Tosh5194

Satellite C855-S5194 Windows 8 Recovery OS and software

Hi,

I just bought a Satellite C855-S5194 with Win8  and already created system recovery disks. Now I bought an Office and installed it through Microsoft website (no disk). I would like to create an image for the case the hard drive is broken and not accessible, which includes both the OS and the Office that I installed.

I read from the User Guide that the system recovery disks can restore the OS and preinstalled software, but how about the software that I bought from MS?

Please let me know if there is any way to recover both OS and software. Thank you in advance!

Occasional Advisor
MokikkiSwish

Re: Satellite C855-S5194 Windows 8 Recovery OS and software

[ Edited ]

Thank you

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C855-S5194

1.  All of the Windows 7 image-creation and restore tools are available in Windows 8.

Control Panel > Windows 7 File Recovery

You can make a shortcut to this utility (sdclt.exe).

2. You'll want a bootable repair disc, of course. It enables you to restore from the image above and to reach the recovery environment if Windows does not boot.

Or make one this way for choice of a flash drive (and an OEM recovery image).

Control Panel > Recovery > Create a recovery drive

3. An option that's new in Windows 8 is Refresh, which restores everything except data files.

Settings > Change PC settings > General tab > Refresh your PC without affecting your files

In order to do that properly, however, you need to create backup images as for the full image above.

How to create a system image to refresh your Windows 8 PC

Create a custom recovery image for Windows 8's Refresh your PC tool

There is a free third-party application (RecImg Manager) that helps set up the procedure.

-Jerry
Tosh5194

Thank you MokikkiSwish for your advice.

I only want an image of my OS and installed softwares, just in case my hard drive is broken and not accessible and I have to replace it. I guess it comes from previous bad experience, I had to spend a lot of time to get back my softwares (phone calls, verification etc.).

The problem is that TOSHIBA recovery only recover preinstalled softwares (or not?).

I would like to know a simple way to create a back up disk that when I replace a hard drive, I will need to insert the disks and go through the instructions, then I will have my OS and software back. Other documents and files are regularly backed up, not my concerns for the moment.

Thank you.

Tosh5194

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Jerry.

I read Toshiba manual, it's said that recovery disks created only recover OS and Preinstalled softwares (is it true?). I would like to recover the softwares that I purchased separately (don't have disks, only through MS website).

Refresh option doesn't work when the hard drive need to be replaced and not accessible.

Reclmg, to my understanding, operates on windows. In case the hard drive is broken, I would lost both OS and softwares.

I used to use BART PE, but it doen't work for Windows 8.

Thank you.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Please read my message carefully. It is accurate.

Nothing I have mentioned has anything at all to do with the Toshiba recovery discussed in the User's Guide.

Everything there comes as part of Windows 8. It matters not whether Windows comes preinstalled with a computer or you install it yourself.

Do you understand?

-Jerry
Easyrider

I am having diffculty starting with Windows 8.

Tosh5194

Jerry,

Sorry, I am not a computer expert, so please be patient with me :-)

So you are saying that if I use the function "creating image" from windows 8, in case that the hard drive is broken and not accessible, I can buy a new hard drive  use that disk to restore the system and all softwares that I install?

(I am not worried about the files as I regularly back them up)

Thank you

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I am not a computer expert,..

So please pay attention, read things carefully, follow any links, think about it, and don't jump to hasty conclusions. Better to do more reading instead of typing a vague message to me.

I'll be repeating myself now, but I'll try to put more words in..

My No. 1 item explains that Windows 8 contains Windows 7's backup. You can google that and learn all about it. In particular, you'll learn that it enables you to create an image of the entire disk on external media. I'll save you some trouble and give you places to do your reading.

Learn more about system image backup

Back up your programs, system settings, and files

Restore your computer from a system image backup

Notice that when you create a system image of the hard drive, you can restore it either to the existing disk or to a brand new disk.

We create one of these images (with third-party tools) every single day for every computer and retain ten generations. Backup is our most important application.

My No. 2 item talks about a repair disk. That's the one you need when you are restoring to a new hard drive. Since Windows is not running, you need a way to begin the restore process. That's one of the functions of the repair disk.

You'll see a link in the Windows 7 File Recovery area like this.

Create a system repair disc

My No. 3 item talks about fixing things on your existing drive. Feel free to ignore it if you like. Maybe other viewers will find it of interest. When/if you find that Windows is broken, you'll begin to appreciate the various ways of recovering. Refresh is new in Windows 8.

-Jerry
Tosh5194

Jerry,

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate your effort and admire your knowledge!

I would like to let you know that I had read ALL those information in your links (and some)  BEFORE I came to this forum, and I was still confused, that is why I asked:

"So you are saying that if I use the function "creating image" from windows 8, in case that the hard drive is broken and not accessible, I can buy a new hard drive  use that disk to restore the system and all softwares that I install?"

A simple Yes or No would be sufficient!

I already got my answer, but again, thank you.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

There are lots of ways to create images in Windows 8.

I'm struggling to say that when you stick to the Windows 7 File Recovery utility, it still works the same.

-Jerry