demonstrated. ( you should do the SP1 ! )

My philosophy on BIOS update is to not do any if the machine runs fine and all apps are also running fine. YMMV !

You might take this occasion when the machine is still more or less new, to get rid of all bloatware, first to go here is Norton and it gets replaced by MSE,  google for MSE, Microsoft Security Essentials.

Next, get a USB external HD and clone your machine, highly recommended.

You be good.   Jean.

pohocker

....except now, my wife tells me the original problem of the machine cutting itself off has returned  :mansad:

Super Advisor
miker643

Try the BIOS update, follow the directions I posted before. Let us know what happens.

Good luck.

Mike

BamaTom

Since this is so similar to my situation I thought I'd tag to this.  My questions are really basic.....I apologize!

We own a Satellite  L355-S7835 and we need to replace the internal hard drive (been verified by more than one source that this is the problem).

I have removed the former hard drive and now need to purchase a new one.  The old one has this information attached to it:  MK3252GSX.  I think it is a SATA 2.5 320 GB 8mb HD.  It also has this info:  HDD2H0.  It was MS Vista. 

I have looked at a variety of sources for replacing this and I'm trying to make sure I make the right decision.  

Here are my questions:

1. What are the specific "numbers and letters" I need to make sure I consider when I purchase a new one?  (BTW, I have a photo of the label on the old one if that helps).  I've looked at hard drives on various websites with the intent to purchase, but I always see "numbers and letters" that aren't on the label of the hard drive in my computer.  I guess I'm looking for the "easy button!" :-)
  2. I don't have a back-up disk for the OS, so how do I go about getting that?  (no, we didn't make a recovery disk...but will next time)/
  3. The old system was Vista, but I want to upgrade to Windows 7.  I assume that's possible, but I don't know what I need to know to do that.
  4. What else do I probably not know now that everyone else probably knows but I should know to do this?
Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

Good morn, Bama.

One thing to be said first : a HD is a HD is a HD is a HD.

Any SATA HD, 2.5" diameter, 9.5mm thickness will do you fine. The size in Gigs is irrelevant, you can go larger as well as smaller but who would go smaller ? A 5400 RPM HD is better than the 7200 RPM as it will use less power and this is important on a laptop even if the 7200 RPM HD will access the data quicker.

You can reinstall your Vista if you have a DVD. Get the new HD and then come back to us, one helpful user here, no Toshiba personel here, will help you further.  Be good.

BamaTom

Thanks so much--that makes it much easier than I thought it was going to be.  I'll let you know how it goes.  

TommyChandler

Hey guys, one more tag on question...

I've backed up my old hard drive to an external hard drive complete with system image. Can I now install the new hard drive, boot from the external hard drive, copy everything on the external hard drive to the new internal drive, then live happily ever after?