InvadingZim95

Satellite C840 --- No Bootable Device problem at week 2 of usage.

Two things, I'm an amateur when it comes to laptop/computers, I do what the salesman tells me to do and that's it, I play by the salesman's rules. Also, I'm from South America so my native language is not english. Pardon me for grammar mistakes.

I bought this Satellite C840, and only with two weeks of usage or two weeks using it... I receive this problem after turning the laptop on:

"Checking Media... No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

I'm seriously bothered that what I'm assuming is a hardware problem happened by only 2 weeks of using this laptop. I have used many laptops and computers and they haven't given me a problem that I cannot solve myself this fast.

Now the laptop is on the place I bought it. With technical support and they call me telling me they need to import a piece of hardware for the computer, my hard drive I believe. (Really mad at losing all my files with a **bleep** new computer).

I read a couple threads about "Recovery Media" so I know about creating backup files... but is not backup files just backup files... does that mean that the problem will happen given the causes that it needs for it to happen? 

So I will create the backup as it says here but... does that assure me it will not happen this again? Or is that just a way to prepare myself when this happens again? And what caused this specific problem? I don't recall treating the hardware in any wrong way.

Sorry for any grammar mistakes. 

Cheers.

Peter

Re: Satellite C840 --- No Bootable Device problem at week 2 of usage.

[ Edited ]

We don't really know what caused it, so we won't know for sure if that's going to fix it or not. However if it happens after performing a recovery, you'll know you likely have a hardware failure.

Which model do you have? Can you check the model and part number off the bottom label? "C840" is only partial.

And please say hello to the Irkan Armada for me. :smileyhappy:

- Peter
InvadingZim95

I'm assuming that when they (the store where I bought the laptop and that currently has my laptop on Technical support... according with them, they'll have it until 22 of February tops, yay for me!) change the hard drive won't be considered a recovery... or it could be consider like one and I won't have to do the whole recovery thing?

I do have a code on the box of the laptop though... C845-SP4332SL PDC.

So... nobody knows why the "No bootable device..." thingy happens?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

If they change the hard drive, they're likely performing a system recovery as part of the process.

There are many reasons why you'd get that. The Windows installation could have become corrupt, leaving your computer unable to find anything to boot off the hard drive. The hard drive could be damaged. The motherboard could have a problem seeing the hard drive. There's really no way to know without seeing it.

- Peter