wisehopper

Recovery Media Creator

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I was not able to find it.

Laptop - Satellite L505D-GS6000

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

I want to perform a system restore back to factory defaults.  There was no recovery media created when this PC was new.  The Toshiba Recovery Media Creator application was installed.  Trying to boot to the Repair PC option from the Advanced Boot Options menu just hangs at the white loading progress bar.  I have already reviewed the following posts.

[Create Recovery Media]

http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2753749x... 0 154240180

[System Recovery 0]

http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2737864x... 0 154240182

[System Recovery F8]

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2291088&pf=true

I cannot find anywhere I can download the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator application to reinstall on that computer.  Is that application not available for download?

Alternatively how can I get past the hang on the repair boot?

Jason

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Recovery Media Creator

Satellite L505D-GS6000 (PSLV6U-01F009)

The Toshiba Recovery Media Creator application was installed.

Not clear on that, Jason. Did you mean to say it was not installed? Or didn't it work? (It's shown in the spec above.)

Open Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) and verify that you have the recovery partition. Maybe attach a picture.

I don't know anything about this download. It seems to have had good reviews.

TOSHIBA Recovery Disc Creator

You probably know you can obtain the discs from Toshiba.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

PS Good job tracking down Toshiba documents!

-Jerry
wisehopper

I think that may have been spell checker correcting "uninstalled".  What I meant was the Recovery Disc Creator was uninstalled.

Yes, the recovery partition is there.  That is what makes this so frustrating.  I know there files I need are there I just cannot access them. 

Yes, I did see in numerous other posts that I can order the recovery media from Toshiba.

I downloaded and installed the application you linked.  That is version 2.0.0.2.  I had previously found on toshiba.com version 5.0.0.6a which was labeled for Windows Vista.  Neither one will launch after installed.  I tried running as administrator since UAC is still on.  I tried changing the compatibility mode.  Nothing helps.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Neither one will launch after installed.  I tried running as administrator since UAC is still on.  I tried changing the compatibility mode. 

What happens? If there's a message, attach a picture.

I had previously found on toshiba.com version 5.0.0.6a which was labeled for Windows Vista.

Where did you find that one? Can you give me the link?

-Jerry
wisehopper

I do not know how I found this the first time.  I was only able to find it again by opening my IE download manager and choosing to open the download webpage on that download.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/downloadDetail.jsp?pf=true&soid=2350850

No errors when trying to launch the application, it just does not open.  A small window opens and closes so fast I cannot tell what it is.  I am going to try removing the RDC and reinstall it again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I wonder why Toshiba no longer offers that application for download (about the time Windows 7 appeared)

The only way I know to get it is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents.

Maybe somebody from Toshiba will drop by and explain that to us.

-Jerry
wisehopper

That is what I am trying to do, restore to factory default.  But the repair boot fails.  Just hangs at the loading progress screen.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

It appears you'll need to order the discs.

-Jerry
wilderckw

[ Edited ]

When I try to order the recovery disk it tells me invalid serial number and model. Mine is a NB300-008 S#XXXXXXXXX i just want to get it to load to out of box state. All it will do is boot up than black screen with blinking curser in upper left hand corner. Please help

[Moderator edit to remove serial number.]

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Netbook NB300-008 (PLL3EC-008008)

This site is for US computers. All the stuff for that Canadian model is here.

According to the FAQ there,...

If you have lost your Recovery Disc(s) and need a replacement please call 1-800-663-0378.

-Jerry
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks so much for the link you gave me to NB300-008. One more question i downloaded the bios file put it on a usb and tried booting from it and it tell me missing operation system.

What makes you think that should be bootable?

BIOS update instructions

PS I don't do private messages..

-Jerry
wilderckw

Sorry for the dumb question again the only reason i thought it was it is becasue under the drivers tab it has 7/29/2010 BIOS Update (Windows Installation) Toshiba Windows 7 32bit 1.70 Plus all kinds more im just not sure if i need to download all of them or what. Please help me and thanks for all the help you have giving me already.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I would not update a BIOS unless there's a good reason.

-Jerry
wilderckw

Well than how to i make the restore disk? There is a huge list of drivers . Here is a screen shot of some of them. Do i down load them all and try again IDK Im lost if im bugging you Ill just give up.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

how to i make the restore disk?

You can do that only when Windows is running. See the section Creating Recovery Media, which begins on p. 3-12 of the User's Manual (attached).

I have nothing more to say.

-Jerry
wilderckw

Thanks anyways... That was my whole point i lost my backup i had on a thumb drive. Well thanks anyway.

jackson4822

Try turning your laptop off.  Hold 0(zero) down, turn the computer on.  There may be a hidden partition and the computer will give you the option of restoring factory settings.