Iyrs

Questions about Factory Reset

So I have a toshiba L500-038 that's nearly three years old now. Back around 2 years ago it got a virus that wrecked some of the registry keys so now programs such as all microsoft office programs and firefox all have minor problems. I'm thinking about performing a factory reset but I have some questions about it:

1. I didn't create recovery disks when I first got the laptop since I didn't know I was supposed to. I know there's the recovery media program that allows you to create disks. Does that burn the original factory reset information onto the disks or does that backup the stuff you have on it now onto the disks? Can you do a factory reset without them or no?

2. Does the factory reset affect Windows 7? I.e. would I have to re-enter any codes or anything to re-active it? I'm not sure if Windows 7 was included by Toshiba or from the store I bought it from.

3. I did google some information on this already and have seen a lot of people complain about how trying to perform a factory reset supposedly caused their laptop to become completely unusable. How often/in what instances is this most likely to occur? o.o

Any information would be most helpful.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Questions about Factory Reset

Satellite L500-038 (PSLS0C-038012)

Everything for that Canadian model is here.

1. The Toshiba recovery discs (and the image in a hidden partition on the hard drive) restores the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents. It never changes.

2. Same answer. That restore replaces everything on the hard drive.

3. If either the hard drive or the recovery discs are bad, then things won't work properly, of course. (It's also the case, that restoring to one of the new drives with advanced-format technology may cause trouble. See my message about that.)

For much more, see the section System Recovery Options, which begins on p. 3-12 of the User's Manual (attached).

If restoring the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media does not fix a problem, it means software was not the problem.

-Jerry
Iyrs

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the help, although I now have other questions. 

1. Is it possible for the recovery partition and the its files to be corrupted? I'm not sure how much the virus affected so it'd be nice to know if there's a possibility before I do it.

2. What happens if the recovery disks are bad? (as if, if something goes wrong when burning them, and obviously one can't tell if it's files are good or not) Is it possible to abort the recovery then?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

1. It would be extremely unlikely to affect the hidden partition. In any case, I doubt you could burn discs or restore from a corrupted image. You can obtain new discs if necessary from Toshiba.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

2. The recovery will crash if the discs are not good.

A virus would need to affect the BIOS to survive.

-Jerry
Iyrs

Should the laptop crash due to bad recovery cds, would you be able to start it up normally again, or would it be stuck in a loop of trying to recover and be thus unusable?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Nobody knows. Depends how far the restore has progressed.

But it's always possible to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using the correct Toshiba recovery media so long as the hardware is okay.

In other words, it makes no difference what's on the hard disk before you start the restore.

-Jerry