Occasional Contributor
snowshed
Accepted Solution

Recovery process from hard drive, Satellite A135

The plan is to reinstall Vista from the Recovery Partition on a friend's computer.  Looking at the hard drive via disk management, it appears the Recovery Partition is still intact.

The recovery process has not been attempted pending an answer to my question.

According to the manual on page 60, Recovering the original factory image is the recommended recovery method.  But the wording in a caution on that page has me concerned.

"Recovering a hard disk drive to its out of box state deletes all partitions on the hard disk drive and your information will be lost.  Be sure to save your work to external media first."

"deletes all partitions"...  Surely, it doesn't delete the recovery partition!  Right?  

Thanks.

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Re: Recovery process from hard drive, Satellite A135

SShed, hello.

>>> Surely, it doesn't delete the recovery partition!  Right? 

No, it will not. It uses the Recovery to redo the C:\ partition, that is all.  Go for it.

You will only loose all what is on the C:\ according to the rules. No "Good luck" needed, it will work.   Jean.

Occasional Contributor
snowshed

Thank you, Jean, that was going to be my assumption.   :smileyvery-happy:

Ken

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Sshed, me again.

If you look a little further in this forum, there is a text from a very knowledgable writer that seems to imply that the Recovery partition is also redone, the one on the HD. I questioned this and am waiting for a reply, normally quick. I can not see how it can carry on the restore if the partition is flushed.  It has to have access to the data to do its work, methinks. Doing a recovery from DVD medium is 'nother kettle of fish, the data is on the DVDs.

One has to be logical about this process, I am trying.  Jean.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Jean, I don't know the details of how a hard disk is restored to its original out-of-the-box contents from the recovery partition. But I have been assured that it does.

(I didn't know the Satellite A135 series came with a partition that restores the drive.)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
snowshed

Jerry,

I'm beginning to think it doesn't, even though there is a hidden partition on the hard drive.

By accident, I did get into a start up repair mode, but Windows can't fix itself.  (Ask me if I'm surprised at that!  LOL)  I need to figure out how get there again, so far no luck in finding that in the manual.

Also, the manual for the computer says there is a recovery partition for "certain models", without any guidelines as to which models you might find a recovery partition.

@$#%&(*^#@&*$%     LMAO!!

Since there is the possibility of no recovery partion, do you know if a set of Toshiba disks were provided with the computer?

Ken

Ken

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

SShed, hello.

When I got my Toshiba, I read all that I could in the onboard manual, it mentioned that there were no recovery medium but the Restore partition and that this is now a recognized way to safeguard one's new machine. It also stated that one could burn that partiton to DVDs, three of them, I did, I like being safe and keep my machine going.

Then I got a free W-7 upgrade to replace Vista, when I installed it, it overwrote the whole HD with W-7 data and DID NOT redo the Restore partition as I now had a DVD in hand. If the machine croaks, redo again with the W-7 DVD.  Where do you fit in this scenario ? It seems to me that access to that RP has been lost, has it ? Your only bet is to obtain the DVD from Toshiba, not too dear but quick in the posting.

I was given another Toshiba who had a virus and the owner had formatted the HD, he had not done the DVD and his RP was gone. I got the DVD for that one from T., an XPP OS and that was it. It now runs fine.

So same story on both T. that I handled. With the DVD you could redo yours too. I know, you would still like to find out and also succeed in Restoring, some day we have to bite the bullet !

The address for the DVD is at the very top of one conference here.  Jean.

Back in :  I had a look at the specs for a few A135 and in the Sofware it says that It has a Recovery Disk Creator. Caveat emptor !

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't have any Toshiba machines here. But it's my impression from what I've read in the forums that the Satellite A135 series came with recovery discs.

In any case, you can order them.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
snowshed

I'm now thinking you are right, there should be disks for the computer.   :smileysad:

The computer actually belongs to a friend who isn't particularly computer literate.  :smileysad: I asked for any disks and documentation that came with it, but she didn't have time to search for it.  Works 7 days a week at the moment.

When her kids' computers stopped working, she let them use her computer.  The kids were on Limewire, etc.  Then her computer stopped talking to the internet, period, last December.  I am trying to resurrect the thing.   :smileyhappy:

My friend doesn't even remember if she got disks or not.  But, with what I've learned here, she must have them assuming they didn't get lost as she bought the computer new.

But I am making progress.  With a combo of 3 different anti-something/fixit software, found around 75 viruses, trojans, spyware, etc. usning another computer to do the checks.  Talks great to the web now!   LOL

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

[ Edited ]

Ken, will you give us the full model numbers...ie: A135 xxxx

The A135 user manual is very different from one to the other.    Jean.

Occasional Contributor
snowshed

Hi, Jean,

A135 S7406

From the product support page, when you step through the selection criteria, you end up at http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=185487...

Select User Guide, and this manual downloads:  SatA130A135_GMAD00094011_Apr23_2007.pdf

Since concluding there is no recovery partition, pages 56-59 do not apply.  The screen shot on page 60 applies, but when I finally found that screen, it did ask me for the CD's.  However, Toshiba managed to leave out the fact that to get to that point, you have to boot into Safe Mode, then select "Repair Windows Installation", or words to that effect.  Right now, the computer is defragging, so I can't check the exact words.

This is not my first time at reinstalling the OS and software.   :smileyvery-happy:

I sure wish I had those cds!!  I've spent almost two days trying to find and remove all the junk that kept me from getting anywhere.  I should say that a lot of those two days spent is not due to ignorance, but to not having DSL for downloading needed files.  Stuck with satellite internet.

Ken

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A135-S7406

I don't see the Recovery Disc Creator program listed in the specs above.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Jerry, as much as I hate this, I will agree with you.:smileyvery-happy:  Is this where you read it ?

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=185487...

Looks like unless our friend Ken can desinfect the machine, he will have to get the DVD from Toshiba. What good antimalware would you recommend to him ?

My Toshiba is great, you ought to get one.         Jean.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The specs are here.

I don't have much hope of cleaning things up. Best to restore the factory image.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
snowshed

Jerry and Jean,

No worries!!!  I'm cruising here, all the malware is GONE, GONE GONE!!!!  All Windows updates, critical and optional are installed.  Everything the owner wanted gone and presumeably installed by her daughters has been removed.

I'm actually down to installing some free software the owner would like, partitioning the drive, tweaking settings and such.

I would have been done yesterday if I would have had those CD's!   :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.  If the owner can meet on Sunday afternoon, I'm not seeing any obstacles in my way to getting the computer back to her.

As for the antimalware, I'm going to recommend some packages you pay for that allow you to install on 3 machines.  In this case, owner's computer, and the daughter's computers.

When I read reviews, Norton, AVG, Trend Micro, and McAfee always rate good.  But when I read user blogs, and talk with a couple of friends, the reports are always the opposite.

I've always had good luck with PC Tools software.  It was PC Tools and the free version of Malwarebytes that found the vast majority of the issues.

I've also run across some reviews of software that list programs I've never heard of, and rate those programs higher than Norton, Kaspersky, and others I generally see and hear about.  But those reviews, one especially, was from England.  I haven't had the time to investigate any of those packages.

I'm open to your thoughts and opinions as to what to use.

Ken

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

all the malware is GONE, GONE GONE!!!! 

Good for you, Ken. I'm really surprised that you could accomplish it.

But don't count all your chickens before checking out everything. Usually there is damage left over.

-Jerry
Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Well, Ken, I am not surprised that you could do this, I am quite glad that you suceeded. I could tell from your writing that, as it was quite concise and clear, that the grey matter was above average.  We learn as we go, do we not ?

I have gone throught the same experience so many times that I have lost count, I have friends that have younsters as your friend has and they can really, unknowingly, damage a machine. Educate them at the same time that you return the machine otherwise you might have to do it all over again.

I have even learned from Jerry, the Toshibaless writer.

Now get a USB HD and clone/image the machine. 

Jerry, in some write up, I see that clone and image are the same thing, different words, so we actually do the same thing. I am going to my sister's home over the weekend and install a 1/3 of family DVD of W-7. I will do a clone first of her Vista, just in case and when the machine, her HP, runs fine, I will again clone it and leave her the HD. Acronis it is.

This is a very fine conference. It was fun chatting with both of you.     Jean.

Occasional Contributor
snowshed

I won't be counting my chickens before they hatch.  But things are looking good right now.

It will all get fresh scans before I take it back to the owner.

Occasional Contributor
snowshed

Thanks for the compliments, Jean, it's much appreciated.  I've been a computer user for years.  My first one is an Atari 800 if you've heard of them.  Still have it and all the peripherals in storage.  I sure would like to set it up again someday.  I even have the same TV I used back then!   :smileysurprised:

I suspect the daughters may actually be ahead of the mother, but being teenagers, they probably have no clue about computer safety.

Can't afford the USB HD for cloning, and even if I did, I'm sure at this point the owner wouldn't have a clue how to use any backup.  But I'm going to try to talk her into buying one and setting up a back up system.  One of her jobs is at WalMart, so she can get something with the employee discount.

My main computer is an iMac, and I just started doing Time Machine back ups a few months ago.  Already saved my bacon.

Education always goes with my fixes, it's a given.

Ken

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Jerry, in some write up, I see that clone and image are the same thing, different words, so we actually do the same thing.

Not so, Jean! At least the backup people do not use those terms interchangeably.

When you clone, you copy what's on one drive to another. A real clone would be a bit-for-bit copy, so that the drives have identical contents. If the entire drive is cloned (and the hardware is compatible), the clone should be able to replace the existing drive.

When you write an image, the program doing so bundles up all the stuff that you're imaging and writes it as a single file. When you fish a file out of an image or when you restore the entire image, you must use a program provided by that same source.

-Jerry