oleg

Portege M200 recovery boot problems

I need to reinstall my operation system (I installed new hard drive) but I cant not  boot from external CD drive. BIOS does not recognized any external drives for booting.

My other option are SD and LAN. (BIOS version is 1.2)

Any recommendation and detailed instruction how to boot from SD?

Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Portege M200 recovery boot problems

Which Portege M200? What is the part number? Which country?

-Jerry
oleg

Hi Jerry,

Portege M200

USA

S/N 34021037PU

Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The part number of that US machine looks something like PPM21U-021YD4. It should be on a label on the bottom.

I cant not  boot from external CD drive.

You can boot from any of the external optical drives cited here.

Bootable Recovery CDs -- supported external CD and DVD drives

This one, for example.

PA3352U-1CD2 - Toshiba Laptop External CD DVD Drives

PA3352U-1CD2 - Toshiba USB 2.0 External CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive

Toshiba PA3352U 1CD2 Portege M200 205 CD RW DVD Laptop Burner Drive

-Jerry
olegg66

Hi,

I have ordered the right DVD rom drive that my Portege will boot from.

Now I have two options:

-install Windows XP Tablet Addition (I have found the reinstallation CD for $30)

-install Windows Vista Business

And as I know I can’t install Windows 7.

What do you think????

Thanks.

Oleg.  

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The part number of that US machine looks something like PPM21U-021YD4. It should be on a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
oleg

The part nomber is PPM20U-01FV14

Thanks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Portege M200 (PPM20U-006FD4S)

I would restore Tablet Edition. Get the recovery discs from one of these suppliers.

Digitalmedia-labs.com

MyRecoveryCDs.com

RestoreDisks.com

RestoreCD4u

The Toshiba drivers and utilities for the following model should work for that machine, since that are in the same part-number family.

Portege M205-S810 (PPM20U-07UGSK)

-Jerry
oleg

I get the bootable DVD rom drive (from Toshiba list) and copy of recovery disc Windows XP Tablet Addition.

I have the problem to boot (I have installed Windows Vista Business trial version).

I do not see the massage: press any key to boot from CD DVD.

I see this massage if I use Windows vista CD.

Oleg.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I get the bootable DVD rom drive (from Toshiba list) and copy of recovery disc Windows XP Tablet Addition. I have the problem to boot..

Try depressing the C key when starting the machine from power off.

-Jerry
RonWillison

NOTE.. The solution offered below will NOT work if you have PASSWORD issues, Either Bios or Hard drive.
It would help if you have some dos background. If you don't. This is probably not for you. What I did to save my daughters M200 tablet was as follows.

You will need the following items to perform the process below to save your M200 series Tablet, no Floppy or CDROM drives installed computer.

1 laptop with floppy and cdrom drives. AND the BIOS ability to boot from CDROM. <--means it can't be too old.
1 Floppy BOOTDISK with DOS "5.0 or later" with CDROM support files. Or a bootable DOS CD with CDROM support and associated dos files. Fdisk.exe, Format.com and etc.
1 Windows XP, VISTA, or Win 7 CD. and some ATTENTION SPAN. :smileyhappy:

NOTE I Recommend NOT using Windows 7 as I have not been able to find a supported audio driver. Toshiba does not support it as the M200 is too old I guess. Like me..
NOTE if your hard disk is just corrupted. Remove it from your Portage M200 series. And use it.

Install a new, or your drive into a trusting friends laptop, or other.
Turn on and boot up to dos.

NOTE The dos boot up must have dos based cdrom support. You will not use it. It just creates a drive placeholder for this process.
At the "A:\" prompt. Type FDISK and create two partitions. Primary dos with extended partition. Also remember to create a logical drive inside the FDISK program.
NOTE. Make partitions 5 Gigs each. Leave the bulk of the drive in its RAW UNFORMATED state.
NOTE Remember to set the active partition to "1"
A reboot will be required. Reboot.
At the "A:\" Prompt. Type format C: /s and press enter. Then follow on screen prompts. When that completes.
Type "Format D: and press enter. When prompted for the Volume label for the "D:" drive. use "CD_ROM" <creates a fake cdrom drive and letter for use later on in this process.
Another reboot is required now.
After reboot. Copy all files from from floppy or dos boot cd to C: and reboot. Make sure you have access to both C: and D: drives as well as cdrom drive "E:"
Now place Windows install disk in cdrom. And reboot using the laptops BIOS bootdrive order manager, and install
windows as you normally would. When asked what partition to install windows to. Choose the unpartitioned RAW space. and proceed.
After successful install and your booted up into Windows. Open MY COMPUTER, and the copy your E: Drive To your D: drive.
NOTE You now have your windows setup files on the hard drive.
Shut down and reinstall the drive into portage M200, and bootup. "IT WILL CRASH" Not to worry. As soon as the blue screen reboot starts. Make sure to have the F8 key depressed. Choose REPAIR at top. It will already be
highlighted. Do NOT choose from the other choices down in the list, like SAFE MODE and etc. READ YOUR SCREENS
and choose COMMAND PROMPT when you see that option. Then just type "D: SETUP and press enter key. Windows will now reinstall and be set up with correct drivers and etc.

NOTE "DO NOT ALLOW WINDOWS TO REPAIR YOUR FIRST WINDOWS INSTALL". It will not work. The differences between the hard ware of the two laptops prevents this. Good Luck. It worked for me. Now I get to do it again by down grading to XP so I can get audio driver support. Phooey!