Occasional Contributor
rmkthandyman

Recovery Media Creator is still a problem

I now have a Toshiba Satellite L650-0ED017 (see my previous post for the back story). It was recommended that it would be best to create new recovery discs for this computer rather than rely on the discs from the previous one.

So, clicked on the appropriate icon and away it went. Inserted the first disc and realised they were the recovery discs from the old computer. OK, no problem, they are DVD-RW discs, just erase them.

This done I restarted the Recovery Media Creator. Up comes the dialog warning about changes to the computer. Click on “Yes” and the dialog “Recovery Media Creator – Please wait” pops up for a few seconds then  ……. NOTHING.

I have tried this several times with the same result. Ditto with rebooting. The bloody thing won't work.

Any ideas? Anybody? Somebody?

Just an editorial comment: It is a little disturbing that there is a Forum Board dedicated to System Recovery and the high level of traffic on this subject. What is even more concerning is there seems to be some doubt as to the ability of the discs to do the job of recovery (once you manage to create them). Mr. Toshiba, are you paying attention?

Occasional Advisor
Heman

Re: Recovery Media Creator is still a problem

Have you tried using new disks? And is the process itself running? I'd check in task manager to see if it is just shutting off after that dialog box disappears.
www.google.com
Occasional Contributor
rmkthandyman

This particular laptop does not come with discs, you are supposed to be able to create them with the "Recovery Media Creator" program. The one that is giving me grief.

Just attempted to run RMC (for short) again with the Task Manager onscreen. And yes, the program goes from "running" to "not responding" to not there.

A question: is RMC a onetime only program or can you make several sets of recovery discs?

Occasional Advisor
Heman

I'm aware of that. You specified you has RW discs and could reuse them. Have you attempted the process using brand new burnable media? It is not a one shot program, so provided it functions you're welcome to make as many copies as you like.
www.google.com
Occasional Contributor
rmkthandyman

Hi Arkadia,

Have you attempted the process using brand new burnable media?

Yep, I've tried it with old discs, new discs, without discs. It craps out before getting to the point of needing discs.

Occasional Contributor
rmkthandyman

Arkadia wrote:
Have you tried using new disks?

Arkadia,

Sorry about that, I misread your question. I took it the mean the discs supplied fron Toshiba that several people have been discussing.

Bob

Regular Advisor
eniac

I asked Toshiba tech support and the techs at Best Buy.

Both said to use good quality DVD-R disks.

They suggested Sony or Verbatim. The

Geek Squad techs said they used Dynex

DVD-R disks as recovery media.

I purchased Sony and Dynex DVD-R disks.

The first thing I did after I powered up

the laptop for the first time was to

create two complete sets of recovery

disks using both brands.

DjFaze

I`ve had a problem with the toshiba recovery creator , as many guys have mentioned in this post use premium quality disc , i prefer to use vertabim myself , as i have used cheap supermarket rw`s and these have bugged out during the writing process. Since i `ve started using vertabims i find these 100% writing rate what ever i`m writing.

Occasional Contributor
rmkthandyman

This thread has gotten off the topic.(See the original post)

Instead of discussing the Recovery Media Creator program failing to work even before a disc was inserted, it became a discussion of different types of discs for recording the Recovery data.

In spite of everyone’s best effort the ORIGINAL problem has not been addressed.

So, here is how I fixed it. By powering up the computer while holding down F8 I have returned the computer to it’s “As factory supplied state”. This allowed the recalcitrant program to operate correctly and I have created my recovery discs. Fortunately, the computer is new and did not have any data that was important since this procedure removes everything I might have added since I bought it.

Gentlemen, I thank you for your well intentioned (albeit misdirected) comments.

dwilliams

I purchased the Toshiba L450 in Sept. 2010. I now has a  E61 media error. My sister-in-law and nephew bought the same computer all with in a few weeks of each other and Guess what. All the computers have the same error. I firmly believe that there is a hard drive defect. I am scheduled to send it back to the company but to heck with that afraid they wont come good on it so I like my family has purchased a hard-drive from e-bay. It is the last Toshiba I will ever buy. I am on my Dell that is 4 1/2 yrs. old. and still going. Never has crashed!!

Occasional Contributor
tom183

I am having the EXACT same problem...  Would have been nice if someone had posted a real solution.