Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

P75-A7200 Recovery

Hi,

I have recently bought a new P75-A7200 laptop. After setting up the laptop, I created a Shrink Volume of 450GB out of total 685GB which was available. The new Shrink Volume was assigned Drive letter "E" .. I then did the recovery of laptop using Recovery DVDs which i created. Unlike under Windows7 which gave an option of "Out of Box state WITHOUT changing existing partitions" .. in Windows 8 this option wasn't there.. So I recovered it to Out of Box state .. And my Shrink Volume was deleted and just one "C" partition recreated. 

My question are:

1) How can I do the recovery/reinstall Windows 8 on my laptop using revovery media (either DVD or HDD recovery) WITHOUT changing the existing partitions  so that OS is just installed on "C" drive and other partitions are not touched? 

2) Can I add/install a SSD drive in this laptop? and make it bootable drive? Does the laptop has SSD slot to support SSD drive?

3) How do I get into BIOS by pressing F2? because this isn't working.. only way I can get in BIOS is through "Shift+restart" way. I tried do a full shutdown by pressing Shift while clicking SHUTDOWN and then tried F2 option, but that didn't work either.

Please suggest solutions to the above problems. 

An early reply would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Anurag.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Re: P75-A7200 Recovery

Hi! You are way out of my league! It looks like Peter answered some of your questions on a different thread. Don't know for sure when he might log on. Just wanted you to know that you aren't being ignored.

Dokie.:smileywink:

PS I'm staying with W7 for now!

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Hi Dokie,

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering why no one has replied with anything till now :smileyhappy: Yes, Peter replied to my queries regarding my old L755. Those were also windows8 related. At that time my DVD drive disappeared after I upgraded to windows8 from win7.

You're doing good sticking with Win7. Win8 sucks! But now with my this P75, the problem is Win7 drivers are not available from Toshiba or I would have installed 7 by now :smileyhappy: Seems like I'm stuck with 8 this time.

I have found solution to my first question. One has to do recovery using HDD recovery and then choose Reset (not 'Refresh') from "Advance" tile. After that it will give option to make changes to "only drive on which windows is installed" OR " All drives" .. Haven't tried it yet though but researched on the net and found this info. My other 2 question still remain a query though :smileyhappy:

Anyways, thanks for the message. I'll wait till Peter or someone else has solutions to my queries. :smileyhappy: And I'll definitely forward if I know something that could be of some help to others.

Super Advisor
eagle3

[ Edited ]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're doing good sticking with Win7. Win8 sucks! But now with my this P75, the problem is Win7 drivers are not available from Toshiba or I would have installed 7 by now :smileyhappy: Seems like I'm stuck with 8 this time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does any of the Europe models have the same specs as yours ? (P70-A same family)

They have windows 7 drivers  http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=EU

See picture!

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 7, A135-S2256 Windows 7, C55-A5180 Windows 7 ****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Thanks Eagle3 .. I'll check the European website and check if some of the models have same specs as mine ..:smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

I checked SATELLITE P70-A-104 model .. specs are exactly same as mine ..

Thanks Eagle3 :smileyhappy: I'll check other models too and download win7 64 bit drivers :smileyhappy:

Super Advisor
eagle3

[ Edited ]

Great!  Like you a lot don't like W8 and could benefit from this,keep us informed so others will no if it all worked.

Also one of your other questions.

3) How do I get into BIOS by pressing F2? Because this isn't working.. Only way I can get in BIOS is through "Shift+restart" way. I tried do a full shutdown by pressing Shift while clicking SHUTDOWN and then tried F2 option, but that didn't work either.

Someone posted that they had to press fn key and f2 while starting computer to get into bios. Worth a try!

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 7, A135-S2256 Windows 7, C55-A5180 Windows 7 ****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Thanks mate .. I'll try it too .. Although I have tried it before but I'll give it another try.

I called customer care and they told me to discharge the capacitors by removing battery... removing power adapter .. then pressing on/off button for 30 secs .. And then inserting everything back in.. power on and try to press F2 .. I haven't tried it .. Some time this can blow of some fuse or battery controller chip .. so I don't want to mess with it or update BIOS even.. A BIOS update is available for my model .. version 1.10 .. Dunno if it address this issue.. 

Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Hi Eagle3 ..

As suggested by you.. I checked the Toshiba Eu website and have downloaded drivers for win 7 64 bit for P70-A series .. I think most of drivers will work except Card Reader one .. My laptop has Realtek one and it wasn't available on Eu site .. anyways, I can live without Card Reader or even try win8 drivers for that .. some times they work.

My query today is -- if I install win7 on my laptop now, Will I be able to recover my laptop to win8 using Hard Disk Recovery at a later date if I need to? I have heard from some sources that if I install win7, my win8 HDD recovery will be destroyed. Not sure if that's true as I'll be installing win7 on "C" drive only and not touching any other partitions. I don't want to use DVD recovery as it doesn't gives option to install win8 on exisiting windows partition only. DVD recovery deletes all the existing partitions and make it one single "C" only unlike win7 Toshiba recoveries where we get option to "install without changing existing partitions" .. with win8 it is not the case when done through DVD ..

My second query is regarding BIOS update (v,1.10) which is available for my model .. Shall I install it? and if so, do I have to keep Secure Boot enabled in BIOS or Can I do it with Secure Boot disabled. Will it be advantageous to install this update of shall I just keep my existing one as it is?

Please advice.

Thanks.

Super Advisor
eagle3

Zenblue777

I can not answer the partition and recovery question my new laptop came with W7 and I have not messed with 8 at all, the only thing I can suggest is to check your disc management to see if your partitions are all there.

The bios question:

Restart computer and hold f2 when the screen goes black and wait for the bios setup utility to launch.

Select advanced, then system configuration, then boot mode

see if you have option for UEFI and CSM  (UEFI for Windows 8 and CSM or legacy for windows 7)

change to CSM or legacy option that is what is used for windows 7.

Also in bios setup utility select Security, then Secure Boot, then you have to disable secure boot for windows 7

Bios update 8.1 - I think I would hold off, there are many issues and some people have PM'd Peter with problems regarding that update.

Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Thanks for the reply Eagle3,

I think I'll wait for a while for another BIOS update as you said the current update has some problems..

Secondly when I do I intend to do BIOS update through win8 as this is the default OS this machine came preloaded with. So still on issue of BIOS and doing it through win8, while doing it :-

1) Can the BIOS update utility an executable? Can it be launched from within win8? OR do I need to make a bootable CD for that?

1) Before doing the update -- Secure Boot has to be "Enabled" or can it be done with it "Disabled" ??

2) Boot Mode .. I think it has to be UEFI? or else win8 won't boot?

About the Partitions/HDD Recovery question -- I have not yet installed win7. Although I have reset win8 once through HDD option.

Before I did HDD reset of win8, the following partitions were listed in Disk Management :-

•  Healthy Recovery Partition - 1.00GB
  •  Healthy EFI System - 260MB
  •  "C" Healthy Primary Boot Partition -- 226GB NTFS (approx)
  •  "D" Healthy Primary (I created this as shrink vol) -- 461GB NTFS (approx)
  • Healthy Recovery Partition -- 10.91GB

After I did the 'reset' of windows8 through HDD recovery, an additional partition was added :-

•  Healthy Recovery Partition -- 350MB

I'm wondering why another recovery partition of 350MB was added after doing HDD reset?

About my other question about installing win7 and if that would delete my existing HDD Recovery Partition -- Could you please forward this to Peter? Because I don't want to start win7 install unless I'm sure that my HDD recovery of preinstalled win8 will stay. If it gets deleted while/after installing win7, then I suppose I'll have to rethink about installing 7.

Thanks for you patience and taking time to go through my long queries.

Super Advisor
eagle3

I sent you a PM check your inbox.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P75-A7200 (PSPLNU-00H004)

I'll be installing win7 on "C" drive only and not touching any other partitions.

It's a new ball game!

Turns out that you'll be unable to install Windows 7 to the disk as it stands. That's because the way the UEFI is set up it requires GPT partitioning. In order to install Windows 7, you will need to disable Secure Boot and change the UEFI boot to CSM (Compatibility Support Module), which does not support GPT partitioning.

The upshot of all this is that in order to install Windows 7, you will need to delete all the existing partitions and repartition using the old MBR scheme.

You can read about GPT partitioning here.

GUID Partition Table

BTW, different OEMs do this somewhat differently. I'm telling you about Toshiba models.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the message. After going through your message and also the wikipedia link you sent, it appears to me that I won't be able to install win7 on my laptop without repartitioning my HDD to older MBR scheme which will effectively kill all my Recovery Partitions for win8. I wouldn't have any problem doing that even if DVD Recovery of win8 contained an option where win8 can be installed on existing windows partition only. Unfortunately Toshiba has deleted that option from DVD Recovery options and because of this, whenever someone tries to recover using DVD, it will delete all shrink Vols and make one "C" drive only. I wonder why this option isn't present in DVD recovery while it is present in HDD recovery. :smileysad:

Coming back to wikipedia article.. what I could understand was GPT is adopted because it address larger HDDs and different sector sizes BUT could you please explain section 6.3 of that article where it says that in win7x64bit and win8x64bit .. boot support is UEFI and "MBR takes precedence in hybrid configuration" .. What is hybrid configuration? Is it by any chance possible that my laptop has a Hybrid configuration or is it purely "GPT based"?

Another question I have is -- I have a retail copy of win8 Pro 32 bit .. Will windows8 32 bit in a GPT scenario address RAM over 4GB(as my laptop as 8GGB) or 32 bit windows OSs can address RAM maximum upto under 4GB? I am asking this because although the preinstalled OS is 64 bit, not many applications which people use commonly, for example, web browsers etc are still 32 bit and many times run slow on 64 bit machine as compared to 32 bit machine.

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions Jerry. Really appreciate it.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

please explain section 6.3 of that article

Sorry, I can't take the time to get into technical discussions. I hang around here mostly to troubleshoot problems with Microsoft products, especially Windows.

Will windows8 32 bit .. address RAM over 4GB

That one's easy. No version of 32-bit Windows with any partitioning can see RAM over 4 GB.

BTW, I put Windows 7 on my Windows 8 machine this way.

-Jerry
Peter

If there's no option to keep the existing partitions when doing the recovery using a DVD, then I don't know of a way to do it easily.

I don't know if you can add a second drive. I know that you can customize a build-to-order P70 with two drives, but sometimes a model that only comes with one will lack the connectors even if its case has a slot for another drive.

Have you still been unable to get into the BIOS? Try all of the following (after a full shutdown): Hold F2, tap F2, hold FN and F2, hold FN and tap F2.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Thanks for the message and link Jerry.

I'll go through it thoroughly before trying anything .. VM option won't work for me as I think my laptop doesn't have win8 pro ..

Section 6.3 of wikipedia article was about Hybrid MBR .. but that seem quite complicated to me and I'm not sure if my laptop has a Hybrid MBR or purely GPT.. anyways, seems like I'm stuck with win8 for now ..

Thanks for all the help.

Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Hi Peter,

Yes, I'm able to get into BIOS if I do a complete shutdown through Shift+restart option and then tapping F2 repeatedly. I have disabled 'Secure Boot' though ..

I think my laptop has more then one HDD bays .. Atleast in BIOS it shows HDD 3 bays .. I haven't opened laptop from back side to check it though.. it's a 2 month old laptop and I dn't want to mess up anything with hardware so early. I wonder why DVD recovery doesn't have that option to 'install windows w/out changing existing partitions' as was there in win7 recovery DVDs.

anyhow.. thanks for all the help.

Regular Advisor
bmurray

I have seen someone with same model post about adding a second drive (ssd) so I it is possible.  You can do a search this forum for the post as he provides good detail of how he set it up (not obvious).

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Occasional Contributor
zenblue777

Hello,ppo

After trying hard to get win 7 installed on my P75-A7200, I gave up because it was too much of a hassle changing filing system or even installing another HDD or SSD.

I recently, upgraded my laptop from preinstalled windows 8 Core to windows 8 Pro. Reason for that being that Core product doesn't have Group Policy editor and I wanted one, so I installed Pro today. I downloaded all the relavent drivers for win 8.0 from support website and installed them one by one after installing Pro. Everything is working fine .. Most of the Toshiba specific applications got installed except one ---- HDD Acceletator .. It gives an error which says "" this enviornment is not supported -- (2008) "" I'm unable to understant what this error is ..

I have installed Intel Chipset driver.. Rapid storage ones... display ones.. wireless display ones and intel wireless LAN .. yet I get this error ..

Can anyone please help me to sort out as HDD acceleration improves 5400 rpm HDD performance quite a bit.

Thanks