stevenlui

PC would not load. Message: "no bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key"

I encountered this problem two days ago. When I turn on my laptop( model: Satellite L305-S5933) I receive this message:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.05 (071227)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I went into set up utility(F2) and the boot order I tried setting it to default which is:

1. HDD(S1)

2. FDD

3. CD/DVD

4. LAN

5. USB Memory

I do not have a recovery disk. What should I do? Do I need a new hard drive or something? Help!

tech_guy

Re: PC would not load. Message: "no bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key"

[ Edited ]

Is the computer still within warranty, because that means that your hard drive is failing or needs to be replaced/repaired. If its still within 1 year warranty call Toshiba Tech support at 1800-457-7777 to help you with this. and if not just bring the laptop to any computer repair shop

Some Toshiba laptops doesnt include backup recovery disc anymore, I think most new laptops of toshiba today comes with a built in recovery partition and a program that came with it which can allow you to make the recovery disc

stevenlui

Re: PC would not load. Message: "no bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key"

I just replaced the hard drive and the problem still occurs. What should I do next? Maybe I will just bring it into a repair shop. My laptop is not under warranty anymore.

stevenlui

Should I get a recovery dvd from Toshiba website. will that do the trick?

J-G
Occasional Contributor
J-G

Hi there Steve.  Just wanted to tell you my Satellite A305-S6905 is encountering the same problem.  I called the toshiba recovery hotline and I was told that the best thing for me to do would be to order the Toshiba Recovery Disk online.  Good Luck

t_coulombe

Good morning,

I am having the same problem with my daughter's laptop.  It is a satellite C655D-S5518. Serial #2C231282Q and part # PSC0YU-032029. 

I have tried all suggested options above but still no luck.  When I hold the zero key and turn on the computer it just beeps and won't go into the recovery screen.  My 9 year old daughter saved up to buy this with her own money in May 2012 and when I called the tech support I was told to have my credit card ready to pay for phone support.

I shouldn't have to pay for support two months after purchase...

Please help!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I shouldn't have to pay for support two months after purchase...

I too don't understand why the hard-drive replacement would not be covered under your warranty.

Call 800-457-7777 and explain.

-Jerry
t_coulombe

Thanks Jerry!

I called and the guy told me that this computer was registered in February 2012.  Seems odd to me since my daughter purchased it on May 13, 2012 and I have the receipt from Walmart to prove it.  I was told to call the warranty division but they are closed for the night.  Someone has some explainingto do...

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Someone has some explainingto do...

Abolutely!

-Jerry