JAA404

Recovery disk stuck in endless reboot - sat. P35

I'm just trying to reinstall winxp home to a newly installed hard drive after my old drive died.

Ok, here's system info
    model name:    Satellite P35-S611
    part #:        PSP 30U-20H001

Recovery disk info
    Toshiba
    Recovery and Applications / Drivers DVD
    Satellite P30 / P35 Series
    TK143/PMAE00127012

Recovery disk shrink wrap label info
    HRZYK000110 (v3)
    AMA400050011
    (TK143/PMAE00127012)
    Sat. P35 Recovery Package
    S26-00026/070-02405

{1} As per only instructions on the back of the recovery disk case; I power up while holding the "C" key.

{2} The disk boots a dos session and text pops up for a full system restore ( F1 to continue, F2 to cancel )

{3} I press F1.

{4} A text warning screen pops up about losing all data when formatting the hard drive ( C to continue, A to abort )

{5} I press C

{6} 2 or 3 seconds later my laptop reboots to the dos session in step {2}, there are no warnings or messages, just an endless loop of this "recovery" software asking me to press F1 and C to continue.

I have multiple *nix live cds and can partition and format this new drive to anything this recovery cd needs, but there is NO documentation about this rcovery disk other than power up while holding the "C" key.

Occasional Contributor
TonyBrowning

Re: Recovery disk stuck in endless reboot - sat. P35

I have learned very little about computers but it sounds like your pc recconizes the disk as a recovery disk but for some reason maybe your pc is not reading it.And we know you are booting from your cd/dvd drive.You might even buy a 100 dollar windows xp disk from Wally World and it still not read it,who knows.Are you informing us that you replaced your old HD with a new one or you wish the recovery disk restore your pc back to factory new again? If its same old HD and If you did buy a new windows xp i would burn a free ISO DBAN (Deriks Boot and Nuke)to clear everything off the HD first.Or if you never want to be out anymore money and get fed-up trying to find a DMI download for my Toshiba A105 like i did,so i ISO burned a free Linux OS (Fedora OS...in with Red Hat OS)for my OS install and i'm loving it.Theres even a free open source Abi and Office thats in there and as of now you won't even have to purchase the expensive word 3 or word 7 every year.Bet all folks atending colleges and the colleges plus business's wish they had known that...

Occasional Contributor
TonyBrowning

Notice i stated at the start of my long paragraph "MAYBE" its not reading whats on your recovery disk.What you Super Contributors think?Beforehand when i was running my recovery disk and it wasn't reading, it would load and then display either a WRONG MACHINE message or a media failure message and also state "once i see the Toshiba logo upon power up to try holding down the "r" to try and "r"eformat a patition or maybe "r"epair it...but that never worked for me.My fan was free spinning loud like there was nothing on my HD.Must be how that works because i never DBAN my Toshiba A105 and once i installed Fedora OS on there its as quite as a mouse and not hot like its over-working.Plus its fast as lightening.Any advice Cee or Super Contributors?I could be wrong?

Occasional Contributor
gdief

I came across this thread by accident looking to ask another question. I have a Fujitusu laptop with Xp on it. I did the same thing you did (several times) I formatted C drive numerous times and tried to put it into the factory settings. It would boot up normally, but then after the windows logo, it would go into the dreaded blue screen. I got a lot of help to no avail. I finally decided to burn a copy of Ubuntu and install it. Damned if it didn't install right away and it even updated immediately. This thing works flawlessly. I am going to let my son have it and use it for school.

But the question remains, Why does this work, but Windows does not????

Didn't mean to jump in here, just hope you get some answers.

JAA404

Some more details about this UNSOLVED failure in the recovery discs code.
{step 2 screen is:}

Welcome to the Toshiba Recovery utility.

This process will restore the original default system install on your hard drive.

Note that the current contents of your hard drive will be erased and replaced by the default system install.  You should back up your system before continuing.

By selecting OK, you are accepting the terms of the Microsoft end-user license agreement that appears in the Windows License Agreement Setup Screen.

F1 = OK, F2 = Cancel

{step 3 I press F1}

{Breifly followed by:}

The recovery is in progress, please wait

{step 4 screen is:}

(ascii graphic of Xs spelling out "Warning")

Continuing with this process will erase the current contents of your hard disk drive and replace them with the original default system install.  To proceed:

1. Ensure that the recovery CD/DVD is in the CD/DVD drive.

2. Keep the CD/DVD in the drive until you are asked to remove it.

If you do not want to erase the contents of your hard isk drive then press 'A' to abort.

To continue press (C), To abort press (A)...[C,A}?

{and then it reboots and starts over again about 3 seconds after pressing "C"}

The new hard drive works perfectly; it is not the problem.  I can install and uninstall ubunto on it with zero problems.

I was also able to install / uninstall Windows2000pro from an actual real w2k install disc (not a crapfest recovery disc)

While running w2k I can put the Toshiba WinXPhome recovery DVD in the drive and it will autorun its GUI.

Pressing the about button on the recovery GUI pops up:

Satellite P30, P35 Windows XP Home PIRAD DVD -v1.1

Toshiba Recovery and Applications CD

Version 1.1.1.26 Copyright (c) 1997-2002 Toshia America

The Recovery GUI gives the option of installing individual applications (NO, WinXP is not listed among the applications); or doing a complete system restore.

When complete restore is selected, a warning about data loss appears and it asks that a confirm button be pressed before pressing finish.

After these buttons arre pressed the Recovery GUI and W2K shut down and the system reboots into the text screen rebooting loop described above.

THE RECOVERY DISC FUNCTIONS AS A DISC
ITS THE CODE TOSHIBA WROTE TO THE RECOVERY DISK THAT IS BAD

Occasional Contributor
gdief

If I understand correctly, the problem lies with the Toshiba recovery disk. If this is correct, then why do I have the same problem with my Fujitsu laptop doing exactly the same thing.

I'm not trying to get answers on the Fujitsu, I'm over here because I also have a Toshiba. I wanted to see if anyones having the same problem. It is some form of write error or something left by Windows that does not allow the disk to installed correctly. I was told that I had a bad disk. So does this mean I should go out and buy a full version of XP. Will this install, and what about the drivers. Do I take it off of the recovery disk or ?

JAA404

I'd be willing to bet that Fujitsu and Toshiba contracted with the same third party vendor to produce their recovery disks, and the same error was made in some batch file, script, or other executable.

If what i've been seeing in forums is right, trying to use the old system XP license numbers on a real microsoft XP install disk WILL NOT WORK.  The XP license numbers that came with our systems only work on the XP trapped in these crappy recovery disks.

ThoseCrazyKids

I AM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!  TOSHIBA SATTELITE A75-S209.  I AM TRYING TO DO A 'FACTORY INSTALL' ON A BRAND NEW HARD DRIVE.  THE HARD DRIVE IS GOOD AND ISN'T THE PROBLEM.  WHEN I DO THE RECOVERY CD, I GET THE SAME MESSAGES AND THE SAME ENDLESS REBOOT ISSUE... IT NEVER PROGRESSES BEYOND THAT.  DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THIS WAS RESOLVED FOR THIS PERSON???  THANKS

Occasional Contributor
Tony_Oresteen

I think it is a BIOS issue with drives larger that 128GB.  I think the recovery disk is looking for a smaller drive to lay down an image on.

See my answer here:

http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/Using-Recovery-CD-on-new-Hard-Drive/...