askeladd

Satellite A105-S3611 Recovery DVD won't boot - reverts to HDD boot

Satellite A105-S3611 Recovery DVD won't boot - reverts to HDD boot. 

My laptop has had a virus but is now clean but has some lingering effects.  So I decided to use the Recovery and Applications/Drivers Media to reinstall the system to factory settings.  Pressing the "C" key at the Toshiba screen did not work to choose the boot divice but pressing F12 did work.  The problem is the system still boots using the hard disk.  I've gone into the boot process and changed the order of boot devices to make sure the CD\DVD drive is chosen first but it does not boot from the CD/DVD.  It looks like it begins to read the DVD but the boot process is not executed from there.

Questions:

1. Can I install the system using windows explorer to execute the autorun.ini on the CD/DVD?

2. Is there another option for getting the system to install from the CD/DVD?

Thank you in advance

Roger

askeladd

Re: Satellite A105-S3611 Recovery DVD won't boot - reverts to HDD boot

One more thing.  The DVD looks to be good as I can access it and read files on it.

Occasional Advisor
archie_civil

looks like you need to get a new set of disc, order it here

askeladd

I ordered the recovery media and tried to use it but had the same results as reported earlier.  System does not use the Toshiba disk but still reverts to the Hard disk.  The DVD/CD drive is specified as first boot device in the BIOS. 

Any suggestions?

askeladd

I read somewhere on the forum that updating the BIOS may solve the problem.  So I updated the system BIOS from v1.40 to v2.0.  Then I reinserted the newly purchased recovery DVD and the boot process began with the DVD booting but ended with the message "WRONG MACHINE".

I ejected the recovery DVD that I just purchased and inserted the recovery DVD that came with the machine.  This time the machine booted and installed the factory image of the operating system as it should have the first time.

So I am now recovered and the machine works as it did originally.  So the moral of the story is you don't necessarily have to buy the new recovery DVD but just update the system BIOS and then try to use the recovery DVD that came with your machine.