MickD
Accepted Solution

P505-S8980 Had to Wipe without my own Toshiba Recovery Disks

Had my Satellite P505-S8980 laptop go to pieces today. I highly suspect BitDefender Internet Security 2010. Before my computer crashed, I noticed that BitDefender had installed a new update which required a reboot. I ignored the reboot notification and continued working. I tried opening a PDF document, forgetting that my trial download for Acrobat Pro 9 had expired. Needless to say, the program quit responding and the Blue Screen had appeared. I was running Windows 7 64-bit with 500GB HD, 6GB of RAM and BD-ROM SuperMulti Disc. Luckily my Room Mate has a Toshiba too, so I borrowed his Toshiba Recovery Discs 1 & 2.

Before, I had tried my windows repair disc but to no avail. I did not get very far and received "BootMGR missing" message, and could not get the windows recovery disc to do much of anything. Now after using my buddies Recovery Disc and got my laptop up and running, I get a message saying that my Windows 7 is not a valid copy. I suspect that I am having this problem since I did not have my own Toshiba Recovery Disks. I tried to re-certify my Windows 7 with the key located on the bottom of my laptop. But, the key I have entered has expired. I am just happy to have the darn thing working again, otherwise I wouldn't be posting on this forum.

Would it be best for me to [spend $30] a Media Recovery Disk for my specific Toshiba laptop? I'd rather not pay $109 bucks for another windows copy. I purchased this laptop 1/9/2010 from a Best Buy retail store. I could kick myself in the butt for not creating my own Recovery Disks, but I think something more sinister is happening below the surface. What should I do? Thank you.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

Re: P505-S8980 Had to Wipe without my own Toshiba Recovery Disks

are you sure you are putting in the correct windows key from the bottom of your laptop? that key will not expire in 3 months. when you try to activate your product key it will give you a number to call microsoft and tell them that your key says it is expired. they should help you take care of this.

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Unless his Toshiba was the EXACT SAME MODEL as yours, a P505-S8980 then you are going to have to order replacement recovery disks from Toshiba to fix it.  You should have used the hard drive based recovery process on your own laptop to restore the system to it's factory out of box state.  Once you used the other recovery disks you destroyed your ability to use the hard drive based recovery process until you restore the system with the correct recovery disks. 

The product key on the bottom of the laptop is your COA number and rarely works when entered into a Windows installation.  Toshiba like all other major manufacturer's uses a pre activated volume licensing key that is coded into the recovery process so the user is NOT required to enter a product key or activate the install.  If his Toshiba was a different model than yours it would not recognize the license key. 

When you get your model specific recovery disks you should download the DBAN ISO image and create a self booting DBAN disk to completely wipe the hard drive of everything that is on it.  Now boot to YOUR recovery disks and restore the system to it's factory out of box state. 

If his Toshiba IS a P505-S8980 there would be no problem using his disks as they would be exactly the same as the ones you would order from Toshiba.  In this case you should use the DBAN disk to wipe the drive and try once again to restore the system to it's factory out of box state.  It should work just fine. 

Let us know how things work out. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

MickD

Thank you guys for the input. I will order the Media Recovery Discs and follow your recommendations. Lesson learned.

Appreciate the replies.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

you can get the discs here.   order online

-civicman4-
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
MickD

Finally, it is good to have my laptop up and running again. Everything seems to be back to normal again.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

great! glad to hear it.

-civicman4-
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Good deal.  Now be sure to put the recovery disks in a safe place for next time. 

And once you get the system configured the way you like it and get all of your other applications installed use the Windows 7 Image Backup Tool to create a disk image so you can easily restore the disk back to it's current state in the case of another problem.  It's a lot easier and better than using the Recovery Disks. 

http://www.intowindows.com/using-windows-7-image-backup-tool/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.