david0

Possible to start factory recovery from command line?

My Sattelite is the A205. I was not able to start factory recovery from recommended options so I tried loading the OS from an install disk - bad idea. Now none of the bootup options are available. But I can see that the restore partition is still there. My question is, can I boot to a command prompt, change to the restore partition and inintiate the factory restore process? Or are there any other opeions other than ordering the restore DVD set?

David

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Possible to start factory recovery from command line?

[ Edited ]

Given what you've done, the odds are not good. But, try the steps in this article:

Pressing the Zero Key While Powering on the Computer Does Not Start the Toshiba Recovery Wizard

But, you need to be able to get to the 'Advanced Boot Options' menu.

Download: Windows Recovery Discs

Good luck.

Mike

david0

I tried that. But since the wiping and installing-over of the original OS, the options have changed. But I did in fact tried that before this and it didn't work then either. I explored all the "Repair Computer" etc. options and all of them asked for a backup media instead of bring up the restore partition. I don't know why Toshiba makes this so hard. Also don't know why they apparently refuse to post all the drivers for download so I can just install from an XP setup disk. XP does not have drivers for modem, sound, wireless, NIC or graphics! I checked the downloads for this model and neither does Tosiba. Shame on them!

Super Advisor
miker643

This is a peer support forum. Even though Toshiba USA freely provides this space, no Toshiba techs, customer support, or other personnel view, comment on, or offer advice here.

But, there are quite a few knowledgeable users and Toshiba owners here who are happy to help you in anyway they can.  Please post your full model number, like Satellite A205-S4537. Also, please include your laptop's part number, like PSAF0U-01P010. You can find this information on the Toshiba label on the bottom of your laptop.

After you post this information, let's see if we can find the XP drivers you need to get working again. Don't despair just yet.

Mike

david0

My original inquirey regards the following Toshiba Satellite laptop model:

A205-S5800 System Unit

MOdel No. PSAF3U-0NQ015

SN: 184275560

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite A205-S5800 PSAF3U-0NQ015 Specifications

It is unclear to me now if you are trying to use a Windows Vista 32 disk, or a Windows XP disk, to try to rebuild your system.

If you have a Vista 32 disk, use that and the Windows Vista(32) drivers/utilities from your Toshiba USA site.

Satellite A205-S5800 USA-Downloads

In that case install the drivers and utilities in this order:

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility for Windows Vista/XP

Intel Robson Technology Driver

Intel Display Driver for Windows Vista

Realtek Audio Driver for Windows Vista

Then all the other Vista hardware drivers for your system. Use this method to help you identify any unknown devices for example your WiFi card:

How to identify an unknown device

After loading the hardware drivers, then load the Toshiba utilities/software in this order:

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows Vista/7 (32)(v1.2.33)

Then all the other Toshiba utilities and software

However, if you want to install Windows XP, we can use the Toshiba Australia version of your model, and the XP drivers for it:

Satellite A200 PSAF3A Windows XP

In this case, first, you will need to download the storage driver to a floppy disk or CD to install when requested by the XP setup:

Hard Disk SATA Driver for XP Setup (Creates a Floppy Disk with the F6 Storage Driver)

Then after XP initial setup, load these drivers in this order:

Intel Chipset Software

iMSM (AHCI Driver and iMSM Console)

Intel 945GM Display Driver

Realtek Audio Driver

Then all the other hardware drivers for your system.

Next, load the Toshiba utilities and software:

Toshiba Common Modules

Toshiba Hotkey Utility

Toshiba Controls

Then all the Toshiba XP utilities and software.

However, you may decide that getting your system's Recovery Disks is an easier, more efficient way to go, and worth the investment. This will rebuild your unit's hard drive recovery partition and automatically reload your OS, as well as all the drivers and software your system came with, to return it to its factory default out-of-the-box state. The instructions for running these disks begin on page 64 of your A200-A205 Series User Guide. The overall Toshiba Recovery utility instructions begin on page 57.

Ordering Recovery Media

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, please let us know if we can be of further help.

Mike