mahler9

Problem installing new SATA hard drive on Satellite A205-S5800

Original hard drive in Satellite A205-S5800 loaded with Windows Vista Home Basic crashed and I tried installing a new Western Digital 250GB Black Scorpio SATA drive (compatible per Toshiba) unsuccessfully so I returned it.  Now I'm running into the same dead end with a 2nd new hard drive--the same model as came with the laptop originally, a Toshiba MK1246GSX 120 GB SATA drive.

1. I upgraded the memory to a compatible kit of 2 x 1GB Crucial sticks of RAM.
  2. I updated the BIOS to the latest version, 2.50 Phoenix TrustedCore(tm).
  3. After installing the Toshiba hard drive I launch the BIOS. 
        - Hard Disk Drive: I see "TOSHIBA MK1246GSX-(S1)," so it looks to me like I'm seeing the HDD in the BIOS
        - There's very few options to do change anything in the BIOS to begin with, and nothing re: IDE vs. SATA.
  4. I followed the appropriate steps to install the new hard drives and boot from the recovery disks which came with the laptop.  I understand VISTA should be capable of handling the SATA drive.  The next steps will detail what occurs.
  5. "Windows is loading files"
  6. I have the option of "TOSHIBA Recovery Wizard" or "System Recovery Wizard"
  7. If I select TOSHIBA Recovery Wizard the following occurs:
    a) I get a DMI.EXE - Application Error:  "The instruction at 0x773c2591 referenced memory at 0x00004135.  The memory could not be read.  Click on OK to terminate the program". 
    b) I click OK and get the "ERROR : 03-EEEE-0000  An error has occurred.  Please press [OK] to turn off the computer." 
    Also, take note I get the same error with the original pair of 2 sticks of RAM.  I've tried to research the the DMI.EXE and 03-EEEE-0000 issues, but I don't know what if anything these really have to do.
  8. Next, I try System Recovery Wizard. 
  9. First System Recovery Options window has me click Next to US keyboard layout. 
  10. 2nd System Recovery Options window concerns the operating system.  It is blank (Windows Vista does not appear) and tells me to "click Load Drivers to load drivers for your hard disks."  Is this normal?
  11. I click Load Drivers and from Computer I can try opening files from only "Boot (X:smileyhappy:" or "CD Drive (D:smileyhappy:."  I'm not 100% sure what I'm supposed to do here, but ...
  12. There's nothing on the CD drive to select for opening when I browse all the directories:  AUTOIT, BOOT, I386, PLANFOLDER, ZZIMAGES, BIN, COMPS1, IMAGES_BOOT, SOURCES.
  13. I browsed the four directories under Boot (X:smileyhappy:--only the Windows directory has files I can select, and I hunched my way to the inf directory, and found some which allowed me to load drivers ("adp94xx," "adpahci," "iastorv") but none which result in operating system to repair when loaded.
  14. I click Next even without an operating system appearing, but dead ends all the way around.

HELP!!!

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

Re: Problem installing new SATA hard drive on Satellite A205-S5800

try putting the old memory back in and see if it makes a difference.  Laptops are notorious for being very picky about what memory they will work with, and since you have changed yours, that may be an issue.

I had an old desktop PC once that ran fine with the memory I had put in it, but I could not have that memory in it when I reinstalled windows, it would error every time.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
mahler9

Thx lorddethstalker.

I dropped the original sticks of RAM back in.  Same error with TOSHIBA Recovery Wizard.  Same apparent dead end with System Recovery Wizard.  I get to System Recovery Options where I do not see the Vista operating system and am instructed to load drivers for the hard disk--but do not know what I am supposed to load from where. 

I also do not know what I should expect to encounter in the context of a new SATA drive + Toshiba recovery disks.  I sort of expected a plug and play scenario, plug in the new hard drive, boot to recovery disks, format new hard disk and install OS.  How do I determine the drivers I should load at the System Recovery Option screen, and/or what should the "normal" sequence of events be with new SATA?

Gracias.

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

When you say the old hard drive crashed, what do you mean?  Did windows crash or did the drive die?

If the drive died, it may be that there is a problem with the motherboard, and not the drive.

For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
mahler9

Good question.  The old drive was starting to behave erratically--sometimes Vista booted up, sometimes it didn't.  Eventually it became "stuck" in a cyclical loop where it says Vista update 1 of 3 is being installed but never proceeded beyond ... rebooting didn't change anything. 

What's interesting is that when I drop the old drive back in and attempt Toshiba Recovery with it I receive the same error as I am getting with the new drive.  "Bad" recovery disks?

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

It may well be the recovery discs