manpaw

Recovery of Factory Default Software or Erase the Hard disk

I'm tryiong to wipe my laptop (Satellite A305) clean and reinstall Vista using my recovery disk and the Toshiba Recovery Wizard. When I get the the point of no return I have 2 options, either Recovery of Factory Default Software or Erase the hard disk. I've tried to use the first option (Recovery of Factory Default Software) before and it didn't wipe the virus I have on my computer off so I want to try the second option (Erase the hard disk) but i'm not sure what will happen

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Recovery of Factory Default Software or Erase the Hard disk

To rid yourself of a virus, you should delete all the partitions and overwrite all of the sectors on the hard disk. Those bugs can hide even in other partitions.

See the section Recovering the original factory image (recommended recovery method), which begins on p. 62 of the User's Guide.

Satellite A300 Series User’s Guide

That Guide most likely applies to your computer. But if you reply, be sure to give us the complete model number. I've noticed that sometimes Toshiba modifies the Guide.

-Jerry
biz
biz

Will choosing to erase the hard disk however erase operating system and all? will the computer be re-instated to out of factory state again? will you just have a blank screen?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

When you restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media, everything is replaced (erased if you like).

The disk is just like you received it originally.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
oliverpowell

The second option is easy to perform and can erase all problems of your PC without any hassle..I have heard about any data recovery programs which can help in recovering the formatted or deleted data back....

steve04240

That is what I am doing at this moment...erasing my hard disk on a toshiba A350D series....It is presently using disk 1 of 2.Question: after it gets through this and erases the hard disk..(looks like its going to take about 24 hours!?) I imagine it will prompt me to put disc 2 of 2 in...Will this disc restore windows vista operating system on my laptop??

Xiahking

hello i choose that option too. and it takes more than 15 hours till it done , then it shhut's down my laptop. and when i start it. it says OS not found?? do you have any idea how to install my OS back??

IsaiahMWilliams

I have did the Deletng Partions option and i thought it had worked and get this they wanted m to reinstall windows 7 again so I pressed 0 and it lead me to the HDD Recovery and I am choosin the Default Factory Software option and I want to will this restore my laptop with out havig reinstall windows 7
Klashae

I recently restored my laptop to erase hard disk, after the restoring my computer screen went blank with a blinking curser at the top. What do i do? I have no cd for my computer. Please help.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Klashae wrote:..

Please start a new thread for your problem. Click the blue New Message button at the top left.

Tell us which model your computer is. There is a label on the bottom.

Explain more about erasing your drive. Did you also restore it?

-Jerry