Gripweed

Recovery/Reformatting Satellite Laptop

This may have been answered a 100 times but I couldn't find anything off top.

I just got a P755-S5320 Satellite Laptop. It of course tells me to create a recovery disk. I've never created one before because if something happens, I just want to reformat anyways. I keep all my files on an external hard drive, so it's basically a saturday afternoon reformatting and getting back to where I was.

That being said, my last computer, an Acer, all I had to do was click something and it'd reformat and I'd be on my way.

Is this feature on my Toshiba? Will it reformat me to factory/default? Is all of this stored on the HDD?

The recovery disk is really just to go back to a certain point right? Like right now I got iTunes, Skype, Evernote installed...so if I make a recovery now, it'll reformat me backt o this point with those three programs installed, right?

Just trying to get everything straightened out with a new brand.

Appreciate the help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Recovery/Reformatting Satellite Laptop

Satellite P755-S5320 

It of course tells me to create a recovery disk. I've never created one before because if something happens, I just want to reformat anyways.

By "reformatting" you mean to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media?

That's exactly what the recovery discs do. "Reformatting" can also be done directly from a hidden partition on the hard drive.

See the section Recovering the Internal Storage Drive, which begins on p. 62 of the User's Guide.

Satellite/Satellite Pro P700 Series User’s Guide

The User's Guide has all sorts of other useful information.

-Jerry
Gripweed

Right. Reformat back to factory/default/out of box.

So I can do that via the hard drive, without a recovery disk. The recovery disk is mainly a back up for then the hard drive fails, right?

Does it matter if I make a recovery disk after I've already installed a couple of things? They should just be included with the recovery, right?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Does it matter if I make a recovery disk after I've already installed a couple of things? They should just be included with the recovery, right?

Wrong. If you review the User's Guide, you'll see that recovery discs always restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents. They are constructed from the same image that you would use to recover directly from the hard disk.

To back up your current hard disk, use Windows 7 to make an image.

What is a system image?

-Jerry
Gripweed

Got it.

Thanks for the help. I read these things and while it makes sense, I guess it always helps to have a real person telling me to confirm it. 

Appreciate the help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy to help.

-Jerry